PDA

View Full Version : line check

porgy75
03-30-2009, 02:11 PM
As you all know I am new to this game. How often should I change my line? Do you check it every time before you head out?
Thanks guys.

plugcrazy
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
You should change it at least once a season, moreso fishing rocky areas and drag along the sand a lot when jigging or casting metal near the bottom.

Rip-Plugger
03-31-2009, 12:49 AM
As you all know I am new to this game. How often should I change my line? Do you check it every time before you head out?
Thanks guys.

Hi Porgy75,

if you're a plugger then you should change your line a lot during the season.
casting wears your line out faster than you think,I am not sure if you use mono but mono becomes worn after 3 trips out.
since mono is cheap I change mine after 6 trips although I only strip off half a spool and splice the new to the line on the bottom!
I don't do braid since I fish around rockpiles and mussel beds.

R-P

CharlieTuna
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Porgy75,

if you're a plugger then you should change your line a lot during the season.
casting wears your line out faster than you think,I am not sure if you use mono but mono becomes worn after 3 trips out.
since mono is cheap I change mine after 6 trips although I only strip off half a spool and splice the new to the line on the bottom!
I don't do braid since I fish around rockpiles and mussel beds.

R-P

:thumbsup:Porgy, ask yourself what's more important to you, saving some time re-spooling or losing a quality fish? In the Bassmaster tourneys many freshwater pros change their line for every tournament. As for braid, you can unspool to the back of the line, and re-spool mid-season reversing the order onto another similar reel. This is a good trick to save money as long as there are not too many abrasions.

DarkSkies
03-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Charlie & RP's got a point, big fish don't just break your line, they breeak your heart. Tackle problems only rear their head at the worst times. I check my line after each trip and cut some off wehn needed. I also make sure I have enough line on the spool to handle a sustained run in current. I lost too many big fish before I learned the hard way.