PDA

View Full Version : Frustration or that's just the way it goes?

surfwalker
05-31-2009, 07:59 PM
I enjoy/love my time surfcasting. But I have to admit that sometimes I get frustrated. Like, is it better to find the bait in mass quantities (e.g.-bunks, p-nuts, or any others) and have nothing on them or is it better to just not see any bait or predator at all? Seeing the bait gives you more hope than not seeing it, but the result is the same. Which makes you more frustrated, if it does at all?

Monty
05-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Frustrated... my opinions
Seeing bait and having nothing on it, no frustration, just part of fishing.
Not seeing any bait, and no fish,, again just part of fishing.
I always like to see bait in the area I am fishing, I really don't get frustrated about not catching fish.
Last year one day droped a few fish after very short hook-ups and then missed about 10 hits, a little frustrated at my inability to hook and land a fish.
Then in a short period I lost 3 decent fish, frustration led to no more barbless hooks.
Frustration, boats zooming by 100 yards or less past the area I am fishing when they could have been out another 200 yards or more and shown some consideration.
Like you said, I love just being out there, even the boats don't ruin the experience. When the fishing (hooking-up) gets difficult ( a few skunks in a row) I tend to be more determined, better planning, find somewhere to somehow hook-up, get off the schneid and then more hook-ups seem to happen.

storminsteve
05-31-2009, 10:37 PM
When the fishing (hooking-up) gets difficult ( a few skunks in a row) I tend to be more determined, better planning, find somewhere to somehow hook-up, get off the schneid and then more hook-ups seem to happen.

I consider myself an intermediate fisherman, so I try to hang out where people say the fish might be, and sometimes, thanks to you guys, I can kind of get a general idea for that. Getting better is my goal, and also finding examples where I can use the word "schneid". ;)To me that is true skill. If I can master that, the fishing will be almost too easy.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
06-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Seeing the bait gives you more hope than not seeing it, but the result is the same. Which makes you more frustrated, if it does at all?

Surfwalker, I would rather see bait when I'm out, but that depends on time of year as well. Qualifying that to talk about the normal bait you see in an area, that the fish might be feeding on. I try to gauge the size of the offering I'm throwin to "match that hatch". Sometimes I'm not successful, and it truly is frustrating.

Whatever frustrations I have, I try to look at them honestly and ask myself if I could have done better, or what would I do differently next time.

I'm not embarassed to lay it all out there in my reports. That's the thought process that goes through my head each time I fish. I don't mind sharing that. Even though I know others are way more advanced than that, I know it does help some.

And it would be almost impossible to reign supreme with outstanding catches all the time. Conditions change and we have to adapt with them. Sometimes we fail, and fail miserably. To me, that builds character, and teaches you to appreciate the nights when the fishin seems too easy, and you are getting them one after another. :wow:

For the most part, I like the concept of "working for the fish". However, when you talk about fish in the 40 and 50# class, many of those fish are available to the surfcaster either by using bait and targeting hungry fish after they spawn, using live bleeding bait to whip the big fish into a decision to slurp it up, or by mimicing the bait with a huge pencil popper.

So IMO going after big fish is like hunting for them, because that's what you're doing. You can hunt for them when the massive concentrations of bait draw them in and it's easier to present what they're eating. Or you can hunt for them by going where they like to hang out at night and trying to intersect their path with a chunk of meat, slithering eel, or some artificial that convinces them it's authentic enough to bite.

Tough choices, and if none of them works, makes for a frustrating night at times.

There is also the frustration of going to a place you know has produced time and time again in the past, and only finding "dead water". Sometimes that water is not completely dead, as there are usually some fish on the bottom of any choice spot.

The key question for me is:
How will I present to these fish, and what will I move past their noses that is most likely to get bit?

Sometimes we have these answers dialed in to produce an amazing bite for the night, other times we feel like the world's biggest loser. :laugh:

On another site I belong to, the guys like to say:
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the hydrant" That's fishin. :fishing:

williehookem
06-01-2009, 10:24 AM
On another site I belong to, the guys like to say:
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the hydrant" That's fishin. :fishing:

I like that, seems I have been the hydrant lately.:don't know why:

dogfish
06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't mind a little frustration. They say it is better to get pizzed off, than pizzed on, but into every life a little rain must fall. When the bass fishing slows down I hit some freshwater ponds for a recharge.

CharlieTuna
06-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I would rather see bait around. That way I get a sense that the odds are more in my favor. I also get frustrated when I realize fishing is not as good as it used to be. I remember those glory days, and how it was easier to put a catch together. What's the phrase that a lot of people use- that's why they call it "fishing", and not "catching"? ;)

gjb1969
06-01-2009, 10:30 PM
thats why its called fishing not catching sometimes its good and sometimes its bad so u just keep trying tite lines and good fishin to all:HappyWave:

clamchucker
06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Do you keep a log, surfwalker? I do, and it helps 90% of the time. However, I think what you are getting at is a change in patterns. I have seen that too. When that happens I put plan b, c or d into action. It pays to have a few different options and be willing to travel a bit. Some days I make the run all the way from LBI to Sandy Hook. I don't know how old you are, but in my case, it helps to be retired to cover ground like that. It is great to be able to do it on a weekday when there are mostly us old folks around. I enjoy your reports and your thought process. I hope you are not ready to hang up your waders yet.

surfwalker
06-02-2009, 07:25 AM
CC- I started documenting about 22 years ago. Like you my options are always open. I may have slowed down a little, but will never stop.

Happy Trails

albiealert
06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
SW, you seem like you have been fishing a long time, so you know the drill. I agree with your plight. It is always more encouraging when you feel you have a chance at catching fish, that is what keeps me coming back. To me, bait in the water = the possibility of catching. I'll play devil's advocate and ask you---what if you caught fish every single time you went out, and never had a slow day or night? Wouldn't you get bored? I know I would.;)

surfwalker
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
albie- I'd definetly be bored. The whole game to me is catching on what I want to throw, the deciet and hook up, the satisfaction. My frustrations are few and far between, but they do come sometimes. You hit it on the head- "the possibility of catching". Thanks for your post.

Happy Trails

Monty
06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Two great points that I feel the same about in those posts.
Its tougher catching one fish than a day you catch 20 fish.
And I feel so much more satisfaction catching fish on a metal lip swimmer than a pencil.

I'll play devil's advocate and ask you---what if you caught fish every single time you went out, and never had a slow day or night? Wouldn't you get bored? I know I would.;)

The whole game to me is catching on what I want to throw, the deciet and hook up, the satisfaction.

stripermania
06-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I think it is better to see bait than no bait. It adds to the excitement. Of course I like to catch fish but I just like being out there. So if I go home empty handed it is still ok with me.

7deadlyplugs
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I just like being out there as well. A lot of times I don't catch, that's the way it goes. This morning I had 10 minutes to get it together and catch fish, they were gone in 10, or maybe 15. Whatever it was ,it was quick. So I casted, caught a fish, released, and caught another one. It was great, it definitely made my day. Without that I was just casting and casting, like I usually do, with no result, or only cocktail blues.

stripercrazy
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I get frustrated a lot. The biggest things that add to that is when I want to fish and minor details have to be taken care of first. So you miss the bite, or most of the tide you were looking forward to fishing. The thing that keeps me going is remembering a time when things were perfect and everything lined up. That snapshot in my head helps me get through the slow periods. Also, when I'm throwing a plug or presentation I believe in, I expect to catch a fish on that plug, so my awareness is more intense.

jigfreak
02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Two great points that I feel the same about in those posts.
And I feel so much more satisfaction catching fish on a metal lip swimmer than a pencil.

What he said, because when you try several different spots and only come up with one fish, you know you worked for it!:thumbsup:

surfstix1963
02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
If your angry it just decreases your chances even more and you don't think straight so either go home or take a break because all the frustration goes from your head to your hands and then to your rod and plug and it all adds up to more frustration take the good w/ the bad the fish aren't always going to be there.I believe thats why they say its "fishing not catching.

finchaser
02-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I like that, seems I have been the hydrant lately.:don't know why:

Kinda of like sometimes your the bug and sometimes the windshield:D I personally catch more fish when I don't see an abundance of bait

surfstix1963
03-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Frustration is knowing you can't fish I can get over any other obstacles.:d

bluesdude71
04-25-2010, 07:24 AM

It is harder to catch fish when they are not stacked up, I agree with that.

Frustration is knowing you can't fish I can get over any other obstacles.:d

Sorry to hear that, hope it's not long before you can fish again.

dogfish
10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
If your angry it just decreases your chances even more and you don't think straight so either go home or take a break because all the frustration goes from your head to your hands and then to your rod and plug and it all adds up to more frustration take the good w/ the bad the fish aren't always going to be there.I believe thats why they say its "fishing not catching.

Solid advice.

porgy75
01-29-2015, 12:09 PM
What if you go out two nights in a row and catch a skunk. Do you guys just take a break or try somewhere else?