PDA

View Full Version : lets talk about this.

Rip-Plugger
05-06-2009, 06:35 PM
suppose you are plugging with your fave plug stick,lets say your reel is loaded with 15-20 pound line.
now,you hook a lifetime fish but it is very heavy and your rig is maxxed out,he takes some line and you stop it.
you gain some line but it's hard to keep it.
lets say this fish is a 60 incher and weights about 70 pounds+.
If that fish died on your line could you drag it to shore from a current,not heavy current but,a moderate one.
would your line and rod be able to pull it in even dead??

I'll be back later tonight.

R-P

storminsteve
05-06-2009, 06:47 PM
In current? :eek: 15-20lb braid you might have a slim chance, 15-20lb mono even a hail Mary wouldn't help you. My .02.:D

nitestrikes
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
If I thought I had a fish that big, I would get a friend to hold the pole and swim out and drag it in. I would probably drown trying, but hey it's the fish of a lifetime right? We all have to die somehow. I would rather die fishing than in a hospital bed. :kooky:

jimbob
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't see why not. If the fish is dead it is not fighting to get away from you. If you walk the fish down the beach in the direction of the current you should be able to use a wave to land the fish on the beach. I have never had a live fish swim itself onto a beach.

BassBuddah
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
If I thought I had a fish that big, I would get a friend to hold the pole and swim out and drag it in. I would probably drown trying, but hey it's the fish of a lifetime right? We all have to die somehow. I would rather die fishing than in a hospital bed. :kooky:

:rolleyes:Sure you can say that on the internet. But, in real life, would you have the stones to swim out there? Assume it was an inlet on the outgoing, would you swim out to a spot where you could bring her in, maybe you would be pulled out 1/4 mile to sea? OK. sure, I'll buy that. ;)

nitestrikes
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
^^ Maybe, maybe not, depends on how lucky I felt that day. ;)

7l2y8HDU7-U

dogfish
05-06-2009, 07:48 PM
do ya feel lucky punk!!:laugh: :clapping:

Give me some braid and I would try like hell to get her in.:drool: I sense there is a story behind this. Rip plugger, did this happen to you, I think you're holding out on us. Details please.:HappyWave:

Monty
05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I will say yes, you could get it in. With the current pulling it in a direction it should be able to be angled to shore kinda like jimbob said.
Not sure what the relative weight of the 60 lb fish is in the water, but I am thinking you could slowly pull that big girl in with 20 lb test. That said, I use 30 lb braid and should this scenerio happen to me I am prepared:wow:.

Rip-Plugger
05-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I was right assuming there would be some interesting answers.
and no,it did not happen to me.
i am just wondering how if a 72 pound dead if could be pulled in with 20 pound line be it braid or whatever.

I don't know what the weight of a fish of that weight would be in the water but I kinda found the idea interesting thats all.

perhaps thats just part of my scientific mind,out there,waay out there,borderline knutt and maybe even eccentric just a touch.
Howard Hughes type ****.

I'll have more odd discussions to ask about.my mind is always cranking.

R-P

stormchaser
02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't know what the weight of a fish of that weight would be in the water but I kinda found the idea interesting thats all.

perhaps thats just part of my scientific mind,out there,waay out there,borderline knutt and maybe even eccentric just a touch.
Howard Hughes type ****.

I'll have more odd discussions to ask about.my mind is always cranking.
R-P

I will be devil's advocate and ask you what would YOU do? If the fish was 72 pounds and surf wasn't rough or under 60 degrees, I would swim out for something that big.

finchaser
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't see why not. If the fish is dead it is not fighting to get away from you. If you walk the fish down the beach in the direction of the current you should be able to use a wave to land the fish on the beach. I have never had a live fish swim itself onto a beach.

What he said dead or alive should be no problem. Dead would probably be easier as its not trying to swim back out. same principal as body surfing

Frankiesurf
02-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I pulled in a huge inner tube while Herring fishing a few weeks ago. This was in an inlet with a sand bottom and a 45 degree ledge. I was using a 710 greenie with a 7'6" honey Lami with 15 pound test mono. This thing took about 20 minutes to drag in. Filled with water I would say it was about 50 - 60 pounds. So yes, it can be done.

I wish I had a camera with me since it was the biggest thing I have ever caught.

basshunter
03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I would rather die fishing than in a hospital bed. :kooky:

Quote of the year!:thumbsup:

I pulled in a huge inner tube while Herring fishing a few weeks ago. This thing took about 20 minutes to drag in. Filled with water I would say it was about 50 - 60 pounds. So yes, it can be done.
I wish I had a camera with me since it was the biggest thing I have ever caught.

catch of the year!;)

Frankiesurf
03-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks Basshunter, I hope you didn't just jinx me for the year.

gjb1969
03-14-2010, 09:58 PM
i say yes take your time and it can be done:)

Rip-Plugger
10-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I will be devil's advocate and ask you what would YOU do? If the fish was 72 pounds and surf wasn't rough or under 60 degrees, I would swim out for something that big.

well,I would go into the water but,I would not swim for it.
I did dance with a bluefish that I landed while still in te water,it got the tail hook of a Pirelli popper[local old timer I know] hooked in my zipper and we danced the salty tango,,,,the best thing was,it got off and shot away.

R-P

DarkSkies
10-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I did dance with a bluefish that I landed while still in te water,it got the tail hook of a Pirelli popper[local old timer I know] hooked in my zipper and we danced the salty tango,,,,
R-P

Back in the day when I was a drinking and partying animal, I looked for loose women for that to happen with, never thought of dancing a salty tango with a bluefish in those days....funny how our priorities change...:fishing: that was a close call, Roddy! :scared:

BassBuddah
10-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Think of the fishermen who died up at the cape a few weeks ago, folks. A record would be impressive, but no fish is worth your life or taking you away from your family for good. Learn from the mistakes of others.