PDA

View Full Version : NY Small business spotlight April 2009 Rocky Point Fishing Stop

DarkSkies
04-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I wanted to preface this spotlight by saying that I got a chance to meet Stan Hentschel. owner of Rocky Point Fishing Stop, last year when I started reporting on the Shoreham Beach access issues. To me, he seemed a soft-spoken and reasonable guy.

Then they closed Shoreham Beach down and his business suffered greatly. It suffered so much that he had to dip into his retirement savings. Here's a retired guy dipping into his retirement money, the money he needs to sustain him for the rest of his life, and he's doing it anyway.

Why bother, you might ask? Why not just close up shop, board up the windows, and move to Florida???

Answer: Because that's not the kind of guy Stan is! He has roots in Long Island, and he's been up there, and running that shop, for over 33 years.

So instead of lying down and quitting, Stan went to the meetings, endured the empty promises, and ordered tackle and supplies for the 2008 season, having a glimmer of hope that the town would open that beach to fishermen and he could salvage what was left of 2008.

2008 came and left, with no revenue for Stan. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.gif Meanwhile, he had to pay insurance, lighting, heat, and water for a shop that barely had any revenues for 2008. He has 4 or 5 loyal employees that have been with him for years. He could have laid them off and told them too bad, tough break, but Stan's not that kind of guy.

So he cut the shop's hours, reducing his expenses, and kept these employees on the payroll because of their years of loyal service. He didn't have the heart to let them go, so he just sucked it up, and kept paying out money even though he had no appreciable revenue coming in.

Most men would have been angry over this, I know it would get me angry and frustrated.:burn:

When I talked to Stan today, I detected none of the bitterness that one would expect from someone who got shafted like this. He's tough, and passionate about access and his opinions, but not bitter. Stan, you're a better man than I, I salute your sense of serenity. :thumbsup:

Stan just wants to get on with his life, and start selling bait, tackle, and supplies to the fishermen again, and keep busy in his retirement.

I think Stan's the kind of guy who wouldn't enjoy retirement sitting around doing nothing, I think he HAS to keep busy. :D

At least this year, thanks to the new ideas and focus of Mr Lesko and the coordination of the other fishing groups, he will have something to look forward to.

Life is full of sad stories. I know people who are dying right now who would gladly trade places with Stan and the tough times he has faced. Still, he has had a hard 2 years. If anyone is going fishing in that general area, maybe you could think about stopping in Stan's shop and picking up and item or 2?

I know he would be most grateful for your business. Tell all your friends he's open again, and maybe some of them will stop by too.

Life is harsh sometimes. Not every tackle shop or business will make it, it's a jungle out there.

I do know that when we lose one small tackle or bait shop, that's probably a shop that will never be replaced due to internet competition and the big box fishing retailers out there.

Stop by and say "Hi!" :HappyWave: to Stan, you'll be glad ya did!!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

DarkSkies
04-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Rocky Point Fishing Stop

7 Prince Rd
Rocky Point, NY 11778
(631) 744-8330
www.fishingstop.com (http://www.fishingstop.com)

Map and directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,7969324328602523209&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&dq=rocky+point+fishing+stop+long+island&daddr=7+Prince+Rd,+Rocky+Point,+NY+11778&geocode=14884360047065140863,40.949132,-72.922557&ei=-l_rSYvHOI-Ntgf91pjLBQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1

http://www.google.com/mapdata?CxWM1XACHUNKp_sgDwxAjgJIuQFSAlVTkAEDygECZW 4 (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=rocky+point+fishing+stop+long+island&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,7969324328602523209&ei=-l_rSYvHOI-Ntgf91pjLBQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1)

Hours:
Spring Season:
9am - 7pm Weekdays, 8-7 Weekends

After Memorial Day:
7am - 8 pm Weekdays, 6-8 Weekends

Welcome to the Rocky Point Fishing Stop.

Since our beginning over 33 years ago we have provided the public with fine hand crafted fishing rods of all kinds, unique custom tackle, and friendly service.

Originally known as the "Surf Fisherman's Home away from Home" here on Long Island, NY, we have progressed to a full line bait and tackle store providing helpful information and supplies to the Steelhead fly fisher on the Salmon river, the Tarpon, Snook, and Red fisherman in the Keys, as well as the Surf Caster from Cape Cod to Cape Hatteras.

If it swims someone on our staff has caught it! Please feel free to browse and enjoy our web. If ever in our neighborhood stop by for coffee and good conversation.

Telephone: 631-744-8330

FAX: 631-744-8336

Electronic mail: Customer Support@fishingstop.com (Support@fishingstop.com)

Postal address: 53D Broadway Rocky Point, NY 11778

DarkSkies
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Background:

Owned & operated by Stan Hentschel. He's been living on the North Shore since 1970.

Details:

Over 33 years in business and living in that area for over 40 years. Stan is a guy who can roll with the punches, and then some. He almost went out of business from the dwindling sales with the Shoreham access restricted, but he bounced back again and again.

Stan is a great conversationalist and passionate about things he believes in. He has made many friends in that area over the years, seeing their children grow older, get married, and shared good and bad times with all of them. :thumbsup:

What he stocks:

The same stuff you can get in any tackle shop, dozens of rods, many different reels, plugs, gear, nets, gaffs, terminal tackle, sinkers, crab traps, beach carts with the big wheels.

Business Edge:

Stan believes in customer service. With a fully staffed shop, there is almost no waiting, unless you feel like BS'ing about what they're catchin, or not catchin. :fishing:

Fresh Bait all the time!

Stan's website is frequently running specials and promotions of stuff they are able to get good prices on and pass along to their customers.

Take a look at their site, or better yet stop by and say hi to Stan. Ask him how the progress is going with the access, or let him know how you did fishing.

http://www.fishingstop.com/

For any small businesses out there that want to be included in our "Small Business of the Month" promos, contact us at www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/) for details.

DarkSkies
04-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Some of the specials Stan is running as of 4/18/09

All In Stock Items Only:

Navtronics North East Card Chart..Less than $200

AquaSkinz Tops 25% OFF.........................................

LaCrosse 3ply Waders size 12 $65 (reg. $119.95).....

Selected Bucktails 1/2 PRICE....................................

All Tarps 1/2 PRICE............................................. ......

All Bungee & Shock Cords 1/2 PRICE.....................

#150, #50, #350 Pork Rind 1/2 PRICE......................

INTERNET SPECIAL ONLY. 1ST COME FIRST SERVE. CASH AND CREDIT CARDS ONLY.

MENTION FISHINGSTOP SPECIALS AT COUNTER.

stripercrazy
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Stan's one of the good guys, good mojo for this thread. :clapping:

strikezone31
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Another one bites the dust, huh Stan? Keep up the pressure, the heck with the town council, they don't know how to run businesses anyway.:thumbsup:

williehookem
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I never met Stan, I'll have to stop in one day. Thanks for posting this.

rpsurf5
04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Its a great shop ! My 1st job 26 years ago was there ! That is where I learned to surf fish. I dont live in the area anymore, but whenever I need a new rod, I head east to get one of Stans custom made rods, he makes great rods.

Stan has been fighting for access on the North Shore for years. The power of the Internet and all these fishing web sites and organizations has really emboldened him like never before.

Support your local tackle shop. Those are the places who are going to be there when you need them, not a huge chain store or business on the Internet.

John

BassBuddah
04-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Its a great shop ! My 1st job 26 years ago was there ! That is where I learned to surf fish. I dont live in the area anymore, but whenever I need a new rod, I head east to get one of Stans custom made rods, he makes great rods.

Stan has been fighting for access on the North Shore for years. The power of the Internet and all these fishing web sites and organizations has really emboldened him like never before.

Support your local tackle shop. Those are the places who are going to be there when you need them, not a huge chain store or business on the Internet.

John

:clapping:Support your local tackle shop, before there are none left to support. Great point rp. I wasn't aware that you worked in Stanley's shop 26 years ago. That would give you a unique view on the ns area and the happenings. Thanks for sharing your views, do you see Rocky Point Tackle Stop as being able to weather this storm? The proposed new regulations allow 100 permits period, for a total of 200 fishermen. I don't see how that will help Stanley's shop.

rpsurf5
04-24-2009, 07:12 PM
:clapping:Support your local tackle shop, before there are none left to support. Great point rp. I wasn't aware that you worked in Stanley's shop 26 years ago. That would give you a unique view on the ns area and the happenings. Thanks for sharing your views, do you see Rocky Point Tackle Stop as being able to weather this storm? The proposed new regulations allow 100 permits period, for a total of 200 fishermen. I don't see how that will help Stanley's shop.

I hope Stan can weather the storm, he had one bad year last year because of this, hopefully this fight will be resolved soon and his business can pick up again. Beyond Shoreham, the general lack of access on the North Shore has gradually taken a toll om his business. We need to get access back at Shoreham, but there is still work to do beyond that for all of Brookhaven.

IMHO and everyone I have spoken to , Jane Bonners proposal is not a good one. It is not well written and I do not even think it would pass legal muster. I would take her proposal with a grain of salt, no way her proposal will be the one. I am not worried about it.

Her political career has taken a huge hit because of her stance on Shoreham. She was supporting Mazzei and Mazzei lost. Maybe she will get with the program and do what is right at Shoreham. But she is not the decision maker on this, so I am not going to worry about her weak proposal.

There are alot of us , we all came together to protest the banning. The town needs to do what is right, if not, we will only grow stronger and fight even harder. But I am optimistic the right people will use common sense and come up with a plan that meets the fishermans needs and also the concerns of those residents who are reasonable, level-headed and do not have their own personal interests in mind. There are alot of residents who support the fisherman and are not happy about the situation at this beach.

Until this is all hammered out and we get our rightful access back, victory cant be declared, but hopefully most of the hard work is done. I am optimistic this will be resolved soon.

John