PDA

View Full Version : Your best rod

CharlieTuna
05-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I have several great rods which I would never take out onto the rocks. Does your favorite ever take that trip?

finchaser
05-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Yes sir can always build another one:D

paumanok
05-17-2009, 11:13 AM
CHARLIE TUNA -- that's an interesting dilemma.

I've scampered over many a boulder strewn river in strong current in pursuit of trout with a favorite fly rod. I've acquired any number of deep cuts and nasty contusions protecting that rod from damage.

The end of this week, I'll be up in Rhode Island around the Charlestown/Westerly area chasing stripers. One spot, in particular, I'm looking to fish is a boulder strewn point that even dried out at low tide is slick as grease to tread. My first thought was to leave the fly rod in the car and use spinning gear. Last of the flood and first of the ebb means means wading wet; it'll be a challenge with any kind of gear. But . . .

FINCHASER -- I don't build my own rods; I do like your confidence and enthusiasm.

So, for me, gentlemen, a resounding yes.

We often think of our favorite gear as an extension of ourselves. A quality rod becomes like an extension of our arm. How can we leave a part of ourselves behind when in pursuit of such great expectations: 20, 30, 40 lb. striped bass?!

gjb1969
05-17-2009, 11:19 AM
i have two fav rod they are the ones i use all the time the back ups stay home so for me is a yes:HappyWave:

jimbob
05-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I always use my favorites. If they get damaged I have to get it replaced or repaired.

stripermania
05-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't take my fav out on the rocks but my sec. fav always makes the trip.

Monty
05-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I don't fish on "rocks". I do enough falling in the surf and getting to the fishing area. That said, what Paumanok said from fly fishing for trout, I did the same thing.. I would want the equipment that is the best that I have for what I am fishing. It inhances the experience, using what I enjoy fishing. Like he said, its an extension of the fisherman (he nailed. It for me).