PDA

View Full Version : Bass heavyweight Record

fishlipper
04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
(Apr. 06, 2008 - Zapata, TX)... Demolishing the four-day BASS heavyweight catch record, Paul Elias of Laurel, Miss., scored his sixth BASS victory Sunday in come-from-behind fashion at the Bassmaster Elite Series Lone Star Shootout presented by Longhorn on Falcon Lake. Elias edged his nearest competitor, Terry Scroggins of Palatka, Fla., by just 4 ounces.
Aided by a 37-pound, 11-ounce Sunday catch, Elias jumped from fifth to first. His four-day total of 132 pounds, 8 ounces, overtakes the previous record of 122 pounds, 14 ounces, set in 2007 by Alabamas Steve Kennedy on Californias Clear Lake (http://outdoorintelligence.amivisions.com/perl/oims_action.cgi?clientid=2043&lid=104&zoom=1&map=0). In fact, the top six anglers topped Kennedys record.
While Elias took the victory, fish factory Falcon Lake also starred in the competition. The mainstream reservoir on the Rio Grande River with a surface area of 83,654 acres yielded catches of more than 100 pounds to all of the 12 anglers who qualified for the final day, setting another record. On Sunday, Scroggins nearly eclipsed the one-day BASS heaviest catch record of 45 pounds, 2 ounces.
With the victory, Elias takes the $100,000 top prize and jumps to 30th place in the Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Angler of the Year standings, the season-long points race that boasts a $250,000 top prize and determines the brunt of the 2009 Bassmaster Classic qualifiers.
It was just one of those days, Elias said through tears. I was struggling early and found a way to entice those bigger bass around 1:30.
Fishing fans can catch all of the big-bass action from Falcon Lake on The Bassmasters on Saturday, April 12, at 9 a.m. ET on ESPN2.
Primarily working a deep-diving crankbait in the first three days of competition, Elias, the 1982 Bassmaster Classic champion, mixed in a Manns worm during the final day.
Sunday, Elias knew he was on the right fish, but he didnt identify the correct technique until later in the day. Switching up his presentation method, Elias threw from shallow to deeper water and was able to upgrade his weight in the final hours of competition.
It just seems like everything is coming together lately, said Elias, 56. I had the best day on the water I have experienced in 30 years of tournament fishing.
Finishing runner-up by mere ounces was Scroggins, who totaled 132 pounds, 4 ounces. Scroggins rallied hard on the final day, catching 44 pounds, 4 ounces, nearly an astounding 9-pound average per fish. But he came up short on two accounts; he missed out on the win and BASS heaviest daily catch record. That record, accomplished by Dean Rojas in 2001 on Floridas Lake Tohopekaliga (http://outdoorintelligence.amivisions.com/perl/oims_action.cgi?clientid=2043&lid=484&zoom=1&map=0), survived the weekend.
Despite the banner day, Scroggins, 39, lamented the one he lost late in the competition. He estimated the bass weighed more than 10 pounds and would have certainly pushed him ahead of Elias.
I just can’t forget about that fish, Scroggins said. Its a shame. But I had a great tournament and an awesome morning that I will never forget.
Scroggins was able to capitalize on the early bite, catching the majority of his fish in the first hour of competition. The five-time BASS winner used a Yum worm and a Carolina rig throughout the competition.
Byron Velvick of Del Rio, Texas, maintained third place with 131-15. After leading the first three days of competition, Aaron Martens of Leeds, Ala., slipped to fourth, weighing in just 19 pounds, 15 ounces for a total of 129-7.
Missing out on his fifth BASS victory, Martens was frustrated with his final-day performance. He was plagued by boat pressure from other competitors all week and was optimistic his areas would hold up on the final day, but it ultimately fell short.

stormchaser
04-08-2008, 10:29 PM
(Apr. 06, 2008 - Zapata, TX)... Aided by a 37-pound, 11-ounce Sunday catch, Elias jumped from fifth to first. His four-day total of 132 pounds, 8 ounces, overtakes the previous record of 122 pounds, 14 ounces, set in 2007 by Alabamas Steve Kennedy on Californias Clear Lake (http://outdoorintelligence.amivisions.com/perl/oims_action.cgi?clientid=2043&lid=104&zoom=1&map=0). In fact, the top six anglers topped Kennedys record.

132 lbs in 4 days, some of these guys are like fishin factories.:clapping: I used to fish freshwater with a friend who entered a lot of tournaments, he would change up the lure every 10 or 15 casts.

nitestrikes
04-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Man that's a lotta fish!