PDA

View Full Version : night fishing

VSdreams
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I think that night fishing is the best time to fish. What are the comparisons between night fishing and day fishing?

buckethead
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Seems to me as if it is all the same for me. No fish durning the day, no fish at night!

crosseyedbass
06-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Even with the weird noises in the night I love to fish then. The solitude, the unknown of what is happening out there. You have to use your senses more. You have to listen for the sounds of the bait. You have to feel the pull of the line. There are less people to deal with. I am always drawn to night fishing.

stripercrazy
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Everyone catches fish at least once in a while. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. That being said, night time is the right time. :D

vpass
06-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I have been fishing nights mostly for the last 2 years. I love the quiet time. I feel more at peace with my surroundings. I have notice that I’m catching more bass consistently, and more keepers then past years. I'm also catching less blues. I don't know if it is normal to catch less blues at night. I think it has to do with the slower retrieves. I only caught 2 blues last year, and many bass. This year I have caught lot of blues, but all during the day none at night. I will be out tomorrow night from 10 pm to low tide. I hoping the bass are there also. My favorite plug is the black bomber, and blurple bomber. I also retrieve painfully slow, drifting with the current. Let us know what your experiences are fishing nights, and your favorite plug.

eatonfish
06-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I've had luck with a black bomber at night too but never have caught any fish with top water/floating plugs. I usually give up and go right for the bomber. Any one have more luck with top water stuff?

DarkSkies
06-07-2009, 01:56 AM
My favorite plug is the black bomber, and blurple bomber. I also retrieve painfully slow, drifting with the current. Let us know what your experiences are fishing nights, and your favorite plug.

IMO the bomber is one of the simplest yet deadliest plugs in any surf fisherman's arsenal, and ya don't cry if ya lose one, just pay $4-6 for another one and you're back in business.

Vpass, I learned this lesson the hard way when we met CharlieK at Sandy Hook, and he was outfishin us 10:1. Sometimes it doesn't feel like fishin, I feel guilty. But it's a technique that works well in current. It also works very well when the water is colder and the fish are sluggish. Other than using bucktails and rubber on the bottom during times like that, painfully slow is sometimes the only thing that will turn a night of not catchin to one where you score. :thumbsup:

Frankiesurf
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't think they make an entirely black Bomber anymore. I believe blurple is the closest you get.

VSdreams
06-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!:)

JakeF
06-29-2009, 02:57 PM
I've had luck with a black bomber at night too but never have caught any fish with top water/floating plugs. I usually give up and go right for the bomber. Any one have more luck with top water stuff?

The vast majority of the fish I catch are on large metal lipped swimmers (like surfsters, pikies, dannies, etc.) fished on the surface just fast enough to impart action. :thumbsup:

A big part of fishing these successfully is to know the structure underneath your plug. Learn where the rocks, bowls, cuts, bars, etc. are, and work the edges the structure. Blindly casting is hit or miss.... :thumbsup:

mick2360
07-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Leaving the beach exhausted at sunrise is one of life's guilty pleasures. I rarely fish in sunlight, unless I am getting someplace early and waiting for dusk. Just one thing to add; safety is a consideration. Fish with a partner, wear a vest and carry a cell phone, or at least one of the three! A mistake made in daytime is usually not a big deal. At night, in the current, they can be deadly. :thumbsup:

storminsteve
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
For the spring run will you guys still be night fishing or will you concentrate on any part of the day? I like the fishing the bays right before dark if it coincides with outgoing high tide.

gjb1969
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
i have had good luck day and night sometimes in the summer fishing the night is better its not as hot less people to get in your way both have pros and cons whch one flotes your boat:)

nitestrikes
02-18-2010, 09:02 AM
For the spring run will you guys still be night fishing or will you concentrate on any part of the day? I like the fishing the bays right before dark if it coincides with outgoing high tide.

Me too. After 2 or 3 real sunny days the water coming out of the creeks will be very warm. Find some sedges near the channels or deeper water. Match this with the sunset or late afternoon bite and it's a good fit.

stripermania
03-26-2010, 09:04 AM
When it is dark and I can't see the line I depend more on my sense of feel with the line. It is amazing how much more you are in tune to all of your senses at night.