PDA

View Full Version : fish cheeks

lostatsea
05-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I was told that you can eat the cheeks of the fish. Does it matter what kind of fish or is it good on all of them? I would think that there would not be much meat on them. Is it even worth the time?

buckethead
05-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I have had the cheeks of stripers which are delicious. I think I'll try blues this year.

Rip-Plugger
05-03-2009, 10:45 AM
I was told that you can eat the cheeks of the fish. Does it matter what kind of fish or is it good on all of them? I would think that there would not be much meat on them. Is it even worth the time?

in my youth bluefish were all that was around and I remember an older guy that would come collect the chopper racks to cut out the cheeks to make clam/fish chowder.
after a while I asked him what he was doing with the racks.he told me what he made from them.
he then brought me 2 quarts of his creation and BAAAM!,I was totally over the edge over his chowder.
I began to buy it from him till he could not do it anymore.
his name was sam,,,ironically,he did nt fish at all and he hated fishing,he was a clammer!

crazy huh??

R-P

DarkSkies
05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
That chowder sounds great Rp, you were lucky to have found a guy like that.

Lostatsea, I started cutting out the cheeks last year after an old salt told me to try them. Whne you see dead fish on the beach, what do the birds go for first? Stomach, cheeks, and eyes. I've eaten the cheeks, would love to see someone pop an eye or two into their mouth and chew down on it. Anyone with the stones to do that and post a video on here, I got a brand new plug waiting to be shipped out to ya!

Anyone here up to the challenge? :D

vpass
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I was curious how to cut out the cheeks of fish. I went to youtube, and found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7NN4SSI-g

Wentfishn47
05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I know of an older guy that will cut the cheeks out of a bluefish and grind the rest for shark'n chum.

I have had the cheeks of a bluefish before at a BBQ in a something like a gumbo and it was very tasty!!!

jimbob
05-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I have been eating the cheeks from Stripers and Bluefish for many years. They are delicious. The cheeks of Bluefish are not as oily as the rest of the fish. you should definitly try it. I Fry them in a little butter, just till they turn white.

lostatsea
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Vpass that video is great. Next time I bring home my catch, I'll be eating the cheeks.

williehookem
02-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I have been eating the cheeks from Stripers and Bluefish for many years. They are delicious. The cheeks of Bluefish are not as oily as the rest of the fish. you should definitly try it. I Fry them in a little butter, just till they turn white.

Gonna have to try that this year, thanks.