PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for May 2009

DarkSkies
05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JB -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

DarkSkies
05-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Spent Fri morning on the yak in Jamaica bay in search of bigger bass. Nothing doing for me or any of the boats where I was. They would clam or jig for a while, and then leave. The water was colder, so the bite was a little subdued. My mobility was limited because I'm paddling, not pedaling. I would say I covered only 1 or 2 miles of that bay. I think somewhere in that bay they nailed the fish yesterday, but not in where I was. :(

Big bass are there, I saw bunker jump a foot out of the water in several low traffic areas. The key is the traffic. I was near the boats, but most of them didn't see the bunker because when they came by, the schools would sound. Fishing in the daytime will become more and more difficult. My next trips will be at night or pre-dawn.

Even though I didn't catch anything livelining bunker, trolling plugs, and jigging deep channels. I learned a lot. I'll write those more detailed reports in the kayak section, as I don't want to clutter up this report section with the agonizingly detailed reports I'm known for sometimes posting. ;) :laugh:

DarkSkies
05-02-2009, 01:16 PM
We have a winner!! :plastered:

Jimbob, you won the plug in the April random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6342&thumb=1&d=1238966711 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6342&d=1238966711)

stormchaser
05-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Fished Jamaica bay in the back today. The bluefish were mean and nasty up to 10 lbs. Dark, I don't know how you managed to avoid bluefish with that bunker you were snagging. You must have hit the one area where they are afraid to go. I was throwing pencil poppers and darters. They only stole a few from me. PM me the next time you're out this way. I'll show you some spots on the flats.

jimbob
05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, thats great, the first time I attempt to post reports and I win a plug, thanks.
Now for the report, I went out to a back bay area in Moriches around 6:00 AM. I caught 3 Striped Bass on a Zara Spook 2 of them were keeper sized. I released them all, I just ate a Striper I caught last Wednesday that I did not have time to post a report for. It was raining on and off all morning. I heard that there were Bluefish on Saturday, too bad I had to work. You have to work when you can these days. I would like to get some Blues for the Smoke house.

nitestrikes
05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Fished the front of Jones inlet today, there were bluefish on and off, and a huge school of something about a mile offshore, the birds were going crazy. Got 6 blues to 8 pounds using an a27 with green tail. I started with a bucktail, only got one fish on that. The green tail seemed to be working better for today.

jimbob those are some incredible pics! Thanks for sharing them with us. How did you get that pic of the bass in the water, what camera were you using?

jimbob
05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
jimbob those are some incredible pics! Thanks for sharing them with us. How did you get that pic of the bass in the water, what camera were you using?

Thanks Nitestrikes, I took a video of the release of that fish and took just a frame from it. I am using a Olympus 770 SW. this is the second year I am using it. It has some limitations, but it is possible I have not figured all the options out yet.

Congrats on the Bluefish I am sure I wil get in on them soon.

pescador29
05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I fished si last night with my friends, we caught about 35 grande bluefish, some were so big they were like 10 or 12 pounds. bunker chunks. jimbob they are great pictures you took

BassBuddah
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Behind FI this am on the flats. Before sunrise, swimmers and poppers, incoming tide, water was clean. 5 bass to 30", most were around 22". Jimbob, I was wondering how you take those shots- is someone else fishing with you, or are you snapping them? If so, how do you angle it so you frame your face, or do you practice a lot, and not let anyone see the crooked pics? :D Really like that underwater shot as well, thanks for sharing.

stripercrazy
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Rockaway inlet yesterday after work, all the blues you could catch, bunker chunks. I got one small bass 23". Great action!

DarkSkies
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Jamaica bay last night 12-6am. , I was the only idiot out there in the rain and the wind in that area. I anchored in a piece of open water, but was worried the waves and wind would capsize the kayak.

Stayed at an area of structure for 1 1/2 hours, fishing bunker and clams, nothing, then back to channels where I got 5 bluefish on bunker chunks. Livelining only produced bunker with chunks bitten out of them. Bunker were being harassed, but I think only bluefish were in the mix where I was.

stripercrazy
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Frontside of FI this morning, 2 small bass to 27", clams. Water was a little rough.

nitestrikes
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Rockaway area, 3-6pm, 5monster bluefish and one 30" bass, bunker.

BassBuddah
05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Hit a GSB back spot this morning, 2 bass to 27" on storm shad. I thought I was on a roll till the bluefish started tearing the shads up, then it was time to go to work.

pescador29
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
si last night it was raining and there were some big bluefish we caught some were 13 pounds!

DarkSkies
05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Fished Staten island in the rain, started at 10pm, bunker and clam on 2 rods. Got one bass 28" on the bunker pole in the first 5 minutes. I thought that was a good omen, but for the next hour it was bluefish. Fished until the rain was pouring too hard and the bite died. Some other people who were there decided to go home as well.

Went back into the truck and decided to crash, every time I woke up to fish it was raining hard. Finally got a window at 5am, made a move and found fish crashing bunker. They were about 300' out. I couldn't effectively present to the crashing fish.

Thought about taking the kayak down and chasing them. I knew if I got into fish I would not be able to leave, and the kayak thing takes extra time. So I spent the next hour plugging from shore, poppers, chartreuse shads on jigheads, and the Ace baits bunker profile swimmer. Even with a streamlined pencil popper, I couldnt reach the main body of fish.

This is what motivates guys to get kayaks, watching fish feed on bunker and standing there not being able to get in on it. :drool:

I tried till 6am with the artificials, and then had to cut out to go to work. Next time I'll try to hit it a little earlier and put the yak in.

It was really nice to fish there, the rain kept a lot of people home. I did run into a few hardcore people I hadn't seen since last year. :HappyWave:

I'll take the rain any night.

7deadlyplugs
05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I'll take the rain any night.

I made it out before the rain last night and fished a north shore bay area. 2 bass to 28" on a black and silver rebel windcheater.

jimbob
05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I fished the Moriches Bay area this morning for an hour and a half before work. I caught 4 Striped Bass and dropped one from 22" to 26" on Zara Spooks and Creek Chub Poppers. Nothing on Storm Shads or Slug-Gos. A bit windy out of the SW, but a great way to start the day.

crosseyedbass
05-08-2009, 07:32 AM
I fished GSB last night, didn't catch stripers but I did catch a couple of blues.

DarkSkies
05-08-2009, 05:34 PM
SI last night, there were few concentrations of baitfish, everything was scattered. Then the fog came in around 1am, and it looked promising. I saw decent fish running through the bait, they were a little too far off (again) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.gif The fog lifted, bright moon was back, and the fish stopped feeding

Ran into some internet "characters" I know from somewhere else. :HappyWave:Nice to meet ya's, thanks for the bunker you had left over, I'll use it today. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
05-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Jbay last night, fished from shore, nothing but bunker, coming through by the 100's, not many fish caught, but they did get some large bluefish. I met a newbie who just started pluggin a few days ago. Other than snagging bunker, it was pretty slow, so I decided to give the dude a few lessons, pointers. He did ok, even had a rubber jig out there for more than 10 mins without hanging up. Nice to meet ya, man, hope you got into fish this morning.

Jbay today, 9am - 4pm. Wanted to avoid the boat traffic where everyone was fishing the usual hyped up area. Set out at a different launch, met up with another kayaker about 1 1/2 miles from the launch (lucky for me! :D)

He knew that water, and we fished it together for awhile until he had to leave. He got 2 bass, 6 bluefish using chartreuse shads. I got one bass, one bluefish, on a pink fin-s.

There was either a grass shrimp hatch or there were small spearing/baitfish in the flats areas. There were also pods of bunker moving through periodically. One pod, in the thousands, was alike a wall of moving water. They moved too fast and I couldn't keep up. So we focused our attention on the sporadically working birds and the small bait.

After he left, I pulled onto a sedgebank to take a leak. I picked that one because it had current moving past it. Before pushing off again, I decided to work the water with an Ace baits medic super spook. From the 2nd cast on, I was into fish for the next 3 hours of the outgoing until slack tide.

Total for that pit stop, one bass around 26", 35-40 bluefish landed 7-13lbs, and at least twice that many strikes that didn't result in hookups. I had a blast fighting those angry fat bluefish, really enjoyed myself! :lookhappy:

nitestrikes
05-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Backside of Jones this morning, pretty windy, but bearable. 3 short bass on clams.

stripercrazy
05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Fished GSB on the incoming today. It was windy, got 3 short bass on a pencil, and quite a few big blues. :scared:

williehookem
05-10-2009, 11:50 PM
RM area out front today for an hour. One bass 22" on a bucktail with porkrind. I did see birds working bait, but they were too far off. :(

BassBuddah
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
A NS bay area early AM, 3 schoolies to 25", dannies and chicken scratch bombers.

jimbob
05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I go out last Sat after work and caught 16 Blues in Peconic Bay. Kept 5 for the smokehouse. Sunday Morning I tried Moriches Bay, but the wind and dirty water hampered my efforts I raised no fish.
This morning I fished another spot in Moriches and landed 6 Stripers on topwater plugs. I also dropped a large fish at my feet. I fished from 5:30 till 6:45.

DarkSkies
05-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Great pics, jimbob, especially the sunrise. :thumbsup: Never had smoked bluefish before, they say smoking them takes the oily taste away? Nice report.

jimbob
05-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I went out this afternoon to Moriches Bay the wind was east at 10mph mostly cloudy. I caught 2 small Bass on a creek chub popper and Zara spook. I had some other hits the tide was low and incomming, not the best tide for this spot.
Darkskies, Smoked bluefish is really good, I think that the fact that they are oily is good for smoking as it really holds the smoke flavor. thanks for the interest in the pictures I will try to keep them comming.

blitzhunter
05-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Those are great pics Jimbob! Looks like you have had a awesome run this week. I fished GSB but got :skunk: Just wasn't my night.

DarkSkies
05-13-2009, 07:17 PM
JimBob, you have a great eye for framing the picture, that's most of the battle in picture composition101. I can't wait to see what any videos you might take will look like. I already started taking videos, but I really suck at it so far. Have to keep my hand steady and learn not to insert my crazy comments when I'm havin a gooood time fishin. Silence is golden! http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif :fishing:

nitestrikes
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Back side of gsb last night, I don't know where the fish were, but they weren't there. Bucks, shads, bombers, swimmers. :skunk:

jimbob
05-15-2009, 10:35 PM
I went out to a Moriches back bay spot yesterday morning and this morning before work I caught 3 short Bass yesterday on topwater. I caught 5 Stripers this morning 2 of which were keepers of 28" and 30" all on topwater.

jimbob
05-15-2009, 10:37 PM
more picts.

williehookem
05-16-2009, 10:47 AM
jimbob you're like a press photographer that focuses on bass! Great pix, I really like that one of the bass in the water and the other one with the mouth open. Thanks for sharing. I fished the back side of jones this morning, last of the outgoing. Foggy, but the wind wasn't too bad for that location. One bass 24", bucktail.

BassBuddah
05-16-2009, 12:47 PM
NS this morning, incoming tide, 1 bass a little over keeper, released, and one more that was in pre-school, about 14"Schoolbus bomber. It seems like the water coooled down a few degrees.
Those are incredible pics, Jimbob, the one with the bass in the front and sunrise in the back looks suitable for framing. Keep em comin.:thumbsup:

Brasilva
05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Nice reports, DarkSkies
fish today in Floyd Bennett Field start at 6:40 am
all day, one bass 27 in, 4 blues,
I did get the bass with one of my lures, happpyyyyy,
good luck all

jimbob
05-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Thankyou for the comments on the pictures. I have more.
I went out to Moriches today at dawn I caught 4 Stripers one 34" that took a Zara Spook. At 8 A.M. I went to a spot on the ocean and threw pencils for an hour I raised one fish but no takers.

stripercrazy
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Hit the slack and the first 30 minutes of outgoing at a Long Beach spot, one bass 26", bucktail and porkrind, and 2 bluefish, around 5 pounds each. Beautiful weather today. jimbob nice looking bass across the cooler. Those are some amazing pictures you are putting up, thanks for posting. brasilva, I heard it was slow fishing there Saturday, nice report and welcome to the site.:HappyWave:

stripercrazy
05-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Another beautiful sunrise in Long Beach. 2 short bass to 24", Spro bucktail with white rind trailer. It was such a beautiful day I wanted to call in sick and play hooky, but I couldn't. :D

BassBuddah
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
GSB, a runt bass on a chartreuse shad, then I switched to bucktail when the bluefish started, 3 bluefish. We are headed for an incredible weekend weather wise, guys. Let's hope the fshing is good as well.:fishing:

BassBuddah
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
GSB, a runt bass on a chartreuse shad, then I switched to bucktail when the bluefish started, 3 bluefish. We are headed for an incredible weekend weather wise, guys. Let's hope the fishing is good as well.

nitestrikes
05-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Fished the back side of the jones area this morning, incoming, bucktail, one tiny bass on a bucktail, that's all she wrote. I saw birds way out front as I was leaving.

pescador29
05-22-2009, 02:48 PM
i fish in the front of jamaica bay last nite and got 4 bluefish we were using bunkers. no stripers. happy weekend to everybody here!:HappyWave:

jimbob
05-23-2009, 11:34 AM
After being sidelined for the week with swine flu I finally got out on the beach at Moriches. I got there just before light, Incomming tide and the water was washing over the rocks at the jetty but there were no fish in that wash. so I went to a back bay area that sometimes holds fish on the flood tide I managed one 25" Bass and one hit after sunrise on a Creek Chub popper. I ran into a Bluefish blitz but it was a small area and there were too many fishermen already there so I diddnt fish it. saw a couple of Piping Plovers.

BassBuddah
05-24-2009, 05:54 PM
After being sidelined for the week with swine flu I finally got out on the beach at Moriches.

jimbob you really didn't have the swine flu, is this a joke? :eek: If you did I'm sorry to hear that, how bad was it? Did you take a lot of antibiotics? Glad to hear you are better. Love those incredible pics. Lots of good things happening at Moriches latly. I went to a NS location this morning, got 3 schoolies on a yellow schoolbus bomber at dawn. Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone here!

jimbob
05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't know if it was swine flu but it was some kind of flu, just rest and liquids and time. last night I went to a north shore spot I caught one scoolie. This morning I went to the Moriches area I had two Bass hooked but I dropped them both I eventually caught a Bluefish. I spent about an hour fishing the ocean with pencil poppers but had no hits. I still have not got a Bass on pencils yet this year.

nitestrikes
05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Glad you are ok jimbob, I really enjoy your reports. You should write for On the water. I fished 3 times this weekend. Got a decent fish on Saturday morning in the front of Jones, the 34" bass took a black bomber at first light. Also got a small 22" on the bomber. Nothing the other 2 days. I can't wait for this weather to break so I can go again.

stripercrazy
05-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I fished this morning, Shinnecock area, 2 bass on a bucktail and pork rind, 26" and 32", released, and 3 angry bluefish. :scared: Good to see you back in action JB, swine flu is some nasty stuff.

blitzhunter
05-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Back side of Jones last night A friend of mine caught one at 29" I on the other hand got nada!

jimbob
05-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I have been working hard this past week and getting ready for my vacation.I got out last night and fished a north shore spot for two hours I caught 3 bass to 26" on a small black Danny plug just after dark. I am heading to Martha's Vineyard on Monday for a week of surfcasting for Stripers.

surfwalker
05-30-2009, 03:35 PM
jimbob-glaad you're feeling better,please take that camera with ya and keep the pics coming, I appreciate those. Say hi to Vineyard for me.

stripercrazy
05-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Glad you are feeling better too, jb. Have fun on the trip, catch em up. I fished jbay this morning, a little bit of the incoming. A few ferocious bluefish was all she wrote, bottle poppers.

BassBuddah
05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Took a ride to Shinnecock for the pre dawn shift. 3 bass to 27" on a bucktail, 4 big blues. Great day to be fishing, the morning was beautiful.