PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest catch skipper joins coast guard to promote safety

surferman
05-22-2009, 04:34 PM
DEADLIEST CATCH SKIPPER JOINS COAST GUARD TO PROMOTE SAFETY

WASHINGTON, DC---Discovery Channel's Keith Colburn, captain of the F/V Wizard on cable's number one series DEADLIEST CATCH, is joining with the U.S. Coast Guard's Boating Safety Division this summer to promote life jacket wear and recreational boating safety on the nation's waterways. As official spokesperson for the Coast Guard's "Boat Responsibly" initiative, Colburn will be appearing in a series of Public Service Announcements as well as promotional activities across the country.

"We're extremely pleased to have Captain Colburn and the Discovery Channel lending their support to this important safety campaign," said Rear Admiral James A. Watson, U.S. Coast Guard Director of Prevention Policy. "Keith is an experienced and well-respected seaman who puts a premium on safety for his boat and crew. We look forward to working with him throughout the summer."
"In producing DEADLIEST CATCH, Discovery Channel works closely with the coast guard, seeing firsthand the critical assistance they provide fisherman throughout the crabbing season on the Bearing Sea. We are proud to see Keith take a leadership role in this important issue," said John Ford, President and General Manager, Discovery Channel.

The U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Division is asking all boat owners and operators to help reduce fatalities, injuries, and property damage by taking personal responsibility for their own safety and the safety of their passengers. The U. S. Coast Guard reminds all boaters to "Boat Responsibly!" For more information and tips on boating safety, go to www.USCGboating.org (http://www.USCGboating.org).

wish4fish
05-22-2009, 04:55 PM
love that show deadliest catch:fishing:

basshunter
05-23-2009, 07:42 AM
That show is wild. I don't know how they can stand all that cold and wetness. It good to see that one of them is promoting safety with the Coast Guard.

gjb1969
08-04-2009, 11:23 AM
crab legs :dribble::dribble:now on a show i saw there is another crab they got in the pot and the crew member seid they were out of season i would like to see those crabs not just snow kings opies but i guess they just go for the money crabs but the show is still cool but i would not do it no way in he!! my buddy wants to do and i told him he is nuts but i think i mite do it someday more power to him i will stay in nj if i feel like it go work on a party boat for a summer thats as far as i will go :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
G, I know that guy too, I think your friend could survive a season out there, if he could handle the cold. My brother did it for a few years, he said they made good money when the catches are good. He also told about a trip where he had to shovel out a holding tank full of dead crabs, and they made nothing for that trip. :burn: It's a tough life, the guys that can save the $$ do well.

Unfortunately I was told that a lot of them party hard, and the money is gone by the next trip, so it can be a vicious cycle for some. No matter what, I think those guys are half-crazy, and deserve some respect. You never know when a brother fisherman is going to go down with the boat. They're really livin on the edge out there. :thumbsup:

stripermania
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't know anyone who has ever done this but I think it is probably be one of the most terrible set of months anyone has to endure. Just the cold alone would do me in. Great show, but don't sign me up.