PDA

View Full Version : leaders for blues?

blitzhunter
04-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Do you use wire or titanium leaders when casting into blues or do you just use mono?

surfwalker
04-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I haven't used a wire leader in years. I prefer to use 60lb. Ande clear mono, about a four foot section as my leader. I just check it often. I only use the junkiest poppers or metal that I carry in my bag especially for them. When I get tired of catching, then I throw a hookless atom popper at them and race it in, watching all the explosions on it. You would be surprised at how many blues will clamp down on that popper and hold on for awhile. Much fun.

Happy Trails

Monty
04-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Also have not used a wire leader in years. I stick with my standard leader that is 4 feet of 50 lb flourocarbon. I carry leaders up to 80 lb. I check the leader often for nicks. Have lost lots of teasers, not plugs to blues. Have raised the teaser line to 80 lb this year to try to eliminate tangling, will see if it makes any difference in bite offs.

Frankiesurf
04-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I was using flouro but have been slowly getting into mono and Perlon. Flouro is expensive and usually not worth it if it gets nicked and bitten up.

jimbob
04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I use 50# flouro and poppers or tins with one single tail hook I dont get many bite offs, but I check that leader often and cut back when It gets nicked.

surfstix1963
04-13-2009, 02:11 AM
I use flouro because I like to fish deep and try to see if the bass are under the blues if I strictly feel they are all blues then I may use wire.For my flouro leaders I buy a spool of yozuri hybrid fishing line or any other flouro line and use that more bang for the buck does the same job after a few bites or nicks flouro becomes very visible in sunlight.

porgy75
04-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I was using flouro but have been slowly getting into mono and Perlon. Flouro is expensive and usually not worth it if it gets nicked and bitten up.

I'm sorry, but what the heck is perlon???

Frankiesurf
04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Perlon is like mono but a little heavier. Ask you local B&T. they usually have it stuffed in a corner somewhere gathering dust. It comes as single strands and are pretty stiff. If you go over 40lb test you will need to heat it a little to get it to tie a good knot. I have gotten it at a fishermans flea market. One dollar for thirteen three foot strands. Great for fishing around rocks.

porgy75
06-16-2013, 04:26 PM
I use flouro because I like to fish deep and try to see if the bass are under the blues if I strictly feel they are all blues then I may use wire.For my flouro leaders I buy a spool of yozuri hybrid fishing line or any other flouro line and use that more bang for the buck does the same job after a few bites or nicks flouro becomes very visible in sunlight.

I would like to ask you a question if i may surfstix. You say you don't use wire but if all blues you would use wire.
I wondered if that depends on bait fishing or fishing with artificials.
I would use wire when bait fishing in case some big bruiser blues came around. I am thinking it is less important with lures and olugs etc because when they bite it they usually hit the back hook?
interested in what you other guys think too, thanks

finchaser
06-16-2013, 05:22 PM
I only use wire for offshore shark fishing when blues are around 60 to 80#mono or floro leader never a problem