PDA

View Full Version : NY Fishing reports for June 2009

DarkSkies
05-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

7deadlyplugs you won the plug in the May random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

williehookem
06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Fished a NS location yesterday morning with bucktails and shads. The sky was a little overcast which I thought would be perfect for a few bass. Wishful thinking, I got the :skunk:

pescador29
06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I fished staten island yesterday night with bunker, we got 3 small fluke and we threw them back in the ocean. We got 2 nice bluefish and took them home.

nitestrikes
06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I fished the backside of FI this morning, one cocktail blue on a pencil.

DarkSkies
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Yesterday was the 2nd attempt in 2 days to fish Jamaica Bay. The day before too much stuff got in my way, and I didn't make it. Yesterday I set up a new kayak rack to replace the one that broke, and was set to make the trip. I was psyched!!

Fished 8pm-5am, guess I don't know how to make a short trip.

The first weirdness was when I was looking for a spot to start at. All the usual spots held no bait, guys said no bunker were seen for days. Puzzling for such a previously productive area, I was determined to fish it anyway.

2nd weirdness was when some guys I met when I was gearing up, came out 10minutes later to go home. I asked what was up, they said:"Too many flies, man!" :eek: So I geared up for a jungle trip, putting on a winter hat, camo jacket, and bathing in bug spray. Despite all that, the gnats and no-see-ums were relentless. There was no wind, and it reminded me of a Canadian fishing trip with all the black flies. The best thing to do is put it out of your mind, if you want to catch. So I did, even though they were eating my eyelids. :kooky:

8-10pm, fished my favorite spots from shore. Didn't take the yak off because the water seemed dead, and I planned to cover more ground on foot. After a lot of different presentations, I managed to raise 3 fish. Had one on for 3 secs, the others were swing and miss. Fish were not aggressive, which was unusual for JBay.

I saw some boats up close, and no one did anything at all in the usual area. I waded offshore about 200', and was disappointed when some boats came back to where I was, as there were no bunker in the main area. Another bad sign, but I kept fishin.

The lack of bunker was puzzling. They spawn there, where could they be. :don't know why: It was like a huge vacuuum cleaner (or a few greedy netters) came in the middle of the night and scooped them all up. Saw 2 bunker the whole time I was there.

10-2AM, I was frustrated, and decided to cover areas I hadn't hit before. By the 9th stop I found bunker, as the tide came in. My plan was to snag some and hit the ocean. All evidence I has so far weas that the area was dead, I knew fish in the ocean would appreciate any bloody bunker I could bring them.

These bunker were coming in in small pods, not like the huge pods I saw 3 weeks ago when I was last there. The exciting thing is that fish were under them and crashing the bait in the dark. I got psyched aggain and tried to reach them by wading out. The water where I set up was deeper, and tough to navigate.

Every time I decided to leave and go back to set up the kayak, they came closer, and the fish as well. It was like they were mocking me, I couldn't leave them. :2flip:

When the action built up to a frenzy nout in the channnel, I knew I had to chase after them in the yak. As I figured out the way they were moving, I moved ahead so I could launch and intercept them.

Unfortunately time for the 3rd weirdness, the spot I wanted to launch at was occupied by 2 crack addicts. :burn: I didn't feel safe launching and leaving my vehicle with them there, so I went on the hunt again driving around.

I found them 15 minutes later at 2:45 as the tide filled in. Fish were on them, and I had them to myself for 15 minutes. I snagged and dropped about 5 of them, nothing. I realized where I was had a bonanza of leafy seaweed on the bottom, so I figured the snag and drop was a waste. On to plugging, with not a touch.

Then at 3am, a commercial guy came in with the lights off to net. After he netted a few hundred, he was on his way out. In all fairness, he did it the right way, and didn't put the schools down.

3:30 the rec guys came in with a few boats, and put the fish down. The bunker were still there, but deeper, so I continued to snag a dozen, intended for the ocean.

4am it started thundering and lightning, and rain was coming down in sheets. However the storm was fast moving, and the rain was done after a few minutes each time. The 4th time it started again, there was a lot more lightning, and it was localized. Rain came harder with no letup, and I gave up at 5am to get back to Jersey.

Surfwalker, you talk about frustration? Last night I was frustrated, X10! :(

surfwalker
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
"Just the way it goes".

stripercrazy
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Jamaica Bay last night, incoming. Before it rained the bunker were being crushed. All bluefish up to some monsters 12+. No bass. Bunker chunks, the smaller the better. Dark, your report reads like a crime novel. You seem to have a habit of running into the most unusual characters, if that's what we can call them. :D Next time you're coming over, pm me ahead of time. The bunker move around a lot.

BassBuddah
06-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Great report ds I felt like I was there. I fished a ns location this morning, one small bass on bucktail with pork rind. Bigger fish have been coming in, put your time in guys.

DarkSkies
06-07-2009, 02:07 AM
I spent way too many hours fishin Jamaica bay this weekend. Waiting for the weather to clear, I met lots of interesting people. :kooky:
Don't want to clutter up this report with that, Ill put in the kayak reports. As for regular fishin, spent Fri night pluggin after the rain, a lot less bait around, no taps working all levels of the water column.

Today Sat I spent 6am - 5pm on the kayak.

Total catch:
3 small bluefish on Ace baits medic super spook, caught in a 30 minute flurry of activity on the change of the tide. They were spitting up spearing, lots of spearing around to make up for the diminishing bunker.
1 Jamaica Bay whitefish, first time ever for that. :upck:
Guess the bay ain't as clean as I thought. :laugh:

There are still bass being caught. My new Guyanese and Trinadadian friends ;) got some by stationary fishin from shore last night and tonight, 28-30". Using clams, it was a slow pick. Using bunker only produced sea robins for them. 10 of em were fishin, only 3 fish caught in 2 nights.

williehookem
06-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Fished Jones this morning, sunrise bite, beautiful weather, one small bass 25" on a white tsunami shad.

BassBuddah
06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Fished the back of Moses last night with bucktails and rubber, deeper water, :skunk:

stripercrazy
06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Fished the Long Beach area tonight after work, still weedy though it cleared up a little. A few small taps on a bucktail, one fish that came unbuttuned.

jimbob
06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I just got back from Martha's Vineyard. I had a pretty good week for Striper fishing I did not catch as many as usual, but I love fishing that Island. From Monday night to Sunday morning I caught 23 Bass. 16 of them were keepers between 28" and 34". I saw some cool Striper feeding activity, I was on a bar and a school of Bass were chasing Sand eels up onto the bar they would herd them into a bunch and individual fish would shoot out of the school, turn on their side and swallow mouthfuls of sand eels. I was like watching Wolves hunt on nature programs. I caught 4 sand Sharks on plugs. This is the second time this has happened to me. I found a 25 foot long Basking Shark. I had a Seal almost steal a Bass from me. Great trip, I'll do it again in October.

jimbob
06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Some more pics

surfwalker
06-09-2009, 06:27 AM
jimbob-Great pics, thanks

DarkSkies
06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I saw some cool Striper feeding activity, I was on a bar and a school of Bass were chasing Sand eels up onto the bar they would herd them into a bunch and individual fish would shoot out of the school, turn on their side and swallow mouthfuls of sand eels. I was like watching Wolves hunt on nature programs.

That sounds like a great thing to be able to watch, man. I've seen bass running through schools of rainfish with their mouths open wide, but never saw them working together like you described. Amazing behavior. The pics of the shark are amazing as well. Looks like Montauk up there, but with a little less rocks. Great pics and report, thanks for posting. :clapping:

No more side affects from the flu?

nitestrikes
06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Back of FI after work tonight. 3 bass to 31", clams. A little foggy but the bite was good.

blitzhunter
06-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I always wanted to fish the vineyard just never got the chance to get there yet. That must have been a great trip jimbob.

Those are some really incredible pics. Congrats on a successful trip!:clapping:

crosseyedbass
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I fished Long Beach last night. On clams I got 3 bass.:) Released them all.

BassBuddah
06-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Front side of Fire Island this AM, little cloudy but the water wasnt. 2 bass to 25", bucktail and pork rind. Jimbob those are great pics you took, sounds like the best vacation. Never caught a shark on a plug, that tells me there are more around than we think.

stripercrazy
06-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I hit the Shinnecock area before dark today, blue bonanza to 8lbs, metals and poppers, and one short bass.

pescador29
06-13-2009, 06:07 PM
fished the SI this afternoon with bunker, only one small blue where are all the bluefish and stripers?

jimbob
06-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I got a chance to get out this morning, I have been working like crazy to make up for my vacation. I went to Moriches this morning at dawn. I caught a Bluefish on a pencil popper in the ocean. then 5 Stripers and one Bluefish on a Zara in the bay. I also spent an hour on a north shore beach just after dark on Wednesday for no fish.

jimbob
06-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I just want to thank everyone for the feedback on the Martha's Vineyard report. It is a very good place to fish. I recomend trying the Derby they have every year for a month in the fall. The Island is fish crazy then.

nitestrikes
06-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I just want to thank everyone for the feedback on the Martha's Vineyard report. It is a very good place to fish. I recomend trying the Derby they have every year for a month in the fall. The Island is fish crazy then.

So you would recommend the fall as opposed to now, jimbob? I enjoyed your reports because I heard that Martha's Vineyard had declined in fishing over the years, but you can't always believe what you hear, fishermen tend to exaggerate just a little.;)

:skunk: I fished out front W of Jones this morning, hit some rocks with some shads. There was a bunch of weeds which made it difficult to fish without hooking them, maybe I'll try the inlet next time on the incoming.

jimbob
06-14-2009, 09:16 PM
[quote=nitestrikes;20176]So you would recommend the fall as opposed to now, jimbob? I enjoyed your reports because I heard that Martha's Vineyard had declined in fishing over the years, but you can't always believe what you hear, fishermen tend to exaggerate just a little.;)

The fishing has declined in recent years but there is more to fishing the Vineyard than catching fish yet there always seems to be fish around. I recommend fall because of the Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby, the whole Island caters to fishing and fishermen.

nitestrikes
06-16-2009, 03:08 PM
[quote=nitestrikes;20176]
The fishing has declined in recent years but there is more to fishing the Vineyard than catching fish yet there always seems to be fish around. I recommend fall because of the Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby, the whole Island caters to fishing and fishermen.

I agree, thanks for the advice JB.:thumbsup:

I fished the Jones area, west, this morning with fresh bunker. One bass 28", and one 43". Released the big one, kept the small one. Beautiful morning to be out.

jimbob
06-16-2009, 11:57 PM
I went to Moriches Bay this evening for dusk, I caught 3 Bass I could only catch 1 Bass on a plug then I might get a swirl or a hit but I could not catch another fish on it. as soon as I changed the plug I caught a fish. eventually they stopped hitting at all. I moved to another spot after dark I had a few hits I have to go to work so I called it a night around 10:30

DarkSkies
06-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I went to Moriches Bay this evening for dusk, I caught 3 Bass I could only catch 1 Bass on a plug then I might get a swirl or a hit but I could not catch another fish on it. as soon as I changed the plug I caught a fish. eventually they stopped hitting at all. I moved to another spot after dark I had a few hits I have to go to work so I called it a night around 10:30

Had that happen to me the other night, but only with bluefish. Had to work over an hour to get 5 bluefish, changing my plug each time I caught a fish. Maybe they get the "How-To.... fishing" magazines down there, too. ;)

BassBuddah
06-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Had that happen to me the other night, but only with bluefish. Had to work over an hour to get 5 bluefish, changing my plug each time I caught a fish. Maybe they get the "How-To.... fishing" magazines down there, too. ;)

I have had that happen to me a few times when you have a lot of small bait around. It's like they hit that plug because you provoked them to, or they think it's competition for their food. Then they realize it doesn't fit the profile of the other bait so they stop until the next plug comes along. Teaser time anyone?

jimbob
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I went to another Moriches Bay spot this morning around dawn. I raised 3 Bass and had one hooked for about a second, but I dropped it. There is a lot of small bait around, a teaser is a good idea. I might have to dig out the flyrod.:skunk:

jimbob
06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I got out again this morning, the winds were light out of the northeast, but the ocean was big so I went to the bay, there I caught 4 Striped Bass and one Bluefish. The Bass were between 22 and 24 inches. The Bluefish was about 2 pounds.

Monty
06-21-2009, 09:00 PM
jimbob,
Nice.
I always enjoy your pics and reports!!

nitestrikes
06-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Fantastic pics, jb! Fished the Jones area this morning, the beach wasn't that bad just a little windy. 2 bass 29 & 29 1/2" on clams, still swimming.

plugginpete
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Out in the ocean this morning, FI area, outgoing, 1 schoolie bass on bucktail and porkrind, 2 sea robins. Waves were sudsy, it was barely fishable. The tide was up a lot higher than it usually is.

nitestrikes
06-25-2009, 02:51 PM
West of Jones for the sunrise bite this am. Bass are getting a little bigger, one 24", one 34", rubber shad.

nitestrikes
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Jones area again this morning. Too many weeds, couldn't present to the fish well. Nothing on the shads, or anything else I threw.:skunk:

stripercrazy
06-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I plugged a NS spot this morning from 3-5am, 2 bass to 26" on a black bomber.

rockhopper
06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I fished a Fire Island beach area from 4 to 6 this morning, one bass on fresh clams. Bass was 27". Saw schools of bait being worked over by birds, but it was too far to figure it out, and they never came closer.

DarkSkies
06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
:drool:

Met up with Mick and Paumanok. Friends we met earlier worked all day for one or 2 dropped fish, but we were there to try, and try we did. Started working the outgoing in the late afternoon. There were birds working bait about 500' offshore. Bait was small, no fish breaking the surface, maybe small bass under them. However it was tough, even fly guys in boats drifting by them did not hook up.

Unfortunately they stayed too far out, but we tried anyway. As it got dark Will and Mick worked the fly rods, and Mick eventually switched over to a spinning rod and rubber and bucktails. Will continued to work the flys, switching to a sinking line, to no avail.

Around dusk I had one missed small bluefish on the pink Ace spook. I don't think he was that hungry, he came out of the water sideways and missed. I think it was an anger strike rather than one out of hunger, because that was it for the evening. Tried swimmers and buvktails into the night, nothing doing.

I got a little surprise when a wave washed something in. Thought it was a big log. I was busy fishin, so I moved my legs apart so it could pass through. I jumped a little as it started moving between my legs. :eek: It was a medium size skate, first time that ever happened. :laugh:

We didn't bring in any fish, though in the morning a guy got a 22# bluefish on a pencil. I would never turn down a 22# bluefish, must have had a head like a basketball. nice catch! :clapping:

We all had a great time, good times with good friends. :thumbsup:

Sunset:

vpass
06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Fished SI. from 5pm to 7:45pm outgoing. caught 25 small fluke on gulp minnows in green. biggiest about 14-15 inches. some were really small.