PDA

View Full Version : Bass/Deformities

surfwalker
04-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Of the Bass you have landed so far this year- Have you noticed any deformities, abnormal sores, disfigurements or have they all looked clean and healthy?

DarkSkies
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I had one short bass that had broken lines. I know what ya mean about the sores, though :eek: I've seen some pretty sad looking bass over the years, though not yet this year.

seamonkey
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Maryland is having alot of that problem in the Chesapeake Bay area. Here is a fact sheet from the maryland DNR:

Mycobacterium Marinum Fact Sheet

(Also known as: Swimming pool granuloma, fish tank granuloma, fish-handlers’ nodules, surfers’ nodules)

Mycobacterium Marinum (M. marinum) is a slowly growing bacteria that may cause disease in fish
and people. This bacteria occurs in bodies of fresh or salt water in various parts of the world. It has also
been found in fish from the Chesapeake Bay and other waters. Other types of mycobacteria, such as M.
chelonae and M. chesapeaki, may also be present in water. While they can sometimes cause disease in
fish, they rarely do in people.

Human infections by M. marinum are rare. However, people who have breaks in the skin such as
cuts and scrapes may be at risk

· when in contact with water from an aquarium or fish tank,

· when handling, cleaning, or processing fish, or

· while swimming or working in fresh or salt water. One form of the infection, known as “swimming
pool granuloma”, can be due to the ineffective chlorination of swimming pools.
In the United States, most human infections due to this bacteria had been associated with exposures to fish
tanks.

M. marinum infection is not spread from person to person

After exposure, symptoms usually appear within 2 to 4 weeks. Some reported cases have developed
symptoms after 2 to 4 months or longer due to the slow-growing nature of this bacterium.

The most frequent symptom is a slowly developing nodule (raised bump) at the site the bacteria entered the
body. Frequently, the nodule is noticed on the hand or upper arm. Later the nodule can become an
enlarging sore (ulcer). Swelling of nearby lymph nodes occurs. This infection can also involve the joints and
bones. Infections with this bacterium can be treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics may need to be taken for
as long as 6 months or more.

A health care provider should be consulted if a skin nodule or reddened sore (ulcer) develops following direct
skin contact with fresh or salt water or after handling or processing fish.

For people with immune system problems, M. marinum infection can become severe. If an
infection is suspected in such persons, a health care provider should be promptly consulted.

When fish are infected with M. marinum, they may have skin nodules and/or ulcers. Although there are no
documented health problems in people that eat cooked infected fish, as a general rule it is recommended to
not eat any fish that looks diseased. There is no evidence that human infections of M. marinum occur if fresh
or salt water is swallowed.

Steps to reduce risk of infections with M. marinum:

n Avoid fresh or salt water activities if there are open cuts, scrapes, or sores on your skin, especially in
bodies of water where this bacterium is known to exist.

n Persons with weakened immune systems can reduce risk of infection by carefully covering cuts, scrapes,
or sores during fresh or salt water activities and while cleaning fish tanks or handling, cleaning or
processing fish.

n Wear heavy gloves (leather or heavy cotton) while cleaning or processing fish, especially fish with sharp
spines that may cause cuts, scratches, or sores to the hands and skin. Wash hands thoroughly with soap
and water after fish processing or use a waterless cleanser.

n Wear waterproof gloves when cleaning home aquariums or fish tanks. Wash hands and forearms
thoroughly with soap and running water after cleaning the tank, even if gloves were worn.

n Ensure regular and adequate chlorination of swimming pools to kill any bacteria that may be present.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/oxford/research/fwh/stripedbass/factsheet.pdf

surfwalker
04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks seamonkey. I know one time I wasn't paying attention when removing a hook from a Bass and it's fin nicked my cuticle. It was infected for a long time and had to go on antibiotics. Swelled all up and was very uncomfortable, lasted about 6 weeks.

jimbob
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I have not caught any deformed fish so far this year, but I have caught pugnosed bass, and Bass with wounds like Micobacteria, Bass with their stripes worn off, bass with chunks bitten out of them. I even caught one with no tail. I have caught Bass with one eye.

jimbob
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I caught this fish this morning it looks like an injury it is only on one side.

finchaser
05-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Some hybred looking fish with broken lines.
Some with sores that looked like they servived gillnets

surfwalker
05-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I have to say that almost all of the Bass that I got this year were pretty clean and healthy looking, glad to see .
jimbob, thanks for the pics

jimbob
10-20-2009, 11:58 PM
I just caught these two bass today with sores or cysts on them.

surfwalker
10-21-2009, 07:21 AM
jimbob, thanks for posting those pics, I'm always curious about the condition of the stocks.

7deadlyplugs
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
The ones I caught have been clean, but it is good to know exactly what to look for.

rockhopper
10-21-2009, 05:06 PM

I only noticed the sores near the heads. Do you think they could have come from nets, or are they more like that mybacteriosis stuff?:scared:

jigfreak
10-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I once saw a bass that had half a back. He had a spine but looked like a large chunk was taken out of him by a bluefish when he was just a small fry.

jigfreak
10-21-2009, 05:18 PM
. I even caught one with no tail. .

Wow do you know how hard it would be for him to swim very far? Maybe he lived his life in that one place, did you keep him or put him back?

jimbob
10-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Wow do you know how hard it would be for him to swim very far? Maybe he lived his life in that one place, did you keep him or put him back?

I caught that fish in the back of Shinnecock Inlet he was about 24" long and appeared healthy exept for the fact he had no tail.

jimbob
10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I only noticed the sores near the heads. Do you think they could have come from nets, or are they more like that mybacteriosis stuff?:scared:
This did not look like an injury or Mycobactiriosis, they were individual lesions around the gill plates.

Monty
10-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Friend caught this bass today, look a the fin.
Fish was a little pudgy.

jimbob
10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
What is that? It almost looks like a snail.

johnnysaxatilis
10-26-2009, 06:07 AM
gross lol. I've caught a schoolie before that looked like a big Z. the most bizzar looking bass ive ever seen. Also i went to montauk and saw this picture in johnny's tackle of a bass with practically no upper jaw. the face looked like it collapsed, and the eyes were real close together and right in front. sketchy lookin :eek:

surfwalker
12-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Gonna ask again. What condition were the Bass that you caught in Nov and Dec? Any sores, lesions or deformities? Or were they nice clean, healthy appearing Bass?

DarkSkies
12-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Gonna ask again. What condition were the Bass that you caught in Nov and Dec? Any sores, lesions or deformities? Or were they nice clean, healthy appearing Bass?

Surfwalker, the bass I got during that time, big and small, were clean and green, which indicates migratory fish to me.

I have a theory that as the water is colder, there is less chance of a bacterial infection. I can't prove this. The only anecdotal evidence I have is from keeping eels, and small killies, alive over time in an aerated bait tank.

I've noticed that as the water is warmer, they get more bacterial infections and lesions, resulting in me culling out a lot more dead or infected ones. I hardly have that problem when the water in the tank is significantly colder. I also use salt in the tank year round as a belief that the high salinity will help to ward off more infections.

Did your experience reflect that, or was it different from mine?

DarkSkies
12-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Attached Imageshttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7977&stc=1&d=1256097476 http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7978&stc=1&d=1256097476 http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7979&stc=1&d=1256097476 http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7980&stc=1&d=1256097476 http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7981&stc=1&d=1256097476 http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7982&stc=1&d=1256097476

To me, those fish that Jimbob caught in Oct, having the sores in similar places might indicate they were somehow stuck in gillnets and got that way by fighting to get out until they were released.
I don't know if Jimbob has that same opinion, or not.

jimbob
12-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah Dark, I sent a e-mail to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation with those pictures and they told me that it was probably from nets.

albiealert
01-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Also i went to montauk and saw this picture in johnny's tackle of a bass with practically no upper jaw. the face looked like it collapsed, and the eyes were real close together and right in front. sketchy lookin :eek:

I think they call them pug nosed. Don't know why they get that way.

albiealert
01-26-2013, 12:00 PM

surfwalker I was fishing in a river that empties into the Sound in November and December. Most of the bass I caught were very clean looking. There were no sores but from time to time I have caught them with myco. I don't think it is that common where I fish. I do occasionally catch ones that have offset stripes. Hope that helps