PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for May 1-15, 2009

surfwalker
05-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Out front-9pm-12am-plugs, shads- nothing doing ("Beautiful Night"). Slight SE wind brought the weed. Constant small breakers at your feet.

storminsteve
05-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Took the day off and had one of my best days ever yesterday in rb! No bass, but all the bluefish you could catch until your arms fell off. I was using metal ava jigs at first, and I caught about 20 to 8 lbs using that. Later it was a little warmer and I used the superstrike pencil poppers. I must have landed another 20 using them. I also lost a few poppers when other bluefish followed the hooked one, and I lost many bluefish that hit short or just nipped at it. What a day!. :lookhappy: :) :plastered: :fishing:

hookedonbass
05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
last night, blues in abundance.

LennyD
05-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Wednesday and Thursday hit RB after work , Blues Blues Blues and more blues, my arm got so sore after 2 hrs of blues i decided to rest and go home, every cast was a blue, up to 10lb.
Good fight!!!

DarkSkies
05-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

amboyangler
05-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Went to scout a new spot that had been right under my nose and saw some nice bass come up... one at 38 inches.... Had to leave quickly but will be investigating further tonight after work....

DarkSkies
05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
We have a winner!! :plastered:

Surfwalker, you won the plug in the April random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6342&thumb=1&d=1238966711 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6342&d=1238966711)

gjb1969
05-02-2009, 01:19 PM
had my first very productive day on the water went out early friday morn went to rb tossed some plugs no takers so i tossed some tins since i had heard blues were here no takers so out comes the bunker not two min i had a blue and it was on from there ened the day with 11 fish lost two stripers but its cool at least the blues i can get easy will be going back to rb to try for more:fishing::dribble: tite lines and good fishin to all

DarkSkies
05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Nice goin, G! :HappyWave:

Bluefish action is great, now that they're around they'll motivate the bass bite as more pieces of dead meat are laying on the bottom from all the bunker schools they blast through.

I tried to pass it on last night, took a kid fishing. 11year old protege. :D Usually I take him and brother and cousins bait fishin. This year I told him we're going to try pluggin.

I was excited as we drove to RB, and so was he, he's never caught a fish on anything other than bait. When we got fish before I would hook them and let the kids reel them in. This time he was going to do it all by himself. :thumbsup:

I didn't have waders for him, so I put my breathables on him. They were a little big :laugh: but we belted him up and got going. It had poured as we were driving down, and stopped as we suited up.

It was low tide, and I told him we had to walk out into the bay. He can swim, but I was still nervous. We walked out to where it was up to his waist. I set him up with a 6 1/2' rod and a Zara saltwater spook, just the right combo for someone his size.

It took him awhile to learn the mechanics of casting the spinning reel, letting the line go at just the right time. We practiced that for awhile. He got a little better, and was casting, but a little skewed. I taught him how to end up with the rod directly in front of you at the end of the cast, sort of like bowling. He practiced under my supervision, and started getting better.

In the end, he was casting 30-40feet with each cast. Not far enough to where the fish were, but I tthink still a pretty good job for a kid of 11. :clapping:

I spent a total of 5 minutes trying to catch him a fish with my rod, I so badly wanted to see him hook up. The fish were further out, and there were bass there. I didn't want to leave, but he got cold through the breathable waders and we had to stop. This was something I should have considered beforehand.

In all, we had a great time even though we caught no fish. The fog over the water was eerie. It set up like 20 feet above us and formed a fog ceiling, pretty cool.

The kid's got great eyes too. At one point he said: Rich, what are these things in the water moving around? Turns out we were in the middle of a worm hatch.

I don't know how long it will last , but guys I would bring long teasers or pink zooms or fin-s with me for the next few nights.

Smoke on the water!

gjb1969
05-02-2009, 01:48 PM
cool got one more hook :HappyWave:

amboyangler
05-02-2009, 02:54 PM
G, sounds like a lot of fun man..... I'm still dying to get into them blues... haven't had a chance to really do my thing for the past couple of days... like I said last night I stopped by a spot and they were getting some cows... >on worms lol.... I plan on going out there tonight with some bunker and feeding those hungry bass and blues.... Rich, sounds like a great night out.... make sure you use that stuff I gave ya.. let me know if it works..... glad to know youre all right

storminsteve
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I tried to pass it on last night, took a kid fishing. 11year old protege. :D Usually I take him and brother and cousins bait fishin. This year I told him we're going to try pluggin.

I was excited as we drove to RB, and so was he, he's never caught a fish on anything other than bait. When we got fish before I would hook them and let the kids reel them in. This time he was going to do it all by himself. :thumbsup:

It took him awhile to learn the mechanics of casting the spinning reel, letting the line go at just the right time. We practiced that for awhile. He got a little better, and was casting, but a little skewed. I taught him how to end up with the rod directly in front of you at the end of the cast, sort of like bowling. He practiced under my supervision, and started getting better.

In the end, he was casting 30-40feet with each cast. Not far enough to where the fish were, but I tthink still a pretty good job for a kid of 11. :clapping:

In all, we had a great time even though we caught no fish. The fog over the water was eerie. It set up like 20 feet above us and formed a fog ceiling, pretty cool.

The kid's got great eyes too. At one point he said: Rich, what are these things in the water moving around? Turns out we were in the middle of a worm hatch.

Smoke on the water!

It doesn't get any better than that Dark, just wait till he outfishes you! Great report and pics. :clapping:

amboyangler
05-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Went and investigated that new spot I was talking about..One of my buds caught his first keeper tonight..... thats a moment that changes a mans life forever.... We went out last night, out back, incoming tide... once again we were able to get into a school of bunker that were getting slaughtered by the blues.... I was able to somehow avoid those suckers and land this guy right here..... Had other quick bites but nothing after this one.... 36 Inches, 18 LBS... oh yeah that gauze on my elbow is there because I took a treble right to it.... luckily didnt penetrate but left a very deep slash across... damn that hurts

LennyD
05-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Went and investigated that new spot I was talking about..One of my buds caught his first keeper tonight..... thats a moment that changes a mans life forever.... We went out last night, out back, incoming tide... once again we were able to get into a school of bunker that were getting slaughtered by the blues.... I was able to somehow avoid those suckers and land this guy right here..... Had other quick bites but nothing after this one.... 36 Inches, 18 LBS... oh yeah that gauze on my elbow is there because I took a treble right to it.... luckily didnt penetrate but left a very deep slash across... damn that hurts

Amboyangler, you are gooood!!!
Nice fish!!!

buckethead
05-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Nice fish amboy!:thumbsup: I went out back and caught a few blues and one short.

amboyangler
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Good? No. Patient and at the right place and right time? Definitely. Thanks for the kind words though guys. :thumbsup:

gjb1969
05-03-2009, 11:21 AM
nice fish aa:HappyWave:

surfwalker
05-03-2009, 11:33 AM
First let me say thanks to Rich and stripersandanglers for the plug, I know it will be put to good use. Again, thank you.
aa- your on a roll, keep it up, the pics are great.
My report- plugged this morning(3am-8:30am), out front, few hits. Saw some big Blues on clam but no Stripers. Many BIG skates. Was informed that the Bass came in after I walked off(must be me), "Nice Day".

Happy Trails

DarkSkies
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Went and investigated that new spot I was talking about..One of my buds caught his first keeper tonight..... thats a moment that changes a mans life forever....

didnt penetrate but left a very deep slash across... damn that hurts

Good? No. Patient and at the right place and right time? Definitely. Thanks for the kind words though guys. :thumbsup:

:clapping: :thumbsup: WTG, man!!!

Getting the first keeper is a monumental moment in the life of any fisherman, it does change you, absolutely right. Sometime yer a little too modest, man, you put in a lot of time NOT catching fish, but learning all the same.

36 hours for the one fish caught to win that contest last year, many nights fishin in places where it just ain't happening at that moment, but you're hittin it hard anyway.

Waiting, waitin, waitin, you def got it covered when it comes to bein patient, great catch, great report.

Bet that treble gash hurts even more today, don't it? ;)

War wounds! :viking::headbang::blackeye: :thumbsup:

amboyangler
05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys... yea Rich that gash hurts like a female dog right now... Still havent slept.. awake.. over at my uncles house playing a boxing game on the PS3.... Been awake since 8 AM yesterday morning.... this Insomnia is getting the best of me... :don't know why:

DarkSkies
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
AA, Ibuprofen, load up on it, 2 at a time, take it every 4 hours.You might want to take it every 2 hours to take the edge off, and then cut down the interval as you feel better. You want to keep it in you bloodstream for it to do any good.

With the history I have, I try to stay away from pain medication. I swear by ibuprofen, it takes the edge off without making you feel :plastered::bong2:

vpass
05-03-2009, 02:45 PM
My first trip of the year. Fished the hook this AM. Caught 4 blues. 3 of them about 4 to 5 pounds and 1 about 10 pounds, all on Poppers. Many many misses. begining of the incoming. I actually loved being in the rain.:)

amboyangler
05-03-2009, 03:03 PM
My first trip of the year. Fished the hook this AM. Caught 4 blues. 3 of them about 4 to 5 pounds and 1 about 10 pounds, all on Poppers. Many many misses. begining of the incoming. I actually loved being in the rain.:)

You chose your first trip of the year very wisely.... the water is boiling with all types of fish.... Still havent caught a blue myself this season yet... I was actually hoping that it was a blue last night but then when I saw that beaut I was glad it wasn't..... :naughty:

vpass
05-03-2009, 04:10 PM
You chose your first trip of the year very wisely.... the water is boiling with all types of fish.... Still havent caught a blue myself this season yet... I was actually hoping that it was a blue last night but then when I saw that beaut I was glad it wasn't..... :naughty:

I wish I could have trade places with you. That a sweet fish you caught last night. Can't wait to get mine. Blues are every where now. I'm thinking of heading out again and plug into darkness. I get too addicted fast. Planning flyfish tomorrow am before work.:kooky:

LennyD
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Went down to Rb this afternoon for a quick trip, lotta blues again!!!
Used poppers.

Monty
05-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Fished Sandy Hook from 1:30 to 7:30 AM.
Lost a couple fish between 3:30 and 4:30 and then found blues chasing spearing (small bait) and had some fun with them on plugs, teasers and metal. Had a nice double.
Was nice to get a bend in the rod for the first time this year.

cowherder
05-03-2009, 06:48 PM
amboy and monty great reports! I got blues each time I have been out lately. Today I was fishing bunker chunks in the back of raritan bay. I'm glad I had wire leaders, I got 10 bluefish. They put up a great fight, I still wish I could have gotten one bass. Nice catches guys!:thumbsup:

GeoffT
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Last night 10-3:30 am in the back NoMoCo, nothing but blues on topwater. :boring:

At least we were alone and didn't lose a single lure. :thumbsup:

SharkHart
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
my bubble burst on the nice back bay bite, only managed on slot bass over 5 hours. Funny no blues back there too, even found a shool of bunker swimming along with no blues tearing away.

amboyangler
05-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what exactly is a slot bass?

gjb1969
05-03-2009, 10:08 PM
well just got back in it was slow up on the big river up north got some very big skates and not one bass at all was puting things up to go home when a small but very upset blue hit fresh fish is good:plastered::plastered::fishing::HappyWave:

SharkHart
05-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what exactly is a slot bass?

the old regulations called for keeping a bass between 24-28" i still say it when i see one in that range, and i think i always will say it

Monty
05-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks, I was also wondering the "slot bass" length. Were you using plugs or bait?

the old regulations called for keeping a bass between 24-28" i still say it when i see one in that range, and i think i always will say it

DarkSkies
05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Hit the RB last night with paumanok. I told him fishing was worth the trip, and he broke all speed records to get down here (In fact he beat me to the first spot). :D Guys, with the exception of 2 guys from Turkey who caught a lot of bluefish on bunker, had all left a popular spot as we tried to make it an "artificial only" night targeting bass and weakfish.

The rain kept a lot of people home. We hit each spot hard, and then the next one, with flies and topwater, swimmers, mid water plugs, jigs, bucktails, and shads. I even got him to use his spinning rod when we hit an inlet and found small amounts of bunker there, but no fish underneath as we worked the bottom.

So I guess fly guys CAN use spinning gear. ;) He knows I'm only BB, fishing with this guy was an amazing experience. :thumbsup: I thought I could get involved fly fishing just picking up a rod, but he taught me the thinking and strategy part are just as important.

He worked everything he had, and I was optimistic we could entice one small bass, but it was not to be.

We ended fishing current, the 5th place on our list. Water was colder, maybe high 40s, but we figured the fish might be sitting there. After trying everything for an hour, and fishing 8p-4am, we were almost ready to give up, but finally started to see some action.

The first weird thing happened was when I heard a splash behind me, and thought a bird fell in the water, or that paumanok was goofing with me. :kooky: But he wasn't, he was 200'away. Turns out it was probably a bunker being chased out of the water, and falling back to a hungry mouth. :scared:

Then I got tired of the hours of casting with no results. Decided to try a method taught to me by CharlieK, drifting the plug in the current, no movement. The first time I did this I got a strike. I felt guilty, like I wasnt really fishin, but that method produced strikes for the next 30 minutes.

We were getting the slightest taps, me from drifting the plug in the current, moving the rod tip 3" at a time slowly, and slowly retrieving the slack. He was sitting his sinking flies on the bottom and barely crawling them in.

We got into a rhythm for a while, at one time we were both hooked up at the exact same time as bluefish started to become more active with the moving current.

Couple hit, bunch lost, very light hitters, even the bigger blues. A few brought to the sand, biggest a little more than 8#. The colder water makes these fish very sluggish at night, that's why bait guys do so well on bait right now.

Also, FWIW, the reports I've been getting seem to say the flood tide is starting to produce more action.

Fun action while it lasted, but we couldn't stay and play it out. People disapprove of bluefish sometimes, but they saved our night. I for one was glad to get them. :fishing:

Good fishin with ya, paumanok, I learned a lot just watching you. :thumbsup::HappyWave:

SharkHart
05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
I am using pink zooms nearly exclusively this time of year. everything likes them, even fluke.

storminsteve
05-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Very healthy looking fat fish, amboy, 'grats. :clapping: I fished rb in the back yesterday in the rain, lots of blues. I used some old poppers and lost a few. Blues were all different sizes from 2 to 10 pounds, great fun!

wish4fish
05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
hit the bay this morning before work, a mess of fat blues on bunker, not even one bass where did all those damn bass go?:plastered:

vpass
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Fished the Hook from 5 to 7:30PM, Caught 9 Blues to 32 inches. all on Poppers. The fishes fought real hard. I left them bitting.

amboyangler
05-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Brought my rain gear out tonight and got the BIG :skunk:

yardvillejimmy
05-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Yesterday afternoon fished RB with a friend. Decent pick with bluefish to 8 pounds.:HappyWave:

wish4fish
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
dudes I am so sick of bluefish! me and a bud got about 20 last night in the rain, bunker chunks, in the back. bunker came by for a minute, but no bass. amboy dont give up dude, your last one was a fattie. next time!:fishing:

amboyangler
05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Dude I haven't caught a blue all year. I need that adrenaline rush.. you guys going out tonight? I get out of work around 9ish... Let me know if you decide to go out, I'll bring the money for any bait you bring... preferably fresh bunker.. let me know.. thanks

amboyangler
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Disregard my last post guys. I have to come into work earlier tomorrow for some training on new software we are going to start using soon. Good Luck!!!

storminsteve
05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Great morning at the hook before work! 2 bass 28 1/2" on clams, and 2 smaller ones. Fished to 7am, the bass are out front!:fishing:

clamchucker
05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
You are correct storminsteve. I was at Island Beach today, got 1 bass 30", and 8 small bass, all on fresh clams. It was a little rough, needed 8 oz to hold bottom, but the fish were there.

SharkHart
05-07-2009, 04:08 AM
fished between the rain drops in the backwaters of cnj and found some bass jacked up on the outgoing, only got about a 30 min window before some tsunami like wind ruined the fun :2flip: 9 or 10 bass of various sizes, the smallest was about 14" and the biggest was about 33", litte landing malfunction prevented me from filming her :o

DarkSkies
05-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Yesterday afternoon fished RB with a friend. Decent pick with bluefish to 8 pounds.:HappyWave:

Holy crap the OFFC is back at it!! :wow:
I thought you guys were selling the fishing gear on e-bay and were starting your own home improvement company, or somethin! :ROFLMAO: Good to see you're back out there, tell the rest of the crew I said hi. :HappyWave:

fished between the rain drops in the backwaters of cnj and found some bass jacked up on the outgoing, only got about a 30 min window before some tsunami like wind ruined the fun :2flip: 9 or 10 bass of various sizes, the smallest was about 14" and the biggest was about 33", litte landing malfunction prevented me from filming her :o

People see me become intensely focused if the bite is hot. I'm more that way when I have a newbie out tryin to put them into fish. They say "what's the rush" in getting the line back in the water, retying the plug, line, etc. I tell them you never know when that bite will stop. You could have em for 5 hours, or 5 minutes, that's fishin.

Sometimes that's all you get is that one window, at least you were able to take advantage of it, wtg. :thumbsup:

Tommy,
check your pm's, top right corner of the page. :HappyWave:

chas527
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
fished the hook yesterday afternoon. got 11 bass two were keepers 28 1/2 an a29inch. even caught a big black fish. great fishing.

storminsteve
05-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I figured the rain would kill things last night and stayed home. Nice catches, shark and chas :clapping:.

vpass
05-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Went to the SH in the back. I was flyfishing from 5:00pm to 6:00pm first skunk of the year. Got a call from the wife, my son had Hockey Game:burn: , and she could not take him.

SharkHart
05-08-2009, 04:48 AM
start my new job next week, but in my continuation of last days of freedom and fish to u drop, fished the back of OC again, bass were active but spread out this time, slightly picky , could hear bass popping 1/2 mile away. I had good fish out of range and i watched 3 guys in a boat semingly oblivious to bass blastin 50 yards from them. finshed with 6 bass to 30 inches all on plastics. id tell the story of losing the big one, but it would just sound like internet bull :cool:

ledhead36
05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Went out to SH for the first time this month. Caught one short on a clam.

surfwalker
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Plugged the dark out front today(3:30am-11am)- one Bass on a shad. Sunup- some Bass on salted clam.

voyager35
05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
moco was able to pull in one bass on a bomber.

skinner
05-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Went pier fishing today. Caught 3 blues.

gjb1969
05-09-2009, 07:23 PM
well it a late report but it happens went fishing up on the hudson just to kill a little time was useing old bunker it was just alittle before low tide down to the next to last chunk packing stuff to go home when the rod gets hit i realy did not want to take any fish home but i just had to nice 35 in fish got my first keeper now lets see if i can get on a roll with the bass the skunk with keeper bass is gone:clapping: tite lines and good fishin to all:fishing:

amboyangler
05-09-2009, 07:43 PM
well it a late report but it happens went fishing up on the hudson just to kill a little time was useing old bunker it was just alittle before low tide down to the next to last chunk packing stuff to go home when the rod gets hit i realy did not want to take any fish home but i just had to nice 35 in fish got my first keeper now lets see if i can get on a roll with the bass the skunk with keeper bass is gone:clapping: tite lines and good fishin to all:fishing:

I was wondering where that report was... Awesome catch G!!! The best is yet to come.... Hey Rich, I just got a missed call from you... cant pick up cause im at work but will give you a ring when I get a chance.. later

DarkSkies
05-09-2009, 10:04 PM
wtg G! :clapping: Gonna be a lot of heavy traffic as the spawn winds down, lock and load. :thumbsup:

captnemo
05-10-2009, 07:59 AM
We fished in the fog yesterday in Raritan reach. Bluefish were everywhere. Total 3 bass to 27", and dozens of bluefish to 14 lbs on bunker chunks. Good day, sore hands.

Monty
05-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Fished Sandy Hook bay side in the early AM. Honkin wind, lost a fish in the white water on a R-P rip runner, then when the sun came up a couple of blues on metal.

storminsteve
05-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I fished Sandy Hook before doing the Mother's Day thing today with the family. Not much to report, I did get a pretty large bluefish using a Krokodile spoon. Monty, at least you had a nice fish on, maybe it was a bass or a weakfish? I never caught a big weakfish, I hope they are still around. :drool:

killie
05-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm going with finchaser tomorrow night or tuesday night. first trip of the year. I never started this late before. can't wait. :)

Monty
05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
SS, I have also not caught a big weakfish. Lost a few fish this year so far that I would have atleast liked to have a look at. Gotta keep working on my fish fighting skills

I fished Sandy Hook before doing the Mother's Day thing today with the family. Not much to report, I did get a pretty large bluefish using a Krokodile spoon. Monty, at least you had a nice fish on, maybe it was a bass or a weakfish? I never caught a big weakfish, I hope they are still around. :drool:

wish4fish
05-11-2009, 11:19 AM
caught a bunch o blues last night on the incoming in rb, bunker chunks. as soon as the tide was outgoing, the bite died, maybe the moon, who knows.:plastered::don't know why:

clamchucker
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I fished the flood tide at Sandy Hook this morning. The NW winds made it a bit cold. I managed 2 short bass on clams, the hits were timed far apart. I did better when I switched to metal spoons, and caught 5 bluefish using that, up to 7lbs.

cowherder
05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I tried my hand at plugging this AM, figured it was time. I threw a windcheater and a megabait in a Raritan Bay spot, no bass one bluefish, lost at shore.

amboyangler
05-11-2009, 06:13 PM
First of all I would like to thank whoever it was that declined the plug package that was offered to you by DarkSkies. He ended up giving it to me since I sold all my plugs last year (stupid decision).... I appreciate the gesture and will make sure and put all this stuff to use soon... On the reports side, I have an interesting situation that has been occuring to me for the past few days but I also need some advice on it..... I do not want to flood the reports thread with a different topic but everything can be read on this post: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3884

Thanks.. any advice would be greatly appreciated

finchaser
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
7 fish tonight 30"to 34" only one was a short all released

zev
05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
good stuff finchaser

got the skunk by me earlier today. could never get'em during the day by me.

DarkSkies
05-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Finchaser knows how to rack the fish up. No boring details ;) :HappyWave: just the facts! wtg, man, did ya take killie with ya last night, or is it tonight you guys are goin fishin?

chas527
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
fished sh yesterdad and this morning. 6 shorts yesterdad and 5shorts and a big blackfish brock my heart to throw it back. these laws suck.

GeoffT
05-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry for the late report. Saturday midnight-3 AM in less than ideal conditions (dirty water, lots of grass, hard SE, no bait visible), I managed to pull from a hat three keeper bass to 14 lbs (14, 11, and 10). Also had a few other hits, probably bass. All caught on wood swimmers (pearl with pink stripes and parrot). No blues this time. NoMoCo in the back.

amboyangler
05-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Went out there from 10:00 PM - 7:00 AM and the bunker were thicker than ever... Livelined and was only able to get into countless 15 LBS Blues that swallowed whole bunker. They would not let me get to the bass. It got even worse at dawn... Looked like a washing machine out there... The Bunker were there the whole night and the whole morning, did not move out for a sec....

clamchucker
05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Island Beach from 4 to 7 this morning. I got one small keeper 28" on clams, and 2 shorts before sunrise. The bite seemed to be best in the beginning of the incoming tide. Quite a few skates and crabs around. AmboyAngler did you follow the advice I gave you last night about different tactics?

amboyangler
05-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Island Beach from 4 to 7 this morning. I got one small keeper 28" on clams, and 2 shorts before sunrise. The bite seemed to be best in the beginning of the incoming tide. Quite a few skates and crabs around. AmboyAngler did you follow the advice I gave you last night about different tactics?

yes I did but the blues were too thick in there... wouldnt let the live lined bunker stay put for a bass to see it

finchaser
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
5 tonight 26" to 30" all on lead head and tail
3 shorts and 2 keepers all released

yardvillejimmy
05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Fished SH yesterday afternoon with three friends. Not even a bump for me. :skunk: Only fish caught was an 18 inch fluke. Tried RB in the evening but an unexpected wind storm sent us home.

gjb1969
05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
way in the back of rb it was blue city lots of big bunker all over nice out of the wind had a good night with blues i made lots of mistakes with bass lost quite a few i can say i messed up but its cool took home one nice bass i will be back out later today to try one more time so tite lines and good fishin to all yo amboy get some rest u need it u fished hard:fishing::plastered:

amboyangler
05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Out back last night with a couple of guys. We get there at high tide and start snagging bunker right away to make sure we have plenty of bait. A couple of us try different ways of livelining, no bass, One fish gets swallowed by a gator. G casts out a small chunk past all the action and BAM.. first bass of the night.... shortly after I also chunk up and cast past the boiling water, Hook up with a nice one but had a mishap with G's line.... no problem dont sweat it....... rig back up, cast out, not 5 minutes till I get my first bass of the night @ 32 inches.... then at the far end, my bud put the plugs down and chunks up > nice, beautiful, fat 35 incher.. football shaped.... not too long after that, he gets another beaut...not too much smaller than the first..... In between all of this, G has about 7 hookups that ended with mishaps with the most memorable one being the one that made a 4 foot silhouette at the surface and came unbutonned right by his feet when it poked its bulldog head out of the water and decided it wasnt his time to go...... I also missed a couple of hookups but then I am able to get into my second keeper of the night @ 30 inches..... At that point I caught my limit for the night so I stop fishing, semi satisfied even though the fish were smaller than what I have been accustomed to catching..... plus I was on 2 hours of sleep from the last outing the day before...... At dawn, the blues start terrorizing the water making it boil but G manages to pull in another bass @ 26 inches... right back in the water... plenty of blues were brought up as well and all in all it was a very fun and memorable night with the fellas.... wish evey night was like that.... Great night guys, hopefully next time will be even better!!! :plastered:

DarkSkies
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
^ Some guys fish an hour, some fish a tide, you guys go out and don't quit till ya drop.

AA, ya looked like a zombie last night, but a happy zombie. :laugh: Gotta send you over to voodoo beach to recharge the batteries.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3797

G, nice fish, you'll get it next time. I think most of the fish were in the 28-35" class except that large one that came unbuttoned where you were. She's waitin on ya, for next time. :thumbsup:

Some pics:

Looks like a lot of the members here are gettin out and putting their time in, wtg, guys! :clapping:

amboyangler
05-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Just got a call at work from my uncle and he just witnessed a 46 inch bass get brought in... Was not going out tonight and was gonna get some rest but who can resist from fishing after news like that? :drool: :fishing:

finchaser
05-14-2009, 08:36 AM
2 fish last night,Killie arrived finally and proved to all he hasn't lost his touch as he shut it down:D

fish then reappeared and rolled in rainfish for over an hour and wouldn't touch a thing all in all a fun evening

DarkSkies
05-14-2009, 09:25 AM
^ Ya know, we all bust on killie. been doin it so long it's like a national tradition. He ain't that bad, tho, he's got a good heart, is generous, and got involved in the effumall club as a goof. Then, when it started to take off, he continued to sell shirts at an amazing price when he could have charged a lot more. Plus, he's a religious guy and goes to church every week, gets involved with takin people fishin, not too bad for looking back on life and seein what you've accomplished. :thumbsup:

Still fun to bust on him for shuttin the bite down, tho. :laugh: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

The rainfish thing is tough, I've been out front where we watched fish roll through them with their mouths open for an hour at a time, wouldn't touch anything we had, teasers included. That's fishin.:fishing:

amboyangler
05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Outback late last night into this morning.. Fresh Snagged Bunker.. Outgoing tide... landed 3 keeper bass: 32, 35, and 30 Inches and a ton of blues... My budddys were able to hook up as well.... I'm running on 1 1/2 hours of sleep in the past 2 days... time to get some :boring:.. Good Night

fishinmission78
05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Fished north LBI early morning, 3 bass, 2 small, one 32", clams, as the tide came in.

bababooey
05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
We were out in the rb Sandy Hook area last night. 2 bass to 31" on bunker, and all the big bluefish you could want, many hooks donated. Fishing in about 15-20' of water. We also snagged a needlefish while plugging. Lots of different kind of bait around, the readings were solid.

plugcrazy
05-14-2009, 12:35 PM
cisp this morning 4 to 6, one short bass, about 15 alligator bluefish, all on metal, a27 and krokodile. Small bait beyond the surf line, I couldn't figure out what it was.

c4charlie
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
I am new to the site and will post an introduction but I wanted to put up this fishing report.

Covered a ton of ground two nights ago fishing from 8-5am. Fished a bunch of locations mainly RB. I tried plugging for most of the night but then got out my snag hook when I found a small bunker school.http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/smile.gif I was trying to force them to eat a plug when all they wanted was sushi. Good thing I always carry plugging and at least one bait rod. Once I started chunking, things heated up.

Managed some blues and a couple healthy bass both 36". I need to get a boga so I can start getting some weights. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Had some other big hits but hook didn't set a few times. I was trying to target bigger fish by using some big heads, even entire bunker but it didn't happen. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/frown.gif I had a blue inhale an entire bunker. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/cwm31.gif

Covered a ton of ground last night fishing from 8-5am. Fished a bunch of places which were all East of the Parkway. North wind was tough in the RB. I tried plugging for most of the night but then got out my snag hook when I found a small bunker school.http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/smile.gif I was trying to force them to eat a plug when all they wanted was sushi. Good thing I always carry plugging and at least one bait rod. Once I started chunking, things heated up.

Managed some blues and a couple healthy bass both 36". I need to get a boga so I can start getting some weights. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Had some other big hits but hook didn't set a few times. I was trying to target bigger fish by using some big heads, even entire bunker but it didn't happen. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/frown.gif I had a blue inhale an entire bunker. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/cwm31.gif

Don't ask me where I was because I don't even remember. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/wink.gif Definitely my longest night of the year. Caught both bass on bunker chunks.

I have started to learn that when you find fish and are catching, just enjoy it because I have come back the next day and it has been the dead sea. I plan on making the most of my good nights this year even if I pay for it the next day!http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/cwm33.gif

Tight Lines. I am going to be somewhere in the back tonight.:fishing:

chas527
05-14-2009, 01:36 PM
fished s.h. this morning. two bass one was a keeper. rainy and cold.

fishinmission78
05-14-2009, 01:39 PM
fished sh yesterdad and this morning. 6 shorts yesterdad and 5shorts and a big blackfish brock my heart to throw it back. these laws suck.

chas, some blackfish near the inlets further south, are you getting yours around high tide? I agree sucks to have to put a big one back, but they take a long time to get big. I guess the scientists on those committees know what they're doing, or do they?:huh:

gjb1969
05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
hey c4 how it going i hope u hit them hard and have a good time good luck tite lines and good fishin:fishing:

amboyangler
05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Here are some pics from last nights outing:

Outback late last night into this morning.. Fresh Snagged Bunker.. Outgoing tide... landed 3 keeper bass: 32, 35, and 30 Inches and a ton of blues... My budddys were able to hook up as well.... I'm running on 1 1/2 hours of sleep in the past 2 days... time to get some .. Good Night

finchaser
05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
^ Ya know, we all bust on killie. been doin it so long it's like a national tradition. He ain't that bad, tho, he's got a good heart, is generous, and got involved in the effumall club as a goof. Then, when it started to take off, he continued to sell shirts at an amazing price when he could have charged a lot more. Plus, he's a religious guy and goes to church every week, gets involved with takin people fishin, not too bad for looking back on life and seein what you've accomplished. :thumbsup:

Still fun to bust on him for shuttin the bite down, tho. :laugh: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

The rainfish thing is tough, I've been out front where we watched fish roll through them with their mouths open for an hour at a time, wouldn't touch anything we had, teasers included. That's fishin.:fishing:

Killie is one of my best friends and has a :heart: of gold there should be more people like him but he still kills:fishing:. Just a warning he'll be back Saturday night

vpass
05-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Here are some pics from last nights outing:

Nicely done amboyangler. I didn't know they had bass on the Moon.;) I wish I could get out soon.:drool: I hate work.:(

LennyD
05-14-2009, 08:54 PM
WTG AA!
You guys really put some serious time to fishing, good catch!

Monty
05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Great catch AA, you put in the time and you are a consistant catcher.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

c4charlie
05-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Just got back. A bit quieter than expected but still managed a great fight with a 16 pound bass that I landed. Also got some blues, one really big one. Was better when the wind was blowing then it dies down and killed a lot of the action.

Bass caught on bunker, same spot East of the Parkway. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/wink.gif I missed hardly any the other night and tonight I missed a ton initially when the action was intense. Fish were biting much softer than a couple nights ago.

chas527
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
chas, some blackfish near the inlets further south, are you getting yours around high tide? I agree sucks to have to put a big one back, but they take a long time to get big. I guess the scientists on those committees know what they're doing, or do they?:huh:

right from the beach . high tide

surfwalker
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Out front- plugs/shads-4:30am-10am, variable breeze-S, SE, ESE-nothing for me(Nice Day).
c4c-nice going.

wish4fish
05-16-2009, 11:30 AM
a few fish last night from way in the back rb, slow, one at 12, one at 4, only one keeper 28", white tsunamishads, c4c and amboy nice goin with the fish.