PDA

View Full Version : All about Porgies

DarkSkies
04-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Post up what ya know, don't be shy!! :D

gjb1969
07-11-2009, 11:11 PM
the little buggers love rocky bottom and will hit when there is a good amount of current not to much so u dont wash the chum away drop down to bottom reel up 1 to 5 cranks from bottom and if they are home u will feel the rapid fire bites of the small ones my top three baits for them are bloods sand clam this year i am goint to try spearing i know porgies are aggressive and i want to see what happens i am hopeing to get some good ones hope it works :thumbsup::thumbsup:

plugginpete
07-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Fish some of the inlets around the SS right now, or some holes just about 1/2 a mile out in the Sound and you will catch some dinner plate size porgies right now. I saw a guy who had some the other day, biggest I've seen this year. Nice fat slabs.

Some porgy info....

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/porgy.aspx
porgy

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press. (Hide copyright information (http://javascript<b></b>:ShowHideBylineNum();)) Copyright (http://javascript<b></b>:if ( typeof( window['s'] ) != 'undefined' && typeof( window['s'] ) != 'string') {s.tl(this,'o','Topic | Entry | Copyright');}ShowHideBylineNum();)

porgy , common name for members of the Sparidae, a family of small-mouthed fishes with strong teeth adapted for crushing their food of shellfish and crustaceans. Porgies are found in warm and tropical coastal areas and are especially abundant in the Mediterranean and Red seas and in the West Indies. Best known of the North American species is the migratory porgy, Pagrus pagrus, found from the Carolinas to Cape Cod and called scup in New England, porgy in New York, and fair maid in the South. It is an excellent food fish. Common S of Chesapeake Bay is the sheepshead porgy. The jolthead porgy, named for its habit of butting shellfish loose from rocks and pilings, is the largest (up to 10 lb/4.5 kg) of the family. Of commercial importance in the area of the Gulf of Mexico is the pinfish (6-10 in./15-25 cm).

In Europe the name porgy generally refers to the red porgy or sea bream, a red porgy , common name for members of the Sparidae, a family of small-mouthed fishes with strong teeth adapted for crushing their food of shellfish and crustaceans. Porgies are found in warm and tropical coastal areas and are especially abundant in the Mediterranean and Red seas and in the West Indies. Best known of the North American species is the migratory porgy, Pagrus pagrus, found from the Carolinas to Cape Cod and called scup in New England, porgy in New York, and fair maid in the South. It is an excellent food fish. Common S of Chesapeake Bay is the sheepshead porgy. The jolthead porgy, named for its habit of butting shellfish loose from rocks and pilings, is the largest (up to 10 lb/4.5 kg) of the family. Of commercial importance in the area of the Gulf of Mexico is the pinfish (6-10 in./15-25 cm). In Europe the name porgy generally refers to the red porgy or sea bream, a red fish with blue spots common in Mediterranean and European Atlantic waters. Porgies are classified in the phylum Chordata (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-Chordata.html) , subphylum Vertebrata, class Osteichthyes, order Perciformes, family Sparidae.

gjb1969
07-12-2009, 12:25 PM
very nice fish but to big at that size not very good to eat i have a few allmost that size not very tasty but its still a good fish

williehookem
07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
very nice fish but to big at that size not very good to eat i have a few allmost that size not very tasty but its still a good fish

You're right, I like them between 11 and 14" myself. :thumbsup:
Porgy season has been good this year.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2009/06/12/2009-06-12_porgy_season_is_off_the_hook.html
Porgy season is off the hook

Friday, June 12th 2009, 4:00 AM
With today's New York (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/New+York) opener, it's finally prime time for porgies. Until the end of August, anglers aboard party and charter boats can have a go at the bag limit of 10 measuring at least 11 inches. And captains have been spotting big ones.
Actually, anglers from shore, on private boats or in rental skiffs have already been reporting back from areas such as western Long Island Sound (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Long+Island+Sound) points, with some nice-sized porgies. Quirky state laws have allowed those guys to fish for up to 10 measuring 10-1/2 inches since May 24.

fluke fighter
08-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Sept. 1st is here and so are the new porgy limits for party boat fishing in the local waters. This is one of the most underated fish
from our local waters. First of all is fisherman friendly, meaning , you don't need a lot of high end gear and tackle. Second, great
time to take a kid fishing. Kids hae an excellent chance of cacthing porgies and staying busy. So for all the die hard stripers guys out there, an excellent time to take one of the kids fishing and getting them hooked on the outdoors. Also with the right tackle, like 6
or 8lb line and matching tackle is a great day out on the water.
Lastly eithr fillet or cooked whole it's one of the best tasting fish from our local water. Oh, I almost forgot the numbers from local party boats go up to 45 fish per man. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
09-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Good post flukefighter, now is definitely the time to take the kids out. :thumbsup:

gjb1969
09-06-2009, 12:59 PM
went out on sat looking for some blues or a striped one but had no luck tryed a few spots with not a thing so just hong out foe a while to kill time then went back to fishing just put the big bait out and hope for the best so while the big bait was out got some sands that were just dug up so down they went to see if anyone was home it took a while but we soon got the rapid fire hits from the little buggers took a few to fry today so there are there just have to weed the small ones out so good luck to all :HappyWave:

gjb1969
06-13-2010, 05:16 PM
with the pics i have seen of pork chops i am hopeing to get some nice size chops fro the grill i want to try some new things when cooking them so i hope to get out there and get some i just hope my buzzards luck stays far far away i need some other fish for the dinner table not just blues i have pulled out the bottom fishing rod and man its got some dust on it so now its bottom fishing mode its bin to long i know its not going to be a good site me on a boat i will need a few trips for my sea legs to be good until thenits going to be blow chunk city but i will still go fishing so now i have to st up my rigs :fishing:

storminsteve
06-14-2010, 05:25 PM
I think the biggest porgies on the coast are in LI sound, 3 and 4 lbs they are like monster freaks! We have some decent ones here but nothing like some of those pics I have seen on the sites. Maybe it's something in the water up there.:scared:

tropics
06-15-2010, 06:32 AM
with the pics i have seen of pork chops i am hopeing to get some nice size chops fro the grill i want to try some new things when cooking them so i hope to get out there and get some i just hope my buzzards luck stays far far away i need some other fish for the dinner table not just blues i have pulled out the bottom fishing rod and man its got some dust on it so now its bottom fishing mode its bin to long i know its not going to be a good site me on a boat i will need a few trips for my sea legs to be good until thenits going to be blow chunk city but i will still go fishing so now i have to st up my rigs :fishing:

G don't rush off this weekend season does not open til the 1st of July. I like making them into fish cakes. Good Luck

porgy75
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
What is the best bait to use when fishing for porgies?

DarkSkies
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Some people will tell you clams, and to chum heavy with clams or cat food.

Others will say sandworms,. They have small mouths, so you don't need very much on the hook. You can get 4 baits out of one sandworm if it's juicy enough.

To me, there is nothing like the blood trail from a fresh sandworm piece. I proved that time and time again last night as I got almost instant hits if the piece was fresh. Once it was washed out, the hits diminished until I changed it.

My choice is sandworms, because sandworms are like crack for schoolie bass. Fish for porgies, and ya might pick up a bass or 2 at the same time. They work when nothing else will.

crosseyedbass
08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I like the dinner plates, but haven't caught a large one in a while.

blitzhunter
08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Here is one of the biggest ones I have ever seen, caught this week off LI. A guy caught a 13" and a 17". The 17" looks like a a giant next to the 13". What a catch!:clapping::clapping:

rip316
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow. Good fighters too.