PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Anchor Rigging

rockhopper
04-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Saw this article on the web.

Fishing Kayak Anchor Rigging

How to avoid the mistakes others made before you. Read the instructions and ask in the forum if anything is not clear.

This is an combo anchor rigging tow rope. You can use it to set an anchor or a drift sock on the front or rear of you kayak. If you are wade fishing on the flats you can use it to attach the kayak to your wade belt. Because of the way the carabin hooks are used you can tow the kayak at 1 or 2 kayak lengths behind you.

2 deck loops w/swivel eyes. Fixed eye can be used but tangle more easily.
4 stainless screws for deck loops (if you can get to the inside get screws with washers and nuts.
2 stainle & brass pulleys for 1/16" rope. (Ace and other hardware stores sell them).
2 carabin hooks stainless steel or aluminum (stainless works better in saltwater).
12' to 32' of braided rope. Enough rope to go the length of your kayak twice, so 12' kayak needs 24' rope (You will have some left over. I use crabline because it's cheap and stiff enough).
1' bungee cord to be used as a shock absorber.
1' deck cleat or quick release.
2 screws for deck cleat or quick release. Same thing, if you can get to the back get with nuts and washers.
First step is to prepare your setup and decide where you would like the deck loops attached. I always start with the rear deck loop and decide how far back to put it and if I need it on starboard or port side of the kayak. I like mine on the port side because I'm right handed and in 90% of the times I use the anchor I want it behind me because I'm fishing for fluke or blackfish and the angle of the kayak makes it natural to fish wirh the rod pointing a little to my right (others may feel different, but I'm fishing conventional and reel with my right hand). With the anchor / driftsock up front you are a little more akward but it's negotiable and it's better than a fixed point anchor rigging. The ideal setup is to add this to both sides of the kayak if you are fishing a lot anchored up. If it's used for 1 or 2 trips a year you can get away with 1 side only.

Position Numbers
http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/home/images/stories/anchor/yellow_numbers.jpg
Look at the picture of the yellow tarpon, number 1 is where the front deck loop go, 2 is for the rear deckloop, and 3 is for the cleat or quick release. Up front we can use nut and washer, for the rear deck loop we need a self tapping srew. The deck loops has to be placed low enough on the kayak so the line don't ride up on your lap. I put them close to the seam where the two molds came together, and in line with the handles. That way I can use the strap for the handle to secure the line while fishing or while paddling.

Attach the rear deck loop first, make sure it's paralell to the waterline. This deck loop is later used to attach 1 off the carabin hooks. Next step is to make the shock absorber using the bungee cord and one of the pulleys. Put the bungee cord through the swivel eye and double it over. Tie and overhanh or figure 8 knot in the bungee. Adjust the knot so it's 2" to 3" inches from the pulley. The longer the distance the more shock absorbing but it also brings the pulley back toward the center and I try to tie mine at 2.5". You can cut the 2 tag ends off with a sharp knife and use a lighter to melt the ends to prevent fraying.

For the front deck loop place the deek loop where you would like to have it, mark the holes with a magic marker. Again the deck loop should be paralell to the water and as far forward as you can safely get it. Make sure you can reach there from the front hatch before you drill any holes. Drill the holes for the deckloop and attach 1 screw and washer nut combination, dont tighten it up just get it started. Next step is to put the bungee with the knot pointing down under the deck loop. Make sure both cords are under and then attach the second srew (You may need someone to hold the deck loop in place for you while tightening this down).

Detail Shock Bungee
http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/home/images/stories/anchor/detail_shock_s.jpg
This is the detail picture on how to attach the front shock absorber system. This was my first attempt rigging this and now I'm attaching the deck loop forward and just a little lower. You dont't want it so low or far forward that it goes under the kayak (This is where you need to adjust it so it's paralell to the height of the handle see #3 in picture 1) Look at the pulley and how both strands of the bungee cord is through the deck loop.

Carabin Detail
http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/home/images/stories/anchor/detail.jpg
OK, we are done drilling holes in the kayak and now comes the rigging part. Look at the detail picture below to the right where you can see that the carabin hook is treaded onto the pulley. Attach the carabin hook with the pulley to the rear deck loop (#3 in picture 1). With both pulleys attached to the kayak we only have to pull the cord around the pulleys and to one end tie the last carabin hook. See detail picture below to the left. The other end I put into the carabin hook and you will tighten up until you have some tension on the line. (there is no need to add an extra line like I have in the picture, that is unless you do like me and cut it to short) Make sure the line is running paralell to the kayak next to the handle (#3 picture 1) and mark the line with a magic marker where it folds over the carabin hook.

Rear hook
http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/home/images/stories/anchor/dtail_rear.jpg
Now you can fold the line over at the mark and tie an overhand knot or figure 8 knot. Before you tighten it down all the way test the tension when attaching it to the carabin hook. Also make sure you have enough slack to remove the rear hook from the deck loop. If everything works, trim the tag ends of the line and burn the ends with the lighter so they don't fray. Now you are done and you have an anchor rig that can double as a towline by removing the rear hook and attach it to your wading belt, for more distance unhooh the loop from the second carabin hook and you have the kayak benind you at double the distance.

http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27