PDA

View Full Version : stripers declared unhealthy to eat

ledhead36
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Atlantic coast stripers declared unhealthy to eat
6/03/2009 10:40:00 AM (http://php.delawareonline.com/blog/allgreentome/2009/06/atlantic-coast-stripers-declared.html)

http://php.delawareonline.com/blog/allgreentome/uploaded_images/striperz-774914.jpg (http://php.delawareonline.com/blog/allgreentome/uploaded_images/striperz-774917.jpg)
By JEFF MONTGOMERY
The News Journal

Delaware and six other states today branded Atlantic coast striped bass -- a widely popular sportfish -- as an unhealthy food for pregnant women, those who might become pregnant and children under age 6.

The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control declaration continued a similar health advisory for bluefish. Both designations were prompted by detections of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and mercury in fish tissues.

Mercury, long a contaminant of concern in fish, can affect brain and nervous system development in fetuses, infants and children. PCBs can affect the endocrine system and brain development, and have been found to be carcinogenic in animal studies.

The advisory, echoed by states from New England and the Mid-Atlantic, marked the only change from the extensive fish consumption warnings that DNREC issued last year.

State officials already had recommended that high risk groups avoid striped bass from the Delaware River and Delaware Bay. Environmental and Division of Public Health officials also advised even residents outside high risk groups to eat striped bass from the bay, river or Atlantic ocean only twice a year.

The same agencies continued longstanding advice against anyone eating any fish caught in the Delaware River from the mouth of the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal north. Women and children also should generally avoid eating bluefish larger than 14 inches if taken from Delaware Bay or the Atlantic, with other groups limiting bluefish meals to once per year.

"There is a connection between what we do on the land and the health of the fish," DNREC Secretary Collin O'Mara said in a written statement. "Our goals are to clean up remaining sources of PCBs and other contaminants, accelerate improvement in the fish, and ultimately lift or relax some of these advisories. For now, however, the advisories are necessary to protect public health," O'Mara said.

Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey and Maryland issued similar advisories today.

DNREC and the Delaware River Basin Commission have worked closely to monitor sources of PCBs, once widely used as coolants in electric transformers and other industrial equipment. Several sites in Delaware, including Amtrak's heavy locomotive shops in Wilmington and industrial sites along the river, have been singled out as major sources of the pollutants.

surfwalker
06-04-2009, 07:30 AM
NEW JERSEY UPDATES ADVISORY FOR CONSUMING LARGE BLUEFISH

The Department of Environmental Protection today announced a new recommendation for consuming large bluefish, a popular species commonly caught in Atlantic Ocean waters.

In coordination with the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services and agencies in six other states, the DEP updated its fish consumption advisories and is recommending that the public consume no more than one meal every other month (six meals per year) of bluefish larger than 24 inches. Previously, fish consumption advisories for large bluefish recommended four meals per year for most people.

Bluefish contain polychlorinated biphenyls at levels which may pose a risk to
public health; the same health concern exists for another popular species,
striped bass. Long-term exposure to PCBs has been shown to cause cancer and a number of other serious health effects, including damage to the nervous system of developing fetuses, the immune system and the reproductive system.

For bluefish smaller than 24 inches and for striped bass, state officials
continue to recommend no more than one meal per month (12 meals a year) for most people. Also unchanged are the bluefish and striped bass consumption advisories for infants, children, pregnant women, nursing mothers and women of child-bearing age - a high-risk group that is advised to avoid eating any bluefish or striped bass caught in Atlantic coastal waters.

Officials in New Jersey and six other coastal states updated their fish
consumption advisories based on the results of a multi-state study, which
evaluated PCB levels in striped bass and bluefish from Maine to Georgia.
Completed in 2008, the study also showed that bluefish and striped bass are not good sources of beneficial fish oils. Different from other fish, these two
species have lower amounts of omega-3 fatty acids compared to the amount of PCBs they contain.

The other states -- Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland - also are issuing similar updates and instructing pregnant women, young children and other high-risk people to avoid eating striped bass and large bluefish. All others are advised to consume only moderate amounts of these fish.

Aggressive cleanup efforts and improved disposal practices have reduced PCB
contamination in the environment, and a continued decline in PCB levels in fish is anticipated. In the meantime, the public is encouraged to enjoy more frequent meals of other types of marine and freshwater species, such as flounder, weakfish and trout.

For more information, visit New Jersey's fish advisory Web site at
www.FishSmartEatSmartNJ.org.

eatonfish
06-06-2009, 11:43 AM
striper is one of my favorite fish to catch and eat. I do practice catch and release but when I think I have a nice healthy one I keep. I guess now theres not much question as to healthy or unhealthy. Its so sad to look out at the ocean and realize we've contaminated it ourselves. Shame, shame on the human race.
I know its not much but every time I am out I try to pick up plastic bags and such left on the beach. If every fisherman trys to clean up just a little everytime they go out, even if its just a bottle cap, things can only get better!

blitzhunter
06-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi eatonfish, Welcome to the site.:HappyWave: You are absolutely correct. We are the only ones to blame for the terrible contamination in our waters. The government should be doing more to help lessen the amount for the future. Unfortunately they are all about the dollar. Their pay comes first, the environment comes last.

jigfreak
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I know its not much but every time I am out I try to pick up plastic bags and such left on the beach. If every fisherman trys to clean up just a little everytime they go out, even if its just a bottle cap, things can only get better!

:thumbsup: If everyone thought like that we wouldn't have so many problems out there. I don't eat bass that much, but always cut out the belly meat. I'll take my chances.:)

plugcrazy
04-19-2012, 03:19 PM
2012 Advisory for NJ and NY
Pages 5 and 6 scare me. You can't believe everything you read, right?

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dsr/2012-advisory-report.pdf (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dsr/2012-advisory-report.pdf)