PDA

View Full Version : We all need to take a stand. This has the stench of PETA!

Tom Farrell
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Last night at the New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing Board meeting we decided on the course of action we were going to take regarding Bill number A01694. Some of you may know it as Assemblyman Engelbright's no fishing plan. This issue has the stench of PETA written all over it. Below you will see a copy of the Bill. Also below you will see a form letter that has been written to be sent to Assemblyman Robert K. Sweeney. We urge each and every one of you to print it out, sign it and send it to Assemblyman Sweeney who also happens to be the Chairman of Environmental Conservation. Pass it on to your family and friends to sign and send it in as well. This issue is extremely important to all Long Islanders. Act now before it is too late. Act now before this Bill gets any further, for if it does it won't only be Fishing that you are not permitted to do in our waters. You will be kissing your access and use of the beaches good bye forever.

Sincerely,

Tom Farrell
Secretary - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing Inc.

http://www.surfrats.com/gallery/data/500/Bill_A01694_1.JPG

http://www.surfrats.com/gallery/data/500/Bill_A01694_2.JPG

I can't stress this enough. We urge all of you to print out this letter, sign it and send it in to Assemblyman

New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing 89 Narwood Road Massapequa, NY 11758-5925 Tel: 516-647-8492

April 24, 2009

To Assemblyman Robert K. Sweeney Chairman of Environmental Conservation,

The New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing Inc. is writing this letter to oppose Assembly Bill number A01694. Although Assemblyman Engelbright's idea to create a task force to determine the best ways to manage and protect New York's marine life is commendable, the creation of marine life preserves is not an appropriate solution to the problem of our declining and pressured living marine resources for our area.

Marine preserves may be appropriate and useful solutions to protecting marine life in remote places such as the Galapagos Islands, but in heavily populated areas where people compete for restricted access to recreational opportunities, preserves are clearly a bad idea that would infringe upon the rights and free recreation of millions of Long Islanders.

The solution to protecting our marine life resources isn't complex nor is it illusive. In fact, methods already exist and are already in play. Namely, marine life management: in particular fisheries management. The fact we often do a bad job of management because of political and economic pressures should not become the reason to create preserves in heavily populated areas.

Unfortunately, too often fisheries management plans are developed with financial gain for user groups as primary concern. As a result, managers seek to allocate as many fish for harvest as possible. This concept neglects the fundamental needs of our local ecosystems that operate best when we manage for the good of ecosystems and the species that live within them. When such an approach to management is promulgated there are plenty of fish, crabs, shellfish, etc to properly support the ecosystems as well as enough for humans to harvest at a reasonable level.

We strongly urge you not to vote for this misguided legislation and in its place support stringent management policies designed to protect our marine resources from over harvest.

Sincerely,

Preservation. Conservation. Access

Here is Assemblyman Robert K. Sweeneys contact information for mailing and email as well. http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=011&sh=con

Tom Farrell
Secretary-New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing

MSA
LIBBA

Tom Farrell
04-24-2009, 10:12 PM

Tom Farrell
04-24-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.nycrf.com/News%20&%20Events.htm

nitestrikes
04-24-2009, 10:49 PM
"There are estimates that suggest that 10-20% of our marine environment should be in no take reserves..." :kooky:

I'll be sending my letter tomorrow. Tom, do you think PETA is behind this or could it be the pew trust organizations?

Tom Farrell
04-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I have been told by a very reliable source that a certain woman who works in Stony Brook and happens to be heavily affiliated with PETA has the ear of a key individual right now. I will have to leave it at that.

eisey
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
These letters are urgently needed to be sent as soon as possible. The sooner our objections are heard the less resistance there will be.
Between the set up of MPA's and a proposed gas storage island constructed, imagine all our fisherman only allowed to fish in 50% of the productive fishing areas. You think it's crowded now? Forget about spot burning. There will only be a half of dozen spots to fish.

DarkSkies
04-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Great points, eisey and Tom. These kinds of things have the potential of affecting every one of us down the road. Sent my letter out today. :thumbsup:

bababooey
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I live in Jersey but am glad to help. I willl send a letter out tomorrow.

Tom Farrell
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Thank you all very much. If this was to get too far we would be in deep trouble. In other areas of the Country there are no fish zones. Regardless of your method of fishing they are off limits. Can you imagine that happening on Long Island or in New Jersey? Well if everyone just sits back to wait and see what happens we will all know for sure. We won't even be able to step foot on certain prime locations. You won't even be able to walk down the beach let alone fish off of it. This goes for the boat fisherman as well.

stormchaser
04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
If this was to get too far we would be in deep trouble. We won't even be able to step foot on certain prime locations. You won't even be able to walk down the beach let alone fish off of it. This goes for the boat fisherman as well.

Sent my letter today, thanks for all you do Tom and the other guys.:thumbsup:

asbury guy
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Here kitty kitty

buckethead
04-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Now that's a picture for a poster!

CharlieTuna
05-02-2009, 10:18 AM
or this one. (Don't worry it's a magnet)

stormchaser
05-02-2009, 08:54 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6496&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241037271 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6496&d=1241037271)

Sea kittens? :ROFLMAO:

BassBuddah
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Sent my letter. Thanks for all the work and fighting you do for us, Tom. :clapping:

williehookem
05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Letter sent, this is bs!