PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices

surfwalker
05-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm sure you noticed that gas prices are on the rise again, $58.63/barrel. Some stations by me are up 36 cents/gal from last month at this time. Will this affect your fishing at all at your spots (amount of trips?), if the prices go up much more. How about the boat people, less trips out? I know last year it was around $4/gal and this year we were spoiled early on, but, come on, there's less people driving (outta work/or just saving). Are the specs just making more money off us for nothing?

captnemo
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Are the specs just making more money off us for nothing?

I was under the impression they passed legislation curtailing oil speculation, I could be wrong. Whatever it is, I agree with you. I severely slowed down on boat trips last year because of the fuel costs. It was costing me over $100 in fuel to run a full day, so I started targeting the easy spots, points and rips, and if the fishing was bad, went home rather than making a run south or over to NY. It's my feeling that the large companies are in on this together. The price increases are frequently more than the increase on the spot market. They may not be actively colluding, but I feel they work together to raise prices, which they decrease slightly as we get closer to elections. Call me paranoid, but I don't see any other explanation for that.

bluesdude71
05-10-2009, 07:59 PM
There is no good explanation on the gas prices increasing. It is only based on the Greed of the major oil companies.

surfwalker
06-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Just in a bad mood after getting gas in the Deerslayer this morning. I hate paying for something that I paid less for a while back. bluesdude, I guess you're right about the greed, pretty dominant in this world. I just hate to lay out extra money, like maybe 50 or 60 bucks a month or more in the future. That's my pin money for another reel or blank. Sorry for the rant.

7deadlyplugs
06-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I hear what you are saying. When we were paying .50 less a gallon a few weeks ago. If you ask me it is probably the same oil they received at a lower price. The problem is we all let them get away with it. Maybe everyone should rally around and make one day a week no gas day. Then lets see how quickly they lower their prices.

stripercrazy
06-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I believe all the major oil companies are in this together and raise their prices whenever they can because they know the demand is inelastic.