PDA

View Full Version : All about largemouth bass

DarkSkies
04-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Bucketmouths, hawgs, large, bigbass, slobs, pigs, all these great names we have for one of the most popular freshwater fish. Hundreds of millions of dollars spent yearly in pursuit of the bucketmouth!! :D

Post up anything you want to about largemouth bass... facts, figures, pics, videos, anything at all you feel like throwing up here.

If whatever you quoted comes from a published or copyrighted source, please add the link. Thanks.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

mick2360
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Little white jig and twister tail. Deadly.

Rubber worms S-L-O-W-L-Y twitched along bottom.

BIG Jitterbugs from 45 minutes after dusk. Fast enough to sing gurgle gurgle gurgle (yeah, silly but you'll know it when you hear it). Hand on. LMB slam these things.

Hey dark, this isn't copywrited but it oughta be!

paumanok
04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
(Hello Mick 2360.)

Now, I've fished with this guy, Mick 2360 many times. When we're out together I bring one thing--my fishing rod. I draw on Mick 2360's portable tackle shop for any lure I might use. I've never known a guy to tote so much stuff.

We were surf fishing one night and come dawn, Mick decided he'd had enough. He was going back to the car for a nap. "I'll leave this here, case you want something." He set his bag down and trudged off to the parking lot. After a bit, I decided to move down the beach some, to get closer to where I would finish up. I walked over to sling up his bag and . . . I nearly dislocated my shoulder!

It had to be a joke. He was setting me up. I couldn't lift the thing. Surely, he'd taken out all the lures and filled the bag with rocks. Had to be. But no. The bag was filled with enough bucktails and tins to pound out a hull for a new Cross Sound Ferry.

Thing about Mick, though, is he knows how to use each and every one of those lures. He doesn't have a collection of "magic bullets", "the world's deadliest lures", "the latest greatest thing", "the age old secret revealed at last". I've watched him work his twisters with the finesse of an artist, crawl his plastic worms along the bottom with the patience of a saint. I sat in awe (and not a little frustration) one spring afternoon on one of the reservoirs as Mick, with the precision of a scientist, cast a crawdad-colored crankbait up against the shore and retrieved it mere inches off the rocky bottom, pulling up fish after fish after fish.

I think Mick is being a bit modest when he attributes so much the lure itself. A well made lure will certainly attract fish. It's the expertise of the angler's retreive that triggers the take.

Kinda like a Texas two-step: attract and trigger. Which would account for the resounding "YeeHaw" after each of nearly fifty hook-ups Mick had that sunny afternoon.

basshunter
04-20-2009, 10:03 PM
(Hello Mick 2360.)

I walked over to sling up his bag and . . . I nearly dislocated my shoulder!

It had to be a joke. He was setting me up. I couldn't lift the thing. Surely, he'd taken out all the lures and filled the bag with rocks. Had to be. But no. The bag was filled with enough bucktails and tins to pound out a hull for a new Cross Sound Ferry.

How many would you say this guy has in his bag? There is a poll here, maybe his numbers would be off the chart. :D
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3706

paumanok
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey, Basshunter,

I tease Mick all the time about all his lures. But he really does know how to use the stuff. I admire him for that. It's out of respect that I tease him. Otherwise I couldn't be bothered.

I'm an extreme minimalist, myself. I tend to make sport of anybody that carries more than half-a-dozen lures. But I understand the lure of doing so.

As to largemouthbass? When I'm fly fishing? South Bend used to put out this little circular container with about eight different colored poppers. They weren't bigger than the nail on your pinkie. Each had a feather or two tied in at the hook bend. That'd be my tackle box for the day. Sometimes a change of color is really important. But mostly, I don't change flies, I changed presentation.