PDA

View Full Version : Summer months

surfwalker
05-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Do you fish for the Striper the whole season or do you just fish the spring and fall runs, blowing off the summer months?

DarkSkies
05-10-2009, 12:41 PM
If I can afford it, I follow them up north a bit. Otherwise, I try to get some work done that I neglected, and fish the beach for sharks at night when things slow down. Not much, but at least it's action, right? ;)

nitestrikes
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I used to fish for fluke during the summer. I love catching them, it's a great way to enjoy yourself on the beach for a day. Now with the new regs, I might as well take up golf.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

bluesdude71
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I'll fish for anything, it's all good to me.

captnemo
05-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Surfwalker, having a boat increases your range and options, so I still fish for bass in the summer. Although, as you mention in another post, it ends up costing more with the fuel prices. Sometimes a trip will only yield bluefish. That's fishing.

vpass
05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
I usually stop fish till Sept. I may fish for Fluke a few times during the summer.

Dark, that sounds interesting, what kind of sharks do you get in Jersey cost. and is there alot of action.:drool:

hookedonbass
05-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I fish spring, summer and fall. Without it I'd go :kooky:

DarkSkies
05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I usually stop fish till Sept. I may fish for Fluke a few times during the summer.

Dark, that sounds interesting, what kind of sharks do you get in Jersey cost. and is there alot of action.:drool:

Doggies and some others, I accidentally catch and release them when looking for bigger bass or bluefish. July and Aug, up to 6' or so. Pm me then and we'll take some conventional sticks out there, some bloody bunker, and chum up the laughing demons. :D

vpass
05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Doggies and some others, I accidentally catch and release them when looking for bigger bass or bluefish. July and Aug, up to 6' or so. Pm me then and we'll take some conventional sticks out there, some bloody bunker, and chum up the laughing demons. :D

Sound Fun. I'm In.:thumbsup:

jimbob
05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
I surf fish for Stripers all season long. During the summer months I only fish night tides. In September I start fishing around the dawn hours again.

surfstix1963
05-12-2009, 05:43 AM
I like the incoming when the ocean water cools the bays and usually triggers the fish to turn on.Early am and pm are usually the best times.

albiealert
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I fish in the summer for bass, you can sometimes hit a schoolie or 2 on the right tide. I would go out anyway if I thought there weren't much fish around. I like that alone time because it helps me clear my thoughts.

plugcrazy
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
I fish in the summer for bass, you can sometimes hit a schoolie or 2 on the right tide. I would go out anyway if I thought there weren't much fish around. I like that alone time because it helps me clear my thoughts.

:clapping::clapping: Quote of the week! It is kind of depressing if you don't have a decent chance at a bass though. I fish for them on and off during the summer. For the spring everyone is keyed in on the ocean. I find as the bait builds in the bays and rivers, you will have bass start to hit in the back bays. Usually this starts around July-August, and if you try enough places you can pick up a bass. It's not that easy though and I'm not that good at it, just lucky sometimes.:D

albiealert
07-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Glad you liked my thoughts, plugcrazy. The way I look at it, a lot of people have all these issues, need medication, or to drown their troubles at the bar, or to go to some type of therapy. Fishing doesn't cost anything near the $200 an hour a therapist would chrge, or the $500 an hour a divorce attorney would charge. I can leave the house, having had a bad day at work, or had problems with the wife or the kids, go fishing for a few hours, and when I get home I am in a better state of mind. Whether I catch or not.:fishing:

surfwalker
07-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Glad you liked my thoughts, plugcrazy. The way I look at it, a lot of people have all these issues, need medication, or to drown their troubles at the bar, or to go to some type of therapy. Fishing doesn't cost anything near the $200 an hour a therapist would chrge, or the $500 an hour a divorce attorney would charge. I can leave the house, having had a bad day at work, or had problems with the wife or the kids, go fishing for a few hours, and when I get home I am in a better state of mind. Whether I catch or not.:fishing:

I guess for me it's the addiction/therapy thing, whatever ya wanna call it-I love the time at the wetline.
I never really answered my own question about summer. I will plug right through summer as if my odds were just as great as the productive months. I'll adjust my times/ tides in the dark, who am I kidding, I'll go no matter what. There was a few year stretch where I just couldn't pull a piece of seaweed from the water in the summer in the dark, nothing. Was sleep walking and after each cast I would check to see if I even had a plug on the end of the leader. But once the sun came up(full sun, July, water in the 70's, flat calm, air temp in the high 80's), the water would explode with small blues and it seemed that the Bass would be going after them. Just throwing a green/white Bomber was producing some 36" Bass, right at your feet, two and a half feet of water. Now, it wasn't constant, but almost once a week for the whole summer. The pattern followed for a few summers. Never could figure it out, didn't really care, Stripes were there. Haven't seen anything like that since then.

VSdreams
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I will plug right through summer as if my odds were just as great as the productive months. I'll adjust my times/ tides in the dark, who am I kidding, I'll go no matter what. There was a few year stretch where I just couldn't pull a piece of seaweed from the water in the summer in the dark, nothing. Was sleep walking and after each cast I would check to see if I even had a plug on the end of the leader.

:clapping::clapping: I don't know you guy, but you definitely deserve to catch bass, when they are biting. Fishing through thick and thin is kind of the way I was taught. Even though I don't have as many years as some of you guys here, I learned "go often, and go regularly". You never know when a bunch of new fish will be swimming by.:thumbsup:

clamchucker
08-07-2014, 04:21 PM
I take it easy in the summer. I am not as young as I used to be and have had some hospital visits recently. When I do fish I take the granchildren to the docks in the bay to fish for snappers.

J Barbosa
08-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I like to change it up and fish for different species keeps things interesting.

williehookem
07-28-2015, 09:46 PM
I like to take a break from them until Sept.

Monty
07-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Bass and Blues are my target whenever I go out.
May give my favorite summer Jersey area a shot this Sunday AM.
I get to fish 1x a week and want to do what I enjoy doing most those trips, learning while fishing for Bass and Blues in areas I like.
Never report chasing, no crowds.
Get out there and do my thing, try to find and catch a bass or blue on what I want to catch them on.
And find some dead stuff so I can beat storminsteve again in the yearly dead thing contest.:viking:

buckethead
07-29-2015, 08:43 AM
I guess for me it's the addiction/therapy thing, whatever ya wanna call it-I love the time at the wetline.

I agree and fishing first thing in the morning is good exercise for me. I occasionally switch it up with gulp. Some times do that for August then it's back to targeting bass.