PDA

View Full Version : Jig effective bait

7deadlyplugs
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
The jig -- a simple but effective bait

JIGS: Options are many

Posted By JOHN VANCE

Posted 3 days ago

Afew weeks ago, we were discussing the fact that if people would expand their knowledge base a bit and embrace new fishing techniques, they'd likely enjoy the fishing experience more.
Those who try other fishing methods are expanding their horizons and catching more fish. This simultaneously increases their consistency at what we like to do. With these ideals in mind, we'll look at a number of fishing strategies over time that enable those of us new to some of these methods enough basic knowledge to have some fun and be successful as they try the concept.

Consequently, they'll also become more accomplished as a fisher.
Modern jig varieties are vast in size and shapes and weights. Perhaps most important for us to consider is the fish species and water conditions encountered. Important aspects when choosing the proper jig style is weight, especially if current is present, as well as subsequent colours chosen for your fishing adventure.
If fishing spring-run walleye in a high-water river, you'll need a relatively heavy jig such as half ounce or slightly smaller at 3/8ths ounce. Fishing a lake from a boat, most use a lighter jig. A 1/4th ounce jig, or even 1/8th or 3/16ths is best if the fish are neutral or negative.

Jigs are enhanced dramatically by a piece of live or natural bait tagged onto the hook, especially for jigs fished slowly or dragged through the mud.

Jigs adorned with a plastic twister tail or tube are especially effective for perch, walleye and smallmouth bass.
Favoured colours for walleye are chartreuse and orange with black, yellow and pearl. Smallmouth fishers often use chartreuse, especially with a tad of flourescent red in it, as well as many darker colours such as purples and blacks and vivid and contrasting colours.
When the going is tough, I'll favour natural colours of preferred forage.

Perch fishers use smaller jigs and use similar colours as walleye. Perch and walleye are related and frequent the same water, while walleye feed on smaller perch.
Large northern pike smash jigs hard. For pike fishing in shallow water, I'll primarily use light and bright colors, and if fishing deeper water for giant lunkers, I'll switch to darker colours that show up better where there's less light. I live release lunkers after having had my fun.

Bucktail jigs are usually the most expensive to purchase and are often hard to find. These may be out of many people's budgets. A capable jig fisher can usually do well using less costly jigs wioth a twister tail or tube jig.

The down side of using jigs is they're continually getting hung up and snagged.
You can add colour to the least expensive and simple painted jig heads by using the proliferation of twister tails on the market. Use a smaller-sized twister and you'll have room for that tag of crawler or minnow section on the hook too.
Purchasing plain unpainted jigs can save money. Paint them up whatever colour you wish. Jigs can be bought bulk in many specialty outdoor shops.

mick2360
04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
More inspiration. I am challenging myself to become a more proficient salt water jig fisherman this year. My freshwater bass go to lure is a curly tailed white twister jig. Deadly. I have not made the same effort int he brine. That changes this year!

williehookem
04-10-2009, 12:19 PM
My freshwater bass go to lure is a curly tailed white twister jig. Deadly. I have not made the same effort int he brine. That changes this year!

That's my go-to setup also. There are probably more fish caught on the white mister twister n jig, or rubber worm, or a jig with porkrind, than anything else for freshwater bass.

I found a video of guys jigging spoons in the colder water, have to try it this year.:wow:
rK9XPPbPYuw

mick2360
04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Deadly technique. Some of the old timers used to use it but it was a forgotten art until recently. Looked like those guys were using too much pull for cold water but the video proves the technique!