PDA

View Full Version : AI/VA surf fishing report 4/25 & 26

RocksandReds
04-27-2009, 03:37 AM
We'll I had a few friends call tell me they were catching some black drum through the week off of the surf, so we(me,chris jr,hunter, and a friend of mine)had to make a run down.We hit the beach sat 6am, caught skates and dogfish all morning on after another, at a little after 1pm my rod doubles over and after a 20+min battle my first black drum of 09 is on the beach @ 49.5"L(friend took the girth I'll post it later)
tok some quick pics&measurement and got her back in the water and sent her on her way for someone else to catch again.

Fished until dark sat, and all day sun,along with Morty, his betterhalf http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0006.gif & Destiny who came down sun for the day and caught skates and doggies. But had a great time with friends and family..
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_1811.jpg

Finaddict
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
It was good to wet a line once again, even if I had to weed out the skates for ya:cool:

surfwalker
04-28-2009, 06:58 AM
"But had a great time with friends and family.." That says a lot right there, enjoy hearing that. That's a great shot. What rod/reel combo are ya using for the Drum? The reports are great and the pics fantastic, thanks, keep 'em coming.

Happy Trails

RocksandReds
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
"But had a great time with friends and family.." That says a lot right there, enjoy hearing that. That's a great shot. What rod/reel combo are ya using for the Drum? The reports are great and the pics fantastic, thanks, keep 'em coming.

Happy Trails

Thanks, rod & reel was a Penn 525mag (worked) and a 12' OM cape point heaver, spooled with 17# sufix tri plus with a 50# shock leader, and a fish finder rig w/ 8/0 circle hook and clam.

surfwalker
04-28-2009, 05:38 PM
RandR, I've never been exposed to the Black Drum, heard many stories. Are you fishing a drop off or do they frequent the skinny water often(open beaches)? Do they usually suck the bait down or mostly lip hooked? Are they ever hooked on plugs? Thanks

albiealert
04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
:clapping:Beautiful catch Rnr. I have never seen a drum up our way. How big do they get, that one looks to be around 50 lbs or over.

RocksandReds
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
RandR, I've never been exposed to the Black Drum, heard many stories. Are you fishing a drop off or do they frequent the skinny water often(open beaches)? Do they usually suck the bait down or mostly lip hooked? Are they ever hooked on plugs? Thanks

:clapping:Beautiful catch Rnr. I have never seen a drum up our way. How big do they get, that one looks to be around 50 lbs or over.

This one was caught off of the bar just off the beach, water depth was maybe 2ft +/- at low tide when this one was caught. He just picked the bait up and swam off with it. All I use is circle hooks so it was hooked in the corner of the mouth, but as big as its mouth was it would probably just inhale a bait.

Weight wise they can upwards of 100#, mine was in the mid to high 60's.

Finaddict
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I know in the Chessey, they get over 100 lbs. We have gotten close to that in the Delaware Bay, but not sure. They are bottom feeders so I don't think plugs will work. We get them pretty regular of the "Coral Beds". They love clams, surf clams, peeler crab will wotk also.

I think the water he was fishing was pretty skinny with a break or two in an outter bar.

surfwalker
04-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the replies

DarkSkies
04-29-2009, 07:41 AM
RnR, beautiful fish, congrats! :clapping::thumbsup:

surferman
04-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Nice fish man!:clapping:

plugginpete
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
RandR that's some incredible fish. I never caught a drum before. How are they for eating?

storminsteve
04-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Spending time with friends and family is what life is all about! Great catch.:thumbsup:

stormchaser
04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Incredible catch, congrats!:clapping:

clamchucker
04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Nice work guys. Thanks for sharing.