PDA

View Full Version : Moving away from striped bass

VSdreams
04-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Suppose you live near the water where the bass are, maybe 15 minutes from prime fishing. You are offered a job with a company with a 50% salary raise, but you have to move to a state hours away from the coast, and no big reservoirs with striped bass.:( Would you make the move, why or why not?

DarkSkies
04-15-2009, 05:52 AM
VS, I thought seriously about that, but wouldn't do it. I came close when we went to Tennessee, and there's a reservoir there that has striped bass up to 40 lbs. Made it mighty appealing, but there is something about living near the coast. I can be at the water within 45 minutes, or sooner, depending on where I want to hit. The smell of the salt air, sound of the waves, quiet solitude of the water environment before dawn, that's powerful therapy! :heart:

Catching bass is part of the addiction too, but that's only part of the draw. I suppose it's a large part because I couldn't live in a place for very long if they didn't have these great fish there.

surfwalker
04-15-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm with Dark on this one. I couldn't move away and be miserable all the time, I'm only miserable some of the time now. The front just gives me that breath that keeps me going.

jonthepain
04-15-2009, 08:28 AM
I was miserable for the first couple of years, but i guess i got over it.

still hang out on striper forums tho.

GeoffT
04-15-2009, 08:35 AM
The only way I would move would be to someplace close to the beach. Venice, LA, or the Florida Keys, now that would be sweet! :drool:

jimbob
04-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I am 6 years from retirement. if I could still take a few days in the spring and fall to go to Martha's Vineyard I would have to consider it. Move back after I retire.

fishinmission78
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
The only thing that could cause me to move inland is if an eccentric uncle died and left me a strip club in Kenosha Wisconsin.

DarkSkies
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
The smell of the salt air, sound of the waves, quiet solitude of the water environment before dawn, that's powerful therapy! :heart:

Right now I'm miles away from any ocean or salt water. Even though I'm in the land of 10,000 lakes, I'm probably an hour or 2 from any lake that has decent fish. The Lake of the Woods, and Boundary Waters, both awesome places to fish, are at least a 5 hour drive from here.

God I miss the salt!

Maybe some of you guys could put up some pics of some saltwater catches. Even if it's not a bass, I sure miss the pounding of the ocean and the waves in your face. I am slowly coming to the realization that I could never live here. You either work, go to church, or drink in the bars, dirt bike, or hunt and fish out here. I would die of boredom, or maybe start drinkin again. :(

Not for me, I need that salt water! :heart: :fishing:

JakeF
08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Coming from a guy who spent the first 27 years of his life in Missouri (or "Misery" for those in the know), before moving to the coast, it would take a LOT more than a 50% pay increase to get me to move back. The saltwater gets in my blood and even thought of living that far away from the coast again sends a chill down my spine.

DS, I totaly know what you mean. We go back to Misery for a week or two each year to visit family and let grandparents spend some time with the kids, but by the end of the second day I start to get a bit edgy....

Frankiesurf
08-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I lived a four house walk away from some prime L.I. Sound access. I just moved and now I am twenty minutes from water and I can't stand it.

My wife wants to go to California. She wants to apply for her doctorate in Stanford which is just outside San Fransisco. That is the only saving grace since they do have Stripers out there.

DarkSkies
08-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Frankie, they say that California is the home of the fruits and nuts. I don't think you're a fruit, but as for the nut part you'll fit right in. :laugh: ;)

You might miss the famous Stripercoast rocks, but at least you'll be near the ocean. Without the pounding surf, we might as well just cash all the chips in and take the train to Charon.

storminsteve
11-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I lived a four house walk away from some prime L.I. Sound access. I just moved and now I am twenty minutes from water and I can't stand it.

My wife wants to go to California. She wants to apply for her doctorate in Stanford which is just outside San Fransisco. That is the only saving grace since they do have Stripers out there.

:huh:20 minutes from the water, and you can't stand it? I'll trade places with you any time bud, it takes me an hour one-way each time I drive down.:D As for the stripers in Cali, I never heard of a 50lb bass being caught in the surf in California. I wonder why that is? And to answer the question, we had a chance to move to Pa for cheaper housing, and I wouldn't do it because the saltwater fishing would be too far away.