PDA

View Full Version : Bait fishin: Aggressive or Not?

DarkSkies
04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Are you an aggressive bait fisher? Why or why not?

So I can't sit still for 5 hours at a time, most people know I'm pretty hyper. I feel better if I hit a spot, and it it's not happenin in an hour's time, I move on to another that might be better for that tide.

Some of the guys I look up to will sit there 6 hours at a time, they'll have a lotta downtime, but they'll hit that big fish when the action heats up for the magic 15 or 30 minutes.

The other night I moved around and hit 5 short fish. A few nights later I think I got 4 sitting there and waiting. It's probably the same results, but I feel better moving around, I feel it gives more shots at fish. My feeling is....if the fish are there you will know within a short while. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, how many out there change bait a lot? I won't leave a piece of bait on for longer than 15 minutes, it's my feeling that as the scent trail gets weak that bait is less attractive. Fresh bait = fresh fish.:thumbsup:

7deadlyplugs
04-04-2009, 06:26 PM
If I have to fish bait, Im not too happy about it. I bring a 6 of brew in a cooler. First try plugging as much as I can should there be fish around. Nothing with the plugs, I'll sit on the bucket and drink the beer. When the beer is done, I'm done whether I caught fish or not. :plastered:

BassBuddah
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I know you're trying here Dark, but a lot of us hate bait fishing. I would rather bucktail given the choice. If I have to fish bait, I would probably move around a lot too. :D

Rip-Plugger
04-04-2009, 11:51 PM
I know how to bait fish but loath doing it unless there are larger fish stacking up in a channel and thats the only way to get to them.
I have 1 spinning setup for doing bait but it's waay dusty now.
I will do it only if the action is hot and the fish large.

R-P

Finaddict
04-05-2009, 01:02 AM
I love to baitfish. I have earned the name of "masterbaiter" from the locals B&T shops in the area.:cool: I don't mind it, it pretty kool.

I have been doing the masterbaiting thing for some years now, so I have a general idea of what time for what bait I am going after. I will change spots if one doesn't produce. I do not sit and wait for hours on end to get bait.

As for changing bait, in the early spring and late fall, I do not change bait every 15 minutes. The fish seem to come in schools here and it may be 1/2 hour to an hour between schools.

During the summer months, yes I check or change my bait regularly, do to the crabs.

bababooey
04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I fish mostly from the boat, so my experience may not necessarily work for any of you surf guys. First of all, with clams we will buy a bucket of clam bellies, punch some holes in it and put it on the bottom. I find we don't have to change our baits as much as the fish will be drawn to the bucket. I do know that when using sandworms for bass or weakfish, I will change the bait almost every time I bring it up. I don't have to take the old worm off, just put a new one on. So from my experience, with worms, fresh bloody scent is everything. :drool:

That's why you buy sandworms by the flat. Same with bunker, we will chunk with small pieces, but I like to put a fresh piece on as often as I can, dependiing on how much bunker we have for the day.

Finaddict made a good point about checking more often as the water warms. When crabs are active, it's almost stupid not to check and rebait. Why would you let your rig sit out there without any bait on it? And finaddict, masterbaiter is an ok name, unless they were calling you that back in grammar school, then, not so good.:eek: :D

Finaddict
04-05-2009, 11:32 AM
And finaddict, masterbaiter is an ok name, unless they were calling you that back in grammar school, then, not so good.:eek: :D

:naughty: LOL No it took me getting married and a few years after that is when I got the name:cool: Go figure:rolleyes:

bababooey
04-05-2009, 11:39 AM
:naughty: LOL No it took me getting married and a few years after that is when I got the name:cool: Go figure:rolleyes:

Finaddict, I think I have the answer. This is the premise to my new book for men who can't get laid after marriage. I'll be putting it out for $19.95, maybe it will be as popular as "How to get rich with no money down!":kooky:

Here's the opening chapter...
There is one known food that will kill a woman's sex drive as soon as she eats it, what is it?

Answer: Wedding cake! :ROFLMAO:

Frankiesurf
04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I ONLY fish bait when I am stationary. If I am at the beach with my wife and she would like me to spend some time with her without walking the beach plugging I will toss some clams or chunks. Usually to sea robins and just to feed the crabs. I change it after every beer or after a few beers, whenever I remember.

I know it has its time and place but I just can not stand there and not be doing something. It irritates me. I have no idea how Dark Skies can stand in one spot for very long at all. He is Mr. Caffeine.:scared::scared:

bababooey
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I change it after every beer or after a few beers, whenever I remember. frankiesurf's motto,,, one beer, one clam, one bass,,,:plastered:;)

It irritates me. I have no idea how Dark Skies can stand in one spot for very long at all. He is Mr. Caffeine.:scared::scared:

Yup Dark, you know caffeine is a drug too. Maybe you should start a thread who knows Mr Caffeine?;)

ZU72Qv4cnd4

gjb1969
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
for me any kind of fishing is not agressive i am so relaxed fishing any way shape or forme so i dont see how some people get so out of wak i dont get it thats my 2 cents:huh:

clamchucker
04-18-2009, 08:33 PM
DS, "Good things come to those who wait." I hope you are aware that there is more than one way to skin a cat. :HappyWave:

albiealert
06-20-2009, 05:09 PM
With all this rain we are having I am back to bait fishing. I have been using clams, so far no luck. I will try an area for an hour, and them move. The areas I fish have been quiet at night, so at least I can have some solitude.

clamchucker
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I was looking back over this post and reminded of Ernie Wuesthoff. He and some other fellows would sometimes walk/jump the clam to get it to the exact spot in the hole they wanted. In that sense I would say you need to be aggressive. Active is probably a better word. There are many fishermen who will dead stick 7 rods and take a nap. You need to be ready for the moment of the strike or you could miss the hit.

rip316
02-13-2010, 07:34 PM
I like to walk and cast but, If I have heard of more of a bait bite I will definately soak bait.

surfstix1963
02-14-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm not a big fan but if I do it's eels at inlets slacking water and bunker or shad off the beach I don't do clams unless it is right after a storm.

7deadlyplugs
01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
I was looking back over this post and reminded of Ernie Wuesthoff. He and some other fellows would sometimes walk/jump the clam to get it to the exact spot in the hole they wanted. In that sense I would say you need to be aggressive.

Even though I don't bait fish much, I liked that tip, it makes sense. Thanks clamcchucker.