PDA

View Full Version : The life of a nomad, tips for on the road fishin

DarkSkies
05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Today, I'm sitting there at this new launchin spot I found, end of the woods.

I see I have company, a homeless dude who enterprisingly takes bags of garbage from neighbors' houses, brings them into his crib in the woods, and picks through them for what he wants, throws the rest away in the woods.

When I first found that spot, I wondered how all those shoes and clothes got to be along the shore, now I know. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

As I'm thinking how shabby this dude looks, I take a look at myself in the rear view mirror :eek:

No shave for 2 days, bunker blood on my shirt, I looked like I just got locked up for killing my family, or accused of keeping bodies in he basement, Jeffy Dahmer style.

So change your clothes, dude, and move on! :D

Thought I would put up some of this stream on consciousness stuff for the nomads out there.

DarkSkies
05-08-2009, 05:55 PM
So what do some of you guys do when on the road for more than a day?

- Find a grocery store to buy stuff if you will be out for 2 days or more. I got it down to a science, I can buy 2 days worth of semi-healthy food for $20 or less. Beats the hot dogs at the 7-11.;)

- Find decent places to go to the bathroom. I can always use the woods, but it's nice to clean the stink from under your arms once in a while with some soap.

VSdreams
05-09-2009, 06:14 PM
This thread got me thinking. I have one friend who goes out 2 days at a time. Like Dark says he always knows where the bathrooms are and brings plenty in his cooler for food. This is not my style. After a day I need a shower and a bed. How many of you go out fishing for 2 or more days without going hom?

paumanok
05-10-2009, 01:43 AM
I've got a week long trip coming up; ponds, breachways and outer beaches in Rhode Island. Will be staying in a cozy cottage in Charlestown.

Years back, I made frequent 3 to 5 day fishing excursions. Had an E-150 Ford Econoline with just two seats up front. In the back were my carpentry tools, camping gear (bed roll, stove, couple of gallons of fresh water), and all my fishing gear. Throughout the year.

Used whatever pull off was available if I needed to sleep. Easy enough to find a truck stop if I needed food, to wash up, to use the toilet. Thought nothing of running up at a moment's notice to fish the Niagara--salmon, steelhead. Or driving (usually non-stop) down to Okeechobee and out along the Keys.

More locally, it wasn't unusual for me to get a sudden notion to leave straight from work Friday afternoon and drive up along the Delaware River. I'd put in a canoe as far up as Hancock or Deposit and over several days fish down sometimes as far as Port Jervis. I ate what I caught: shad, trout, perch, rock bass. . . Sometimes bartered my catch with home owners on the river, either for permission to camp overnight, or for a few tomatoes and onions. A couple of hours before sun up, I'd drive straight back to work.

I think back to those days and I wonder that I was so nonchalant about the whole thing. Had no money to speak of. Damn, how many times did I putter back across the Verrazano or the Tappan Zee with my gas gauge on F... for fumes!

But they were happy times.

Fishing has always been, for me, synonymous with happy times.

Only, these days, I need the comfort of a cozy cottage. At least, most of the time.

paumanok
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
DarkSkies--in this urban setting we fish in, most of our needs can be easily met at pretty much any time of the day or night: all-night diners, all-night convenience stores, all-night gas stations.

Two essentials that come to my mind for such "nomad fishing" --

A change of clothes. Fishing in wet clothes early in the season and in the Fall, while wading in water that's hardly 50 degrees, is not only uncomfortable, it's dangerous. Hypothermia is not something to be triffled with. Especially, if you're out fishing alone.

Extra gear. I always have a second fly rod rigged and ready in the car. One night I was starting to cast after a 3/4 mile walk along the beach; I discovered the tip of my fly rod was broken. I didn't particularly enjoy the 3/4mile walk back to the car to change rods (the 3/4 mile walk back out wasn't much of a thrill either), but I didn't have to stop fishing for the night. I also keep a one-piece 7' medium-heavy spinning rod rigged up, in case the wind gets too fierce to fly fish, or if I come across a must fish spot where there's simply no room to cast a fly.

A bottle of mouth-wash in the car door might not be a bad idea. This way you don't melt the face off the convenience store clerk when you're paying for your cofffee at 3 am.

williehookem
05-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Extra gear. I always have a second fly rod rigged and ready in the car. One night I was starting to cast after a 3/4 mile walk along the beach; I discovered the tip of my fly rod was broken. I didn't particularly enjoy the 3/4mile walk back to the car to change rods (the 3/4 mile walk back out wasn't much of a thrill either), but I didn't have to stop fishing for the night. I also keep a one-piece 7' medium-heavy spinning rod rigged up, in case the wind gets too fierce to fly fish, or if I come across a must fish spot where there's simply no room to cast a fly.

A bottle of mouth-wash in the car door might not be a bad idea. This way you don't melt the face off the convenience store clerk when you're paying for your cofffee at 3 am.

Extra gear:thumbsup:
Mouthwash...priceless:ROFLMAO:

gjb1969
05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
that was once me well no more only once in a while i will go out like that tite lines and good fishin to all:fishing:

RJC
05-11-2009, 08:45 PM
will,

You nomadic rascal. Mully and I are going to pick your brain and publish a book on your travels.

There are 24 to 30 inch striped bass in our favorite Breachway and the Blues (to 30-inches) came raging thru the Breachway just south of the us yesterday afternoon.

35 pound spawned out Chesapeke Striped bass were caught in the NY Bight on Thursday heading north to New England.

You better rig up three fly rods, a medium spinning rod and a 11 foot conventinal capable of flinging a 2.5 oz pencil popper towards the Irish coast.

If the worm hatch comes in on Memorial Day week, we will have found the Holy Grail.

See ya.

Bob

I spoke to the owner and he will try to get the wifi turned on this weekend. We are good to go for a friday arrival.

Now that I'm 70, Irequire a shower daily and a good cigar once a week.

DarkSkies
05-16-2009, 05:17 AM
Paumanok, you really should think about writin a book.

Some tips:

If you keep your food in the same cooler as your bait, do NOT eat the sandwich that "slightly" got wet by the clam juices, unless you brought a few extra rolls of toilet paper. :kooky: :upck:

Baby powder - don't leave home without it. Liberal applications when necessary. You can't prevent the funk in your waders, but you can prevent the funk from building up in areas that live in darkness. ;)

dogfish
05-16-2009, 11:14 AM
got wet by the clam juices, unless you brought a few extra rolls of toilet paper. :kooky: :upck:

Yes you are a little TMI at times Dark.:eek:

DarkSkies
06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
To add to this thread, I took pics of my favorite places to buy food and ones that have the nicest bathrooms. Makes a big difference sometimes. I took pics inside the Porta Potty at the NCB, but i think if I posted them people would be :upck:

Best Ghetto grocery store in Queens/Rockaway: (clean bathrooms too, upstairs and to the left) The meal you see displayed cost $10.32, and is enough for a full day, or 1 1/2 days if you're not a pig like me. :D

Best quick Jbay place for a pit stop and clean bathrooms:

Best product for chafing from fishin in wet gear for 2 days or more:

Frankiesurf
06-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Two words. Trail Mix.

You can get giant bags of the stuff at BJ's or Sams Club. They are great for boosting protein and sugar levels and if you eat enough you won't have to find a bathroom for three days.

VSdreams
06-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Two words. Trail Mix.

....and if you eat enough you won't have to find a bathroom for three days.

Yeah but when you find the bathroom you better have a lot of toilet paper!!:scared:

DarkSkies
06-26-2009, 05:14 PM
It's not a good idea to carry your plug bag for 5 nights in a row without using a jacket or something as a buffer. ;)

DarkSkies
08-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Take it from someone who learned the hard way by sideswiping the back 1/4 of the truck when a tree was too close to the side of the road. :embarassed:

I drive all over for a shot at decent fish, and have learned no fish is worth the consequences of an accident. Even a 5 hour energy drink has a let-down point.

When I get to that stage now, the first thing I do is pull over, get out, and do squats to get the blood going. Jumpin jacks if I have to, anything to get that blood pumping through my veins.

If that doesn't cut it for the next hour or so, I know I'm done and have to find a place to crash. I tend to stay away from rest stops because of the fruitcakes you meet at night there. So I look for a restaurant that will open in the morning with a secluded parking lot in the back, a bakery, deli, something like that. Then I hit the back and grab a few z'ssss. Nothing like the alert attitude you get from a few hour's sleep, and it may save your life.

Could also prevent your family from the choice of what suit they should bury you in, so that decision to turn off and grab some sleep could impact a lot of people, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Fish hard, but drive safe, that's my PSA for the day. :HappyWave:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

DarkSkies
09-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Found some spots worth mentioning:

(I had more pics, but somehow lost about 50 of them) :beatin:

Hess Station, Rt27E, Southhampton - the best place to hit the bathroom if you're traveling with a wife or girlfriend. Clean beautiful bathrooms, they will impress any woman you bring with you to Mecca. :thumbsup:

Food on a budget - I hit up the IGA in Montauk, best value around. :thumbsup: Food for 2 days cost me $28 this time, including a 12 pk of soda cause I ran out. I would advise to bring your liquids to Montauk instead of buying there, you WILL get thirsty.

Ice, I make my own 25# blocks, for the fall one block can last for 3 days. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

Fuel - don't buy in Montauk or any towns east, fill your tank near Shinnecock or further West. As of 9-12-09, they're charging $3.32.gallon for regular gas. :2flip:

DarkSkies
09-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't have chafing problems with my breathables, but I ain't wearin breathables on the rocks at Montauk just to slice a hole in em when I get knocked sideways. :D

So it's the neoprene backup pair for me. Whenever I wear them for more than a day, my ankles get chafed by the pants and I get bloody blisters.

Here's my solution...

Might look kinda weird, but I wrap the tape loosely, circulation is fine. More importantly, I wore the waders for 2 days with no chafing, rash, I'm jumpin for joy! :lookhappy:

Stripercoast1
09-14-2009, 09:47 AM
A better, in my opinion, idea for cooler ice, is to freeze the half liter bottles of spring water. I buy the 24 pack sams choice at wally world. 24 for $3. In a 150 coleman, use 40. as they Thaw, you got cold water to drink.

dogfish
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Do you have different socks on? :rolleyes:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7671&thumb=1&d=1252894789 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7671&d=1252894789)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7672&thumb=1&d=1252894789 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7672&d=1252894789)

DarkSkies
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Do you have different socks on? :rolleyes:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7671&thumb=1&d=1252894789 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7671&d=1252894789)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7672&thumb=1&d=1252894789 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7672&d=1252894789)

Yeah I guess I do. Today I washed my hair in the sink in a Moco beach bathroom after not having a shower for 3 days. Washed all the other orifices too, got some strange looks when I walked outta there. :laugh:

The thing to remember is ya gotta do it quick, and don't give an eff what kinda looks you get from people. :D

I did feel strange as I got some fuel at a gas station. A mother and her daughter were lookin at me kinda funny (ya know that look people give you when they're not sure you're a serial killer? They give you a half-hearted, nervous smile, when behind that smile they're thinking: "please God let me get my gas and drive away from this guy!" :scared:

That kind of smile, and look was what I got as I re-adjusted my gear, put a clean shirt on, and put the waders and rain jacket on quickly as the gas was filling. As I drove away I shouted: "I'm goin fishin!" but they still gave me that nervous smile. :don't know why:

I can't understand why.... :rolleyes:

** BTW, I found out I don't need to tape my pants any more, Hodgeman makes these things called "gaithers"? that hold your pants legs in place so they don't slide up. Didn't find them yet in the tackle shops I checked.

DarkSkies
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Maybe not, but it was worth the trip. ;)

Nomad skull cap

Nomad cheapest food of all time, you can have a carbo snack for 30c! :thumbsup:

Nomad food, nomad sleeping bag

Nomad indestructible phone. :thumbsup:

Nomad bathroom and "shower" facilities: :D
Right by the Mayfair Hotel in Spring Lake, very clean bathrooms. :thumbsup:

Frankiesurf
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Dude, I know you and you still make me nervous. :bigeyes:

For the pants in the waders I use velcro straps that my electrician friend gave to me. Hodgeman sells these neoprene straps with velcro that do not cut off your circulation.

Jackbass
11-09-2009, 10:19 AM
** BTW, I found out I don't need to tape my pants any more, Hodgeman makes these things called "gaithers"? that hold your pants legs in place so they don't slide up. Didn't find them yet in the tackle shops I checked.

I do that with long socks and tuck my pants into em

DarkSkies
11-13-2009, 02:49 PM
We just write the right tide on our hands!!

This was a friend of mine, he's hardcore and will fish 2 tides at a stretch for one big fish, if he has to. It's all about that large. :thumbsup:

I notice he scribbled the low tide on his hand and I took a pic of it.

I can't embarass him too much cause ya can't ID him with only a hand. He spent the weekend living in his car, just to catch a few tides. Hardcore emmeffer, the freak runs circles around me, good people. ;) :HappyWave:

plugcrazy
01-31-2010, 01:40 PM
I was looking at the older threads and came across this one. The most I do is fish overnight until the next night.
As for my nomad equipment, what I do is bring extra toilet paper, a towel, and 2nd change of clothes. It's no fun getting wet when it's cold out.

CharlieTuna
07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Nomad bathroom and "shower" facilities: :D
Right by the Mayfair Hotel in Spring Lake, very clean bathrooms. :thumbsup:

The most important thing right there! A guy can always find a place to go to the bathroom in the woods. After a night of fishing hard, though, it's nice to find a civilized place to wash up so the only smells coming from you are fishy ones.

rockhopper
07-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Yeah I use the gaithers too, it helps when you're out there for a lot of hours.

DarkSkies
11-11-2010, 06:41 PM
They had a special on hot dogs, 3/$2.99. Load em up with all that stuff at the hot dog bar and you have a complete nutritional meal. :rolleyes: :laugh:

With a soda it all came to $3.99, fishin budget style. Slept in my car that night so I saved the dough on a hotel room. Spent a little more than I wanted on gas, though, as it was 38 degrees and I kept getting woken up by the frikkin cold despite being wrapped in 2 blankets. Next time gotta bring that sleeping bag. :beatin:

speedy
11-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Dude, I know you and you still make me nervous. :bigeyes:

For the pants in the waders I use velcro straps that my electrician friend gave to me. Hodgeman sells these neoprene straps with velcro that do not cut off your circulation.

thats funny you know him too:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::plas tered::plastered::plastered:

storminsteve
11-11-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't want to be the one waiting in line after you at the bathroom after you eat all that. Or do nomads just crap in the woods, like bears do?:huh:

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't want to be the one waiting in line after you at the bathroom after you eat all that. Or do nomads just crap in the woods, like bears do?:huh:

Steve, us nomads are usually people who like to fish by outselves or maybe with a select 1 or 2 who think like we do. If the odors coming from me are something that causes others to stay away, it's all good. I don't want anyone crowding me when I'm fishin. ;)

As for the bears thing, I've got years of outdoors and camping experience and always have an extra roll of toplet paper or 2. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 04:01 PM
The next few weeks I'll be fishin the waters of LI Sound, from the boogie down Bronx to the edges where the wter comes in.
I thought of some tips for anyone who wants to get in in the good fishing in that area, which is arguably the best place to fish for big blues and bass right now. As I sat in 4 hours of traffic yesterday, to drive a total of 20 miles on the last leg of the short trip. I realized I need a better plan.

I made some mental notes for me to follow, thought some of ya's could benefit from my experiences if ya wanted to do the same thing. I'll add to them as I have tiime. If anyone cares to add to them, feel free.

For now......

DarkSkies' NOMAD tips for fishin the LI Sound....

1. Have a plan with a backup, not only for fishin but driving. I have a lot of contacts in the area, but don't like to be spoon-fed intel. If someone gives me a great tip for an area, I will spend hours on Google searching what other places near that are promising, in case the plan doesn't pan out. Alternate plans make for happy trips.

2. Driving - avoid peak hours, your sanity will thank you!
For those who don't live in LI, your primary roads will be I-95 and/or LIE. Rt 27 (Sunrise Highway) is another great alternative for those who live near Brooklyn or the Rockaways, but the lower end is filled with traffic and beach-goers during peak times. Run it at 2am if you must, or on a weeknight.
Weekends, stick to the main roads at off-peak times, or stay home.
Especially avoid the hours of 7-9am and 3-7pm on weeknights and 3-7pm on Sundays. :headbang::lynchmob:

3. Hot fishing - locals will know the generalities...
They may not know all the details, and if cows are around will probably not want to let you in on it, very understandable. :thumbsup: I speak several languages, some only a few phrases, and can have decent conversations with people on many levels.
The other night I was disoriented and stopped at a Gujrati food store/gas station to ask about some public beaches I was scouting. The Gujrat worker behind the counter could only tell me that lots of guys were in there in the morning, buying ice, and catching fish.
A local couple followed me out to my car, we had some nice conversations for 10 mins. They told me the beach I was going to was locked up as far as access went, but then suggested 3 other places I might be able to access. They were extremely nice to a stranger, and I definitely appreciated it. :cool:

4. Good GPS is a valuable tool. I not only obsessively research beaches, coves, and drain areas for access, I carry around several pre-printed destinations I want to go to and scout. If I get sidetracked, I can always get back in the groove.

5. Don't underestimate the value of asking the police.
If you're not doing anything illegal, why fear them? They're there to protect and serve. The other night, at 3am, I rolled up to a cop and asked about public access. She (pretty hot, about a 9) :) not only helped me with the access, she drove down the street and found me a parking spot.
Again, I have run into LE at a lot of locations, or sometimes they come to check me out when I'm sleeping in my car, tucked away somewhere. I have no problem showing them ID and explainiing why I'm there. At times you hit the jackpot and get an officer who's into fishing, and may develop some golden intel from it. So don't be bashful. It also helps when they know who you are and why you're poking around ritzy neighborhoods at night. Eliminating the criminal intent aspect from the situation makes all involved a lot more friendly. :fishing:

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 05:09 PM
6. If people are nice enough to clue you into intel as to fishing limited access areas, don't blab it on the internet and ruin it for those who came before you! :beatin: If you need this explained to you, maybe you should be golfing, not fishing. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png JustEd recently lost some prime access because some used his name as a reference, went there and mis-behaved, ruining it for a whole group of hard-core anglers who fished there for years. If fishing is so important to you that you NEED to fish, rather than WANT to fish, think before you try to be "helpful" to another angler who's looking for a spot to fish.

7. Pay attention to parking and residency regulations. Police in these towns get a large portion of annual operating revenue from ticketing out of towners. Unless you're aware of the nuances of how the police run their shifts and their levels of aggressiveness in certain areas (a topic best discussed privately), assume that any violations will result in stiff penalties, and always try to comply with the law when in another state.

8. Have all your licenses and fishing info handy and visible. This week I made sure I had all licenses and was listed on all the registries in the places where I want to fish, except for MA and RI. I also registered Pebbles, in case she wants to come on one of those trips.
Know the laws of EACH state you intend to fish, and carry them around with you so there is no confusion.
When I am kayaking and away from my vehicle an area where I feel I COULD be hassled, my info will be clearly visible in the windshield of my car along with my cell phone #. Another smart step to let LE know they don't have to worry about you breaking into the ritzy houses that usually cover those areas.

9. Know that the words "public access" and "Public trust" can sometimes open doors for you. The authorities in many areas know their policies are restrictive and they will hear it from the homeowners if you are tresspassinig. However, even in the tightest communities there is usually some token type of public access. They will even sometimes help you to find these places as they don't want you poking around in non-public access areas, or complaints from homeowners. Your job as a NOMAD is to find those places, keep them close to your vest, and benefit from fishing there. Again. please do not blab them on the internet as you or others who fish there will NOT benefit.

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 06:02 PM
more...

surfstix1963
07-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Thats why I don't bother on the north shore the access is so limited you just collect tickets and headaches from local cops and homeowners.

BassBuddah
07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
What surfstix said, and every year they try to make it worse for us. Shoreham was just one example, and we only got access back in dribs and drabs. I wish there was some group out there that had the big money to take these towns to court once and for all. That, is easier said than done. We have to fight these battles one little one at a time.

DarkSkies
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks again for starting the Shoreham thread BassBuddah. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You raised a lot of awareness. IMO that town will be marked in history as a place where battle lines were drawn and fisihermen fought back. :kicknuts:

It seems from the meetings I attended that LI has groups who are more vocal and political.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that people are fighting against the current DEP rulings in NJ.
And I appreciate the efforts of ALL of them, every group.
:clapping::clapping:
But I have been to access meetings in LI and NJ.

I definitely feel fishermen are more willing to represent in LI.
There is too much apathy in NJ. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png People don't understand the magnitude of these hearings. :huh:

I wish we could provide more of a spark for them do that here. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

DarkSkies
08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I know some will laugh at this, but I mark the location of every one of these that I will be passing by on the way to fishing.

As a veteran camper, I know all about crapping in the woods.
Finding a clean porta-potty is like an oasis in a desert....
there's something to be said for cleaning up well after all your toilet needs are met. :drool:

Finchaser will tell ya that fishing 2 days at a time as I do, I smell bad enough. Don't need any down-below smells coming from me. :laugh:

Here is a shining example of what I mean.
I found this on the side of the road, which would mean high-use.
However, the inside was sparkling clean, almost spotless!
And....they had a hand-sanitizer cannister that was full....it doesn't take much to make my day, on the road...:cool:

bababooey
08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't believe you put up a picture of a mr john. Catchy advertising though.:rolleyes:

finchaser
08-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I know some will laugh at this, but I mark the location of every one of these that I will be passing by on the way to fishing.

there's something to be said for cleaning up well after all your toilet needs are met. :drool:

Finchaser will tell ya that fishing 2 days at a time as I do, I smell bad enough. Don't need any down-below smells coming from me. :laugh:

And....they had a hand-sanitizer cannister that was full....it doesn't take much to make my day, on the road...:cool:

The way you smell the port O john probably did smell good,wouldn't surprise me if you took a nap in it.

DarkSkies
08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
The way you smell the port O john probably did smell good,wouldn't surprise me if you took a nap in it.

Why is it that your frikkin assumptions are so uncanny, ya grouchy basstard! :moon:

Actually, that port o john had just been serviced the day before. Hardly any use where it was...And... it was cleaner than some hotel rooms...so I did fall asleep on the crapper! I was so tired I closed my eyes for a sec, and 10 minutes later some guy was knocking on the door saying he needed to use it...startled me and woke me up! http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png :laugh:

DarkSkies
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Nomad disorganization and chaos.....,lately my car looks like my life...as I spend inordinate amounts of time to get into fish....I can't always be there in the AM. so I gotta work with what time I have....and truthfully, I'm kind of addicted to the night bite....

Today I was gonna take pics of the extra food I'm storing in the car for tomorrow, and the unhealthy snacks....but I dropped my camera Mon and I'm without a camera till I can replace that one....

the point I'm trying to make here, is if you're compulsive like me and can't get enough of the fish....then make sure you plan your meals ahead of time so ya's don't have to eat all the crap that will cause you to gain weight..... or you can just travel all over the state to find fish...I've lost 5lbs that way so far this week...:)

DarkSkies
11-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Look, we can't hide from it; it's a fact of life....:laugh:

And the better we learn to deal with it, the less access we lose....

So here's some tips about taking care of business when nature calls...

1. Find a store, (WaWa and CVS usually have customer bathrooms) Gas station(some are clean, some filthy, the big chains are usually better)

2. If you can't, find a porto-john on a construction site...many times they're the cleanest ones around...just try to be respectful when using it and clean up after yourself.

3. Peeing in a jar in your vehicle...dump out at a later time...

4. If you absolutely have to, let it go in the ocean or sand, but for Pete's sake, don't pi** on a homeowner's property or dock...that's the absolute worst thing ya can do...

If this seems like common sense and a stupid thing to discuss to you, then you're not the one I'm targeting with this message...

Some people need to read these words, they really do....:learn:

DarkSkies
11-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Cheap snacks on the go....

WaWa's has a shorty roll, with cream cheese or butter, for $1.27, can't beat that deal.

Some Quik Cheks have hardboiled eggs, sold one at a time, like 50c each. Great value and a quick healthy protein snack when you're on the road. Remember the more garbage you eat the worse it is for your heart...

plugaholic
11-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Toilet talk, I love it, you really crack me up sometimes ds. You are right, there are guys who don't care. Some places I fish smell like a public urinal troth. Thanks for the psa

bababooey
11-19-2011, 05:47 PM
. Some places I fish smell like a public urinal troth.

Especially when dark is in the vicinity.:ROFLMAO ;) :HappyWave:

mick2360
11-22-2011, 09:47 PM
3. Peeing in a jar in your vehicle...dump out at a later time...

Some people need to read these words, they really do....:learn:

This reminder a public service from our fearless leader: Dump Those **** Jars, guys! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-22-2011, 09:57 PM
^^ Hey Mick, it's gonna be a long and cold winter....toilet etiquette posts are always interesting fodder when guys are bored out of their minds...therefore I'm all about those "toilet tips PSA's" :kooky: :laugh: :HappyWave:

Speaking of nomads, ya need to make a road trip to NJ soon, it's time. I may not be around, but you should come anyway, I'll call ya with the details...:fishing:

storminsteve
11-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Especially when dark is in the vicinity.:ROFLMAO ;) :HappyWave:

:clapping::clapping: You can always smell when he's around, We should call him "pigpen skies".:laugh:

DarkSkies
12-03-2011, 08:03 AM
:clapping::clapping: You can always smell when he's around, We should call him "pigpen skies".:laugh:

Steve, you guys suck! :2flip: :moon:
But I guess I deserve it, going 2 days at a time without a shower, living in the car when the bite is hot....it's all good bro. :clapping: :HappyWave:

Nomad stench...
I was driving around with the OFFC in their SUV on Thur....we stopped on the beach several times to meet up with sitemembers and mutual friends....
one of these guys, as soon as he put his head inside to say hello, said...
"Gee, it smells like FETA CHEESE in here! :upck:....Since the Old Farts take showers every day like normal people, I have to assume that it was me that stunk that bad...:laugh: Oh well, when the bite is on, everything else suffers...:) :fishing:

Nomad sleeping arrangements...
Slept in the car at BSP so as not to miss any of the bite..it was a little cold at night...37 degrees, had to wake up twice to turn the car heater on...was wrapped up in 3 blankets, thanks to OGB for the blanket he gave me, cause he knows I got some mental problems...:laugh:

Nomad breakfast...

Additional Details, Fri...
I was so amped up for the action today...after the paltry numbers I got Thu, I was determined to get some decent fish today....

Morning ammunition....
Bagel with peanut butter....
4 advils to pre-empt any soreness....:laugh:
2 five hour energy drinks.... :bigeyes: :headbang: After drinking those, putting on my drytop and wading belt, I was ready to battle Godzilla out there...

mick2360
12-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Why is it that your frikkin assumptions are so uncanny, ya grouchy basstard! :moon:

Actually, that port o john had just been serviced the day before. Hardly any use where it was...And... it was cleaner than some hotel rooms...so I did fall asleep on the crapper! I was so tired I closed my eyes for a sec, and 10 minutes later some guy was knocking on the door saying he needed to use it...startled me and woke me up! http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png :laugh:

Posts like this are a good reason for a face pal smiley. Just saying, Rich. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
12-04-2011, 08:27 AM
^ Aaaah, thanks for the feedback, Mick, but it's all good. If I was any less abrasive with the old grouch he might think I was a nice guy or something and I might get a hug out of it. Hugs from Finchaser??? Something is very wrong with the world when that grouch goes around hugging people....just trying to do my part to keep the Universe in balance...:) :HappyWave: :cool: :fishing: :d :lookhappy: :bigeyes: :cool:

That's what we do around here sometimes, the ball busting makes it entertaining...even when the guys hurl insults about my stinkin waders...
BTW, Mick, hope ya weren't offended when I called ya a bastid for thinking I'm 53 :beatin:....ya know I love ya anyway....:laugh: :d :HappyWave:

ledhead36
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Steve, you guys suck! :2flip: :moon:
But I guess I deserve it, going 2 days at a time without a shower, living in the car when the bite is hot....it's all good bro. :clapping: :HappyWave:

Nomad stench...
I was driving around with the OFFC in their SUV on Thur....we stopped on the beach several times to meet up with sitemembers and mutual friends....
one of these guys, as soon as he put his head inside to say hello, said...
"Gee, it smells like FETA CHEESE in here! :upck:....Since the Old Farts take showers every day like normal people, I have to assume that it was me that stunk that bad...:laugh: Oh well, when the bite is on, everything else suffers...:) :fishing:

Slept in the car at BSP so as not to miss any of the bite..it was a little cold at night...37 degrees, had to wake up twice to turn the car heater on...was wrapped up in 3 blankets, thanks to OGB for the blanket he gave me, cause he knows I got some mental problems...:laugh:

Dude you amaze me. Are you sure they didn't smell fromunda cheese? Maybe you should take a bath more than once a week and you won't have that problem. Sleeping in the car at 37 degrees, they are going to find you frozen like a popsicle one morning, don't say I didn't warn you.

storminsteve
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Dude you amaze me. Are you sure they didn't smell fromunda cheese? Maybe you should take a bath more than once a week and you won't have that problem. .

Are you using lack of personal hygiene to keep people away from you at the beach?:scared: :upck:

bababooey
12-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Feta and fromunda? I think Dark is just trying to lose weight and make a salad.:ROFLMAO
Would you like some smegma for your dressing, sir?:rolleyes: :HappyWave:

Monty
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
so I did fall asleep on the crapper! I was so tired I closed my eyes for a sec, and 10 minutes later some guy was knocking on the door saying he needed to use it...startled me and woke me up! http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png :laugh:
Jeesh Dark, I usually take a quick nap on the beach if need be. A dune, rock.

jigfreak
12-05-2011, 01:19 AM

[...

Dark, sleeping in the car when its that cold out, do you know the IBML has a winter special rate of $40 a night? Check it out, man!

dogfish
12-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Face it, DS, you are a hobo.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

plugcrazy
12-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Dark the Hobo, haha!

bababooey
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
^^
Which one would most closely resemble dark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDA708XlFIo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq4YzFAa-8w&feature=related

I think this one covers it best, dark. He exits a public bathroom after sleeping there, at 1:25.
He looks for swans to eat at 2:00.
Sound like anyone you know?:laugh:

stormchaser
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Feta and fromunda? I think Dark is just trying to lose weight and make a salad.:ROFLMAO
Would you like some smegma for your dressing, sir?:rolleyes: :HappyWave:

You guys are raunchy! Funny as hell tho. Hell, I was conteplating a trip to Island Beach state park, so that would qualify me as a nomad as well. Ihear it has slowed down so for me it wouldn't be worth the drive.

storminsteve
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
^^
Which one would most closely resemble dark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDA708XlFIo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq4YzFAa-8w&feature=related

I think this one covers it best, dark. He exits a public bathroom after sleeping there, at 1:25.
He looks for swans to eat at 2:00.
Sound like anyone you know?:laugh:

Classically funny!:clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
12-05-2011, 11:24 PM
You people really are a bunch o mooks. Especially with the bathroom and swans...bababooey ya got me! :2flip: :HappyWave:

Ain't ya's ever heard of camping? I been camping in the woods at night since I was 12, first with the Boys' Club, and then on my own...used to spend all my 4 day weekends in Split Rock Reservoir, with a bunch of "survivalist" dudes I got to meet :cool:, good times. Some of the best mini-vacations I ever took.

The hobo stuff is too funny, people. Very ironic that you would say that. :thumbsup:
I found some prickly pears in IBSP, tasted them, had a snack, and brought some home for Pebbles to try....she tried one, then spit it out saying they had too many pits...:ROFLMAO What's a few pits if your survival is at stake....:rolleyes: :d
So she said to me, "Dark you are getting to be like a hobo!"

I guess posting these pics won't make the ball busting any better...but I really don't care...:moon: :laugh:...and the prickly pears are quite good, sweet and tasty...:drool:

but make sure you wash them before you eat em, as they have some spurs on them that can irritate your skin and mouth....:)

storminsteve
12-06-2011, 08:17 AM
I found some prickly pears in IBSP, tasted them, had a snack, and brought some home for Pebbles to try....she tried one, then spit it out saying they had too many pits...:ROFLMAO What's a few pits if your survival is at stake....:rolleyes: :d
So she said to me, "Dark you are getting to be like a hobo!"

DS the survivalist - Dark I want to send a tape of you in the woods to the outdoor network, maybe you could be a star. First you have to eat one of these - are you in?:upck: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBnssLXZEwI&feature=player_embedded#!

surferman
12-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Ooooh that is so gross!

cowherder
12-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah ds you could eat one of those bugs and film it, have west wind wally narrate, that would be funny as heck!

bababooey
12-07-2011, 08:12 AM
DS the survivalist - Dark I want to send a tape of you in the woods to the outdoor network, maybe you could be a star. First you have to eat one of these - are you in?:upck: :laugh:

I'll put up $20 if he does it and gets it on film. That bug is nasty.:eek:

dogfish
12-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I'll add $10 to that 20. Next up, dark shows us how to eat pine trees, yum yum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kvEdQnoshI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4F9EF0CA460A9AF6

DarkSkies
12-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Steve, I'll eat half a sandworm, a big juicy one, if you'll eat the other half at the same time....:drool:

Let me know when you're ready.... :cool: :HappyWave:
Thanks for the laughs, guys, funny stuff...I think ya's overdid it with the tree bark, though...:laugh:

storminsteve
12-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Sorry Dark, I ain't eating a sandworm, that's foul beyond belief. You win by default, brother.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
12-14-2011, 08:34 AM
^^ OK Steve, but anytime ya want to give sandworm eating a shot, let me know....:laugh: :HappyWave:

Just a point of etiquette, Dark: Is it okay to lather up and shave after taking a nap and a dump in a construction site port a potty? :ROFLMAO

Mick, get wit the program! :beatin:

Some points for review...
1. It is ok to take a nap in a port a potty, assuming it has been freshly serviced and you are one of the first 3 people to use it...;)

2. The lather up and shaving may not be done in the port a pottys, any true fishing nomad would know that....:rolleyes:

3. For the bathing and washing of the stinking areas (armpits, orifices, etc), the best places for that are the large WaWas, bathrooms are usually clean first thing in the morning..... or the local CVS...their bathrooms are barely used by the public and are a pleasure to clean up in...if you're washing your head in the sink there, make sure you clean up after yourself and get er done in a hurry....:cool:

4. Small grocery stores are ok as well, but watch youself in the ghetto grocery stores around Jamaica bay, as has been discussed earlier in the thread.
Wal-marts are ok if in a pinch, but IMO most Wal-Mart bathrooms have very high traffic, and are pretty disgusting, even for me....:ROFLMAO

So...low traffic = low germs...
Hope that helped, bro....;) :HappyWave:

For those who need further clarification, I may be putting together a seminar series this winter....

surfwalker
12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Will that seminar series be held in a Mr. John, standing room only?

ledhead36
12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
^:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
Hobo Dark!

cowherder
12-14-2011, 10:00 PM

You shouldn't have suggested that, he might actully consider it!

dogfish
12-15-2011, 10:07 AM
^^ OK Steve, but anytime ya want to give sandworm eating a shot, let me know....:laugh: :HappyWave:

3. For the bathing and washing of the stinking areas (armpits, orifices, etc), the best places for that are the large WaWas, bathrooms are usually clean first thing in the morning..... or the local CVS...their bathrooms are barely used by the public

Way TMI:upck: :kooky:
If I am ever in Jersey when they have sand worms in the shops, I'll take ya up on that one.:HappyWave:

fishinmission78
12-16-2011, 06:26 AM
1. It is ok to take a nap in a port a potty, assuming it has been freshly serviced and you are one of the first 3 people to use it...;)

I dunno, when I'm tired I just take a nap in my truck - just saying.:rolleyes:

finchaser
03-21-2012, 07:40 PM
DS mottos=

everynight all night keeps my numbers up
:fishing:
nothing sleeps like a car seat
:boring:
wind and rain is a soapless shower
:HappyWave:
oh thank heaven for 7/11 :clapping:
home cooking gotta have my WAWA:drool:

DarkSkies
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
DS mottos=

Just wanted to thank you for that, ya grouch! :moon:
You're a poet, and don't even know it.... :clapping: :laugh:

DarkSkies
04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
^^ I hear ya, FishinMission....not many people would think it's acceptable to take a nap in a porta-john....but when I'm tired I can sleep anywhere, even on a rocky trail or crime-ridden beach.....thanks for the opinion....:HappyWave:

Nomad travels....
I may not be doing much of it this year because of the high price of gas and tolls...
I'll periodically be jumping in here though, with my nomad thoughts and experiences....
Anyone else who's out there traveling from one place to another to fish, feel free to jump in with your thoughts and hints...

The lastest thoughts I had were after spending a few nights regularly fishing cold Spring waters in the kayak....

I fished the jetties a lot in the Winter, Air temps as low as 22 degrees....:scared: Water temps as low as 43....
The thing about that, is I was less exposed to the cold as every part of my body had at least 3 layers on.
Now that I'm out in the yak, I wear less layers in case the worst happens and I have to go swimming to self-rescue.
Yes I always have a PFD on...
but if there is too much clothing that can drag you down, even with a PFD.
Or, fighting to stay afloat can sap more of your energy than you think, thereby cutting down on survival time.

As a result, I'm usually in situations where I'm wet, and cold, for several hours.
Wet cold is much less manageable than dry cold.

As I've been fishing a lot lately, when I get home I don't always have time to shower before work.
Last night was my first shower in 2 days.
Instead of a shower, I took a tub bath, something that as a guy, I don't get into too much anymore (Real men only take showers, tub baths are for sissies....:laugh: )

I gotta tell ya's taking that tub bath, in the hot scalding water, and using soap on every part of my body, it was just great....one of the pleasures in life that doesn't cost that much,,,other than the cost to heat the water...and when you are cold, deep down to your bones....it's pure heaven. :drool:

finchaser
04-13-2012, 08:39 PM
^^

I've been fishing a lot lately, when I get home I don't always have time to shower before work.
Last night was my first shower in 2 days.
Instead of a shower, I took a tub bath, taking that tub bath, in the hot scalding water,

This causes a chum slick in his case,and must smell like the bilge of a boat. To amuse yourself while you soak do you fart and bite at the bubbles???????????????

Monty
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I have nothing to contribute to this thread.
I'm Speechless.
Finchaser that is hilarious.
Dark, well............

cowherder
04-14-2012, 01:08 AM
:clapping::clapping: Finchaser that is priceless! Now if it could only render Dark speechless, he might actually save on stripers and anglers bandwidth.:laugh:
Sorry Dark you made that one too easy!

storminsteve
04-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I gotta tell ya's taking that tub bath, in the hot scalding water, and using soap on every part of my body, it was just great....one of the pleasures in life that doesn't cost that much,,,other than the cost to heat the water...and when you are cold, deep down to your bones....it's pure heaven. :drool:

Umm, dark, these pleasure of life as you call them - most of us partake of them every day, instead of skipping a day.
And instead of glorifying soap, I guess I kind of take that for granted to....it happens when you use these things regularly.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

hookset
04-14-2012, 01:59 AM
This causes a chum slick in his case,and must smell like the bilge of a boat. To amuse yourself while you soak do you fart and bite at the bubbles???????????????

Question of the week.
I bet he does do that.:headbang:

DarkSkies
04-30-2012, 09:58 AM
:clapping::clapping: Finchaser that is priceless! Now if it could only render Dark speechless, he might actually save on stripers and anglers bandwidth.:laugh:
Sorry Dark you made that one too easy!

Cowherder, someone once said I got paid by the word. If that were true...
I would have had my own private island off Honduras by now....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
And a fishing cabin in every country where Larry Dahlberg (Hunt for Big Fish) fishes.

First ya put images in folks' heads of me sitting naked on a jetty, in January. :scared:
Then, ya put images in their heads of me sitting in the tub and biting the bubbles....:kooky:

I get no respect around here, I tell ya. :don't know why: :laugh:

finchaser
04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
naked was front lawn, Jetty was sleeping keep the story straight.

storminsteve
05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I get no respect around here, I tell ya. :don't know why: :laugh:

Umm, whn you are known for sleeping in a porta potty, it makes it kind of easy to bust on you. Just saying.:HappyWave:
Maybe you should talk to Rodney Dangerfield.

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
^^ Tough crowd here.....:moon: :HappyWave:

Got another little story for ya's.....

"I chased after the big bluefish for the last 36 hoursDidn't want to go home with only one fish for the trip.
Went South looking for some bluefish action.
Fished the pre-dawn to dawn window...5-6am.
No bluefish action for me at all....went to sleep in the car hoping to catch some action around the next tide change."

As some can imagine, after fishing for 18 hours and sleeping in the vehicle I woke up looking and smelling not too good.
Found my way to Castaways bait and Tackle.
Went there and talked to the Old Salts hanging out, for a bit.... said Hi to Joe Melillo, checked out the new consignment things he's getting in every day.....

Then, unnoticed, I slipped into the bathroom and took a Hobo Shower....:laugh:

I cleaned and scubbed everything as quickly as I could.
Used deodorizer spray in the bathroom when I was done....

And...I did leave that bathroom a lot cleaner when I left than when I entered as I spent a few minutes wiping everything down....
a good thing to remember if you want to take a hobo shower somewhere where you know the people and don't want them to get mad at you....:o

I don't think anyone noticed I took the hobo shower in there,,,but it was absolutely necessary.:upck:
The other day at Walmart a woman and her daughter were pointing at me and whispering....when I looked at myself in the bathroom later I noticed my face and neck were brown, like I had been sleeping under a railroad bridge somewhere.....:wheeeee:

finchaser
08-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Marathon man stinks up the environment again you really need to go to nose specialist as it's obvious yours doesn't work. Got some reports from people where you cleaned up yesterday. they said you smelt like you were dumpster diving.

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Got some reports from people where you cleaned up yesterday. they said you smelt like you were dumpster diving.

I fell off the chair when I read this.... :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup: :ROFLMAO :cool:
Damn you you Grouchy Basstid! :2flip:
I know I looked and smelled bad. I had to keep a bit of a distance from the old timers because I was so self conscious....
But I guess some of them were downwind from me and it was not a pleasant experience for them.....:upck:
What can I say...when chasing after fish I look and smell like a homeless dude....
And Rip wants to fish with us....why the torture? :scared:

williehookem
08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
If you guys really stink that bad maybe you have a new way to avoid getting mugged. You should see demo last 2 falls, elbow to elbow.

bababooey
08-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Marathon man stinks up the environment again you really need to go to nose specialist as it's obvious yours doesn't work. Got some reports from people where you cleaned up yesterday. they said you smelt like you were dumpster diving.

This is rofl funny dark. I wonder if you see yourself as others claim they do. Some fishermen, their reputation precedes them. With you, your smell precedes you. Kudos, dude.:HappyWave:

finchaser
08-29-2012, 09:21 PM
If you guys really stink that bad maybe you have a new way to avoid getting mugged. You should see demo last 2 falls, elbow to elbow.

not guy's just DS

DarkSkies
08-29-2012, 09:32 PM
^^ Take this, ya basstid! :2flip: :moon: :laugh: :HappyWave:

Maybe I do smell, just a bit....:rolleyes:

I stopped in the Wilson Ave Deli on the way to work after fishin this morning.
The one with the 2 Indian sisters, one of whom has goo goo eyes for Rip 316.

I'm trying to lose weight so I cut down on the PR Egg n Cheese Sammiches....:laugh:
The one sister said to me...

"you fishy today? You catch? You smell like fish this morning!" :embarassed:

So maybe I do smell a bit...if a girl in an Indian Deli notices it.....:ROFLMAO

Also.......
She asked about Rip316,,,,said "When you see the other guy you say Hi to him for me!"
"How come he no come in here no more for my sandwiches. I make them special just for him!" :plastered:

So Rip, when you get a chance to read this,,,,,she really misses ya! :laugh: :scared:

hookedonbass
08-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I think if you guys weren't allowed to fish, some of you would be locked up.
And that is what I think.:laugh:

bababooey
08-30-2012, 06:30 PM
^^ Or on powerful anti-psychotic meds.
I bet Dark himself would be a very interesting case-study for a young psychiatrist looking to make a name for himself.:moon: :laugh::HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Wilson Ave deli......
Also.......
She asked about Rip316,,,,said "When you see the other guy you say Hi to him for me!"
"How come he no come in here no more for my sandwiches. I make them special just for him!" :plastered:
So Rip, when you get a chance to read this,,,,,she really misses ya! :laugh: :scared:

And just so ya know Rip, the other morning I had 2 of them "jumping" into the air to prove which one was younger..:pig:..Man it was a funny scene till some customers came in...;)

I don't always eat those sammiches...trying to eat a little healthier.....:rolleyes:

some pics.....

Nomad breakfast...all fresh garden tomatoes, & Pesto....n chunks of cheese...

Nomad late night snack...rice, fresh tomatoes, fresh pesto, chunks of cheese....

I am gonna be so sad when I can't eat those tomatoes anymore.....:(

DarkSkies
10-07-2012, 03:58 PM
nomad Dinner/ energy snack....nothing as economical and energy producing as peanut butter......:drool:

storminsteve
10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Well at least these are better than the toilet pics. We had some great tomatoes from our garden this year too. Good year for tomatoes, bad year for bass? Dark if you're going to montauk this year let me know, would be glad to tag along.:HappyWave:

finchaser
10-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Christ man at least use chunky peanut butter if it's dinner

DarkSkies
10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
^ It is chunky peanut butter, ya basstid.......:plastered:
If you look closely ya can see the texture....or could be maggots...who knows......:laugh: :rolleyes:
You are getting a little old....maybe time for some reading glasses......:kiss:

Monty
10-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I think I have a tip.
A while back I remember talking with Dark about the stench of waders being an unavoidable occurrence from lots of hardcore surf fishing but that bad breadth is just not acceptable. I always have a bottle of Listerine in the Honda. So this morning after fishing for 7 1/2 hours I was on the way home and was tired. So I pulled over took a quick power nap and was back on the Parkway in 20 minutes. I noticed my mouth needed some mouth wash so took a mouth full of the Listerine. Swished it around, accidentally swallowed some, projectile vomited over the windshield :upck:. The look on the woman's face in the passenger seat in the car next to me was priceless.
So my tip is don't gargle with Listerine while driving a vehicle....:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
10-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I think I have a tip.
A while back I remember talking with Dark about the stench of waders being an unavoidable occurrence from lots of hardcore surf fishing but that bad breadth is just not acceptable. I always have a bottle of Listerine in the Honda. So this morning after fishing for 7 1/2 hours I was on the way home and was tired. So I pulled over took a quick power nap and was back on the Parkway in 20 minutes. I noticed my mouth needed some mouth wash so took a mouth full of the Listerine. Swished it around, accidentally swallowed some, projectile vomited over the windshield :upck:. The look on the woman's face in the passenger seat in the car next to me was priceless.

So my tip is...... don't gargle with Listerine while driving a vehicle....:thumbsup:

You did that with your new vehicle?
ROFLMFAO!..........
so the sequence of events, something like this?........

You....
:bucktooth: :idea: :whoo: :upck:

The lady next to you.......
:scared: :mad: :kooky: :plastered: :idea: :beatin:

Me reading this.......:ROFLMAO :laugh: :cool: :clapping:

Monty
10-14-2012, 08:26 PM
ROFLMFAO!..........
You....

That about sums it up.
.....:HappyWave:
I had to pull over from laughing.....and also it was pretty messy.

rip316
10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Holy crap that's nasty.

vpass
10-15-2012, 09:06 AM
I noticed my mouth needed some mouth wash so took a mouth full of the Listerine. Swished it around, accidentally swallowed some, projectile vomited over the windshield :upck:. The look on the woman's face in the passenger seat in the car next to me was priceless.

I couldn't stop from laughing. That's funny and gross at the same time. I keep mouthwash in my vehicle also. I now will be thinking of you every time I use it.

seamonkey
10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
You guys are nuts! That was so funny. You probably traumatized that poor woman. Great stuff!

storminsteve
10-15-2012, 10:20 AM
:clapping: Haha hilarious. Monty you need a gopro camera to film some of this.

crosseyedbass
10-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Loved that story monty. I was drinking coffee after an all nighter and had a coughing fit. Some of it accidentally came out the back end. I felt the wet spot as I was driving. It was pretty gross as I had drank a lot of coffee. I reached down opened my pants and tried to put a napkin there. Someone driving a suv (higher point of view) saw me and looked at me in disgust. They probably thought I was j/o ing. that was an embarassing moment.

surferman
10-15-2012, 04:07 PM
This thread is hilarious and gross at the same time. Is that possible?

DarkSkies
12-08-2012, 09:49 AM
^ We are at your service, Surferman..:HappyWave:.this is all true and part of the on the road Nomad Surf Fishing TipSheet that will be distributed at the next Finchaser Seminar....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6421-Finchaser-seminar-series&highlight=finchaser+seminar

look for it in the Spring......;)

Gas stations on the road.....
I try not to shill for any one gas station, but the other day at a Hess Station I bought gas for $3.14/ Gallon...at least 13c cheaper than the cheapest and about a half buck cheaper than one of the main brands.

Also, the corporate Hess stations have free air, with a compressor adjusting your tire pressure if too light or too much. Very cool innovation.....:cool:

finchaser
12-08-2012, 07:55 PM
knowing you, you drove 50 miles to save .13 a gallon in a car that holds 10 gallons:kooky::HappyWave:

storminsteve
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM
^^ :clapping:

DarkSkies
12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Keep up the busting guys....,making me laugh......:laugh: :clapping:

This weekend I did some traveling. Slept in my car to save on gas and tolls.....

Meals
Tip for meals if you are walking a lot of beachfront and burning carbs.....

Find a reasonable buffet...I found one for $12.95...with tip included I spent $16 for about a 2500 calorie meal (including snacks of bagels and muffins I sweet talked the waitress into letting me bring out with me.....;) )

Here's part of the spread...I ate 3 plates of food,(home made omelets made right there in front of you)... brought the bagels and muffins out with me....enough food to keep me going all day, and lots of healthy protein...... a lot better than eating at Wa Wa or Quik Chek.....

Hobo shower -
In addition to the nice place to eat, the bathroom was big, clean and spotless....
How to get this done....
1. Do it at a time when they are less busy, less peak periods.
2. Plan your attack, ie go to the bathroom quickly and get out to the sink when there is no one around.
3. If someone comes in when you are doing it, they will give you dirty looks, so your mission is to not let that happen.
4. Move with lightning speed and have the paper towels, etc that you will dry yourself with, all laid out ahead of time.
5. I am now at the point where I can wash my hair in the sink, then soap up my pits and darkest areas...:laugh:...all in about a minute....if someone comes in at most they will see my drying myself....all good.....
6. After you are on the road for more than 24 hours, fishing hard, getting some of the stink away from you....is priceless...you feel like a new man afterwards....:bigeyes:

** And make sure you are a good citizen and clean up after yourself in the bathroom...it only takes a few seconds to wipe down everyting, mirrors, etc.....

DarkSkies
12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I think I have a tip.

ROFLMFAO!..........

You....

Tooth brushing for nomads,,,,,,

Since I would rather spend the limited bathroom time (without getting caught) taking a hobo shower in a nice bathroom, I tend to leave the tooth brushing to the parking lot afterwards....I am happy to report that no women were terrified when I brushed my teeth that morning this weekend, and no, Monty, I did not projectile vomit on my windshield.....:scared: :upck:

I'm still remembering this story, Monty...it's one of the all time classics that makes me laugh...good work, bro. :clapping: :laugh: :HappyWave:

finchaser
12-10-2012, 10:02 PM
all that and only 40 minutes from his home

buckethead
12-11-2012, 06:02 AM
This weekend I did some traveling. Slept in my car to save on gas and tolls.....

4. Move with lightning speed and have the paper towels, etc that you will dry yourself with, all laid out ahead of time.
5. I am now at the point where I can wash my hair in the sink, then soap up my pits and darkest areas...:laugh:...all in about a minute....if someone comes in at most they will see my drying myself....all good.....
6. After you are on the road for more than 24 hours, fishing hard, getting some of the stink away from you....is priceless...you feel like a new man afterwards....:bigeyes:

** And make sure you are a good citizen and clean up after yourself in the bathroom...it only takes a few seconds to wipe down everyting, mirrors, etc.....

I call BS, you can take a hobo shower in a minute? :rolleyes:
And what about the cops when you are sleeping, don't they roust you and tell you to move?

finchaser
12-11-2012, 08:06 AM
lets not forget sometimes he sleeps in porto jons so the police can't find him^^^^ remember DS doesn't fire on all cylinders

DarkSkies
12-12-2012, 07:57 PM
^^ :clapping:

You too Steve? :( :moon: :HappyWave:

I call BS, you can take a hobo shower in a minute? :rolleyes:
And what about the cops when you are sleeping, don't they roust you and tell you to move?

Buckethead, I had to take a hobo shower today in a place that wasn't equipped for showers....timed myself....did it in 1:05....is that close enough? :laugh: :HappyWave:

I have been rousted by LE several times when sleeping...
The only time I really got harassed was in Deal when they told me no one is allowed to sleep in their town at night...and told me to move to the next town over....
Another time getting a trooper escort from the side of the road to a "safer" rest area.....
I have dozens more stories like that....enough to fill a book.....

I just tell them the truth, that I was fishing and ran out of energy and couldn't drive anymore....have no problem with them checking my vehicle, and all my docs check out....so I have nothing to hide....sometimes honesty is the best policy....When I see them shaking their heads when they are looking at me....:kooky: I know they're going to leave me alone....

plus by the smell they can see I'm telling the truth..... (Finchaser will be happy to hear that one.....:moon: )

lets not forget sometimes he sleeps in porto jons so the police can't find him^^^^ remember DS doesn't fire on all cylinders

Thanks pal.....The next time I come scouting for you looking to mug you...I'm gonna eat half a dozen hardboiled eggs a few hours before, make sure I haven't washed in 2 days....and eaten some of those garlic tomatoes that Pebbles and I canned this Fall.....

I'm gonna give ya a big bear hug at the same time I'm letting loose the gas from the eggs.......ya won't be able to stop me unless Speedy is guarding you with one of his 9MMs.......Looking forward to it.....:moon: :kiss: :laugh:

bababooey
12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
I have dozens more stories like that....enough to fill a book.....
plus by the smell they can see I'm telling the truth..... (Finchaser will be happy to hear that one.....:moon:

apparently you have no sense of shame, so please do, why not share some more stories?:HappyWave:

storminsteve
01-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Dark got a new cool place for you to go to the bathroom when it's cold. It's about 100' N of Pier Village in Long Branch. They even have it heated in the winter! Just think- you could sleep in it, saving on hotel costs.:laugh:

DarkSkies
01-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Steve, you da man, thanks...:HappyWave:
Actually, I went in there Thu PM after fishing....the only thing is it wasn't heated at that time.....(although you are right it has been). I think they turn the heat on weekends now for the tourists...

There are few real pleasures in life as you get older.
One of them is being able to sit your butt down on a toilet seat that's not ice cold when you have to dump. :laugh:
Another one is finding a bathroom nice enough to take a nap in....:kooky: ;)

albiealert
01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Steve, you da man, thanks...:HappyWave:
Actually, I went in there Thu PM after fishing....the only thing is it wasn't heated at that time.....(although you are right it has been). I think they turn the heat on weekends now for the tourists...

There are few real pleasures in life as you get older.
One of them is being able to sit your butt down on a toilet seat that's not ice cold when you have to dump. :laugh:
Another one is finding a bathroom nice enough to take a nap in....:kooky: ;)

Dark I don't know if I should laugh or puke at that. Hardcore.

surfwalker
01-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Dark got a new cool place for you to go to the bathroom when it's cold. It's about 100' N of Pier Village in Long Branch. They even have it heated in the winter! Just think- you could sleep in it, saving on hotel costs.:laugh:

Heated bathroom, pretty good. Does it have current reading material or do you have to bring your own.

DarkSkies
02-21-2013, 10:18 AM
^ Surfwalker, the bathroom wasn't that great a place....last time in it I saw one of those little empty drug bags on the floor....there is a club nearby in Pier Village....could be it was becoming a place for some to go in there and cop a quick buzz before going into the club, or some others....the best thing I can say about it is it was heated and relatively cleaner than some other bathrooms.....

DarkSkies
05-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Jeesh Dark, I usually take a quick nap on the beach if need be. A dune, rock.

Mick, get with the program! :beatin:

2. The lather up and shaving may not be done in the port a pottys, any true fishing nomad would know that....:rolleyes:

3. For the bathing and washing of the stinking areas (armpits, orifices, etc), the best places for that are the large WaWas, bathrooms are usually clean first thing in the morning..... or the local CVS...their bathrooms are barely used by the public and are a pleasure to clean up in...if you're washing your head in the sink there, make sure you clean up after yourself and get er done in a hurry....:cool:

4. Small grocery stores are ok as well, but watch youself in the ghetto grocery stores around Jamaica bay, as has been discussed earlier in the thread.
Wal-marts are ok if in a pinch, but IMO most Wal-Mart bathrooms have very high traffic, and are pretty disgusting, even for me....:ROFLMAO

So...low traffic = low germs...
Hope that helped, bro....;) :HappyWave:

For those who need further clarification, I may be putting together a seminar series this winter....

DS mottos=

I was looking over this thread. Thanks for the laughs, people, you made my day....
The OGB felt sorry for me sleeping in my car all the time....found me a slightly used mattress to sleep on...just sent me this pic on the phone.....Thanks, Pal.....:rolleyes: :HappyWave:

figured I would post it before he did....:kiss:

bababooey
10-31-2013, 09:57 PM
F the mattress ds! I found you a bathroom that some guy converted into the house. think of the possibilities!:laugh: :HappyWave:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/9461916/From-public-loo-to-private-home.html

albiealert
10-31-2013, 10:35 PM
lol

bababooey
12-26-2013, 12:33 AM
dark I found you another porto jon for the road trips. The homeowner even decorated it. Merry Christmas.:HappyWave:

finchaser
12-26-2013, 10:22 AM
He'll want to lease it with an option to buy.:ROFLMAO

storminsteve
05-30-2014, 12:57 PM

haha that's priceless! I found him one as well. Rich I couldn't resist!
Your summer cottage at the shore? :HappyWave:

storminsteve
05-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Loved that story monty. I was drinking coffee after an all nighter and had a coughing fit. Some of it accidentally came out the back end. I felt the wet spot as I was driving. It was pretty gross as I had drank a lot of coffee. I reached down opened my pants and tried to put a napkin there. Someone driving a suv (higher point of view) saw me and looked at me in disgust. They probably thought I was j/o ing. that was an embarassing moment.

I read something here about dark having the same thing and having to dump his drawers in the woods. Rich I have to ask - did you lose something when you were fishing last week at night? Do you wear boxers or briefs?:ROFLMAO

cowherder
05-30-2014, 07:57 PM
^^^^^^^haha lol!!!!!

Monty
05-30-2014, 09:36 PM
haha that's priceless! I found him one as well. Rich i couldn't resist!
Your summer cottage at the shore? :happywave:

:roflmao:

DarkSkies
05-31-2014, 09:22 AM
^ OK ya mooks, laugh all you want....I'm saving big time on motel bills.....and a lot of the low budget motels have bed bugs anyway.....:laugh: :HappyWave:

Steve....starting to worry about ya......you and the other mooks can talk all ya's want about me sleeping in the port-a-potty....all good...:clapping:.:thumbsup:
But why the hell are ya worried about my underwear? :kooky:
Sudsy did the same thing at the last get together at JimB's house..:HappyWave:....commented about my clothes......I have never in my life had an interest in the clothes another man was wearing......:don't know why:

Should I be concerned about every time I bend over to unhook a fish....... if we ever do fish together again? :scared:
I hope and pray you're not trying out for the other team.......:rolleyes:

It's all good though....people....feel free to keep at it....:clapping:...but PLEASE don't concern yerselves with my underwear.....
(BTW that did happen to me once, good memory...but I had the decency to bury the smelly things in the woods.....):HappyWave:

storminsteve
05-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Oh come on dude you know I'm totally hetero! I go to the Church of the Bearded Clam! Glad you liked my pick of summer cottage. No realtor fees. :HappyWave:

basshunter
05-31-2014, 05:07 PM
I go to the Church of the Bearded Clam!

The real question is would you have one tattooed like this chick had? She brought in a pic of her vaj and had it tattooed on her leg. Sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6xeX9rF0QE

Check out the bearded clam song lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clkm-b1h4vc

DarkSkies
03-04-2015, 08:11 AM
dark I found you another porto jon for the road trips. The homeowner even decorated it. Merry Christmas.:HappyWave:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17865&stc=1

haha that's priceless! I found him one as well. Rich I couldn't resist!
Your summer cottage at the shore? :HappyWave:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18417&stc=1

:roflmao:

The sitemember and friend I met at Berkeley didn't believe the story about me sleeping in porto pottys.
Just for the record,

The Official Darkskies Porto Potty story
(Copyright Darkskies 2012)

I only did it once, and it was clean inside, had just been serviced. I was the first occupant to take a dump in there, and it felt great!
Unfortunately, I was tired, and did end up taking a nap in there after I finished.......
I had worked all day, was driving out to LI to fish the rockpiles off of Oyster Bay in my kayak......and I just couldn't go on anymore without a quick nap.
I was rudely interrupted from this nap by a guy knocking on the door, who asked me how long I would be in there....:kooky:
Startled by his knock, :scared: and grumbly, I got myself together and out of there soon after.......

Hope that clears things up.......:2flip: :laugh:

The End.....:moon: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
12-03-2015, 07:29 PM
One of my nutcase friends, follows the fish all over. Has scored quite a few nice fish this year when everyone else gave up. To do it he sleeps in his truck a few nights at a time. Usually weekends when he is off work. Some of his largest fish are posted in the surf fishing pics thread started by surfstix.

He sent me this pic of his sleep setup, converted back of his truck.

hookset
03-08-2016, 07:53 AM
BH really liked the bearded clam song thanks for sharing bro.
Here's a quick shower for those on the road trips. Hangs from a tree in the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BettCr9futc

bababooey
03-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Saw this thought you nomads might be interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlg7Rd8sHL0

DarkSkies
05-16-2016, 10:27 PM
Good contributions, folks.
Took a few nomad trips in the last month...
A few were very productive and filled the addiction.....
A few were where I was hitting some places "ahead of the bite" to visit some areas I hadn't visited in other states. Looking at log books from the past is helpful to dial in at times. Every year is different, and I wanted to see if I could get a handle on when the migratory fish would show up in those areas. So, for those trips, I did poorly overall....
Still. you have to put in the time if you are serious about catching at night.....and I had to see for myself..

I had some great nights out there...where I was the only fool fishing in that area....it gave me a better sense of the tides and new holes and cuts when I do go back, and what the forage situations were....
I fished waters that smelled like sewers....dirty as anything...and held big fish....also some of the most pristine waters in our area, outside of NJ....and felt alive just to be back and walking through the tidal areas, once more....
Like old familiar faces of the old surfcasters I bump in from time to time......there are a lot of old familiar waters....that energize me just be walking through them.

Be careful on your journeys...
Try to be respectful of homeowners...
Try to be fully aware of the safety of your area...

Some great nights of fishing are still ahead...
Good luck out there, people. :HappyWave:
Till next time.....

bababooey
05-17-2016, 06:55 AM
And always have a clean porta potty ready to sleep in.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-21-2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks for worrying about my toilet and hygiene needs, bababooey. How thoughtful of ya! :HappyWave:
Last week, Pebbles and I had to travel over the Throgs Neck Bridge. Beautiful deep water, filled with giant bunker and bluefish and bass right now. Made me yearn for a trip to the Western Sound, if I wasn't so busy. I miss those giant bluefish. The way things have become, its becoming necessary to travel to certain areas, for certain fish.

Any other tips to add, feel free.