PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for April 2009

bunkerjoe4
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JB -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

pescador29
04-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I fish si on the beach last night, the bunker were passing by and I snagged 1. I got 1 striper but he was too small only 27 inches. I will try again.

7deadlyplugs
04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Went out for the first time to Jones this morning, it was windy. No signs of bait or anything else around. Threw a shad for about an hour, nothing. Still good to wet a line, hope we have a good season ahead of us!

pescador29
04-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I got another striper at SI on clams. I put him back he was too small, wednesday we can keep the keepers. Bunker were flopping in the night.

williehookem
04-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Nice, pescador, did you try to snag and use any bunker?

7deadlyplugs
04-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Fished the ocean side, Rockaway area this morning. One small bass on fresh clams, put him back on his way. Can't wait till Wednesday. :fishing:

nitestrikes
04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Opening day, fished the back of an area on the SS, incoming. Used bucktail 1/2 oz, bunker color storm shad. One small bass 20" on the storm shad. It was breezy but a nice night to be out. Let's hope for a safe and bass filled season for all! :thumbsup:

stormchaser
04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Fished Jamaica Bay this morning with a bucktail. :skunk: It was a beautiful morning and sunrise, good to be out.

DarkSkies
04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna add Jimbob's report in here so he qualifies for the free plug in the random drawing at the end of the month. Any report qualifies guys, whether you caught fish, or got skunked!! :skunk: :D

So post em up, ya don't see me embarassed to post if I went out and got skunked, no pizzing contests here, it's all good!! :cool:

04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
jimbob

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
The Striped Bass season opened in New York's marine district today. I managed to catch 2 Stripers 25" and 26". I had a big Fish swirl on a Zara spook.

pics
Attached Thumbnailshttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6405&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1239845844 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6405&d=1239845844) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6406&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1239845844 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6406&d=1239845844)

stripercrazy
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice report jimbob. I was out this morning, back of Jones, one 24" bass on a rubber shad at sunrise.

pescador29
04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
fished the SI place last night,it was very windy and bad for fishing. I moved and the wind was better and there were no fish there.I used bunkers.

BassBuddah
04-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I had to get out this morning, threw a bucktail for an hour 3-4am, nothing doing in the FI area out front. It was good therapy. Nice report, jimbob.:clapping:

jimbob
04-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I was out again this evening and took the skunk. I did have a small fish swirl behind a Zara but no hookups.

surferman
04-18-2009, 12:33 PM
fished SI last night. Nada!:skunk:

nitestrikes
04-18-2009, 05:50 PM
In front of Jones today there were some small schoolies, got 3 using fresh clams. The biggest was only 22", however it was a beautiful day and the sun was shining. Good luck to all for the 2009 season.

jimbob
04-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Another skunk this morning, But I did hook a good fish that was about 10 to 15 pounds it got me wrapped around some submerged debris. I got him off it but the damage was done after another run the line parted. I had it close to the net twice. I need to stop fishing with 8 lb test.

BassBuddah
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
. I need to stop fishing with 8 lb test.

Feeling lucky? Then keep using that 8 lb! Just kidding, it was a nice report anyway. :D I fished the front of FI early today, got one runt schoolie around 22" bucktail and porkrind. Not a tap after that.

pescador29
04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
could not get no stripers in si over the weekend, so i went to brooklyn for herring, you can get them in the morning and night. some of them are nice but be careful you can only catch 3 a time. some people are being pigs.

jimbob
04-21-2009, 11:39 PM
I went back out on the river and caught one fish, but it was a 30 1/2" keeper. I have dinner for tommorow.

jimbob
04-21-2009, 11:54 PM
pict

jimbob
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I put away the 8# test

DarkSkies
04-22-2009, 06:59 AM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6445&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1240372440 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6445&d=1240372440)

I put away the 8# test

Gettin ready for the big girls? Nice fish jimbob! Were you using the famous Spook again, or something else?

Looks dark and healthy. :clapping:

nitestrikes
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Nice work jb.:clapping: Got into some small schoolies backside of FI this morning, tsunami shads, biggest 22".

jimbob
04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
It was the Zara Spook. I have a video of this catch, it was my first attempt at video. I need some more experience.

stripercrazy
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Fished an inlet SS early 5-7 today. Bucktail and shad, no fish, great morning to be out.:fishing:

nitestrikes
04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
FI again tonight, couldn't buy a hit.

jimbob
04-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I had a 16" Bass fishing a back bay area in Moriches this morning. I raised only one other fish in 5 hours of fishing. water temp was 54 degrees low incomming water.

DarkSkies
04-25-2009, 06:02 PM
At least you were out there tryin, jimbob. :thumbsup: I got blanked this am. Did you have a heavy fog up there this morning? Looked like a Steven King movie where I was.

A bunch of other guys only hit a few shorts on the rb side, seems everywhere was a little off last night and this morning. That's fishin!!

Tonight could be better, I'll be out there. Check your pm's, top right hand corner of the page. ;)

jimbob
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, it was foggy yesterday it burned off around 10:00. I went out this morning to the same spot and had one swirl just before sunrise, which was great, but I did not catch any fish.

DarkSkies
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
jimbob, I was with about 10 misfits last night that hit some of the best SI spots for some serious fishin, all we could manage among the 10 of us was 2 keepers, one short bass, and a few missed hits. Nothin for me. :D It was tough all over last night, I think, still good to get out. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Fished a few NY places last night with G, 7:30pm- 5:30am. We must have covered 100 miles. In the first place, it was the old familiar " you should have been here 2 nights ago, where fish up to 45" were caught" The people had a few small fish last night, very slow. Did meet a few hardcore pluggers who were throwin pencils, nice to meet ya's, many thanks for the local intel you shared. :HappyWave:

We changed plans and went to another area.
We set up near a very rocky place where there was current passing through. The bite was spotty, fish hit light, 2 swings and 2 misses for us as we held our poles. We were fishin clams at that place because boat guys did well near there in the day.

Wind: the wind started out s/sw and put a decent chop on the water, which was good. While fishin, it died down, water became too calm, I don't really like when that happens. Later, it shifted to a N/NE pattern. Barometer was dropping when I checked, which to me is also a good indicator to get out there.

It seemed the bite died there, so we hit another "old reliable" spot. Too crowded, though people were going home by midnight, Snagged some bunker, and set up our stuff. Within 10 minutes G had a very nice runoff on his livelined bunker, :wow: but didnt hook the fish. It was good tension for a minute or so anyway, the kind where in the pit of your stomach tightens and you think, man I need this fish! :drool:

Later on around 3am the bunker got more active and we had some expectations we would hook up as bass started running through the bunker. They must have been smaller bass, and then only a few, because no hookups on our bunker chunks or clams but we tried like hell. That only lasted 10 minutes, and then it slowed down until there were just bunker sporadically feeding until we packed it in at 5:30am.

We'll gettum next time. :D

jimbob
04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
wow, Darkskies you really put in some time. It will pay off sooner or later.
I was out before work this morning I fished the same spot I have been fishing from 5:00 to 7:00 I had one swirl on a popper that was it. I am going to a different place in the morning.

DarkSkies
04-28-2009, 01:47 PM
wow, Darkskies you really put in some time. It will pay off sooner or later.

Yeah, it paid off last night........

with bluefish!!! :viking:

Fished 10:30-5:30am. Started in NJ with AA and one of his crew. We were lookin for fish in current. 1st spot there was too much weed and tree branches floating by on the outgoing. They bait fished, I plugged with small swimmers and shads for 2 hours, nothing for any of us.

Went to another place with access to deeper water. We all fished bait, clams and bunker, nothing there either, we gave it our best shot.

Wind shifted from SW to S and back to SW again. I then hit NY for round 2. Found some bunker, it was windy where they were, nice chop on the water. I had some with me, so I fished bunker and clams until 4 at one place, then moved to another place after that, at which time I got 4 bluefish to 8# on the bunker. There was a lotnof weed in the NY spot as well, had to keep casting and re-baiting as the weed built up.

I think the nights of getting pure bass will soon be over, guys. The only way straight bass action might happen is if you can get them around low tide, when the blues tend to be inactive. When that tide fills in, it's yellow eyed demon city! It's still a fish, so at least I didn't get skunked. So far the big bass have eluded me this season, though I see them in my dreams. Next time. :lookhappy:

gjb1969
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
yo dark u should have told me i want some fish if u guys get some blues keep them give them to me :fishing:

jimbob
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I tried a different spot in Moriches bay this morning I had no action at all. Blufish in April, thats pretty cool Darkskies.

stormchaser
04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
You can have the bluefish for awhile, Dark, just send the bass our way.:D I fished the jones area this morning, one short bass on a clam. Beautiful sunrise.

asbury guy
04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Big school of bass 1/2 a mile off nomoco and headding to the bay.

stormchaser
04-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Fished Jamaica Bay this morning. I had some great action on pencil poppers and bombers, bass to 28" and some blues that were 30".

pescador29
04-30-2009, 05:26 PM
i fished staten island last night until the morning. dios there were so many bluefish! some were big like 9 or 10 pounds. we kept them and are eating them. i want a striper too. there are a lot of bluefish here now. maybe the stripers will be scared of them?