PDA

View Full Version : Stripers/blues/PCB

surfwalker
06-04-2009, 07:42 AM
So every few years they come out with the statements about PCB's, like they just found this out. The PCB problem has been around for decades due to factories using the rivers and ocean as their personal waste disposal dump(these companies should be made to lick the bottom of some of these rivers till clean). PCB's just don't disappear, they are there for good.

My question to you is- Does this effect your take home catch for consumption at all? Will your consumption of these species be less? Or does it even matter to you?

7deadlyplugs
06-04-2009, 09:47 AM
First I think that the two fish limit is too much anyway. I don't eat bass or blues that often. They always seem to be telling us that something is wrong with what ever we are consuming. This has been going on for years. You don't know what to believe or not to believe. As far as I am concerned this is not going to change my consumption of any fish. I wonder if the people who write it up follow their own recommendations.

surfstix1963
06-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Probably better than the meat we are eating who knows what they are doing to that>I'll take my chances with fish.

stripercrazy
06-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I like the pcb scare. I think realistic or not, it is the best chance for the long-term survival of the striped bass, as any less that are eaten will continue to spawn. I eat bass once in a while, so it doesn't matter much to me.

captnemo
02-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I have eaten a lot of striped bass. Also threw a lot back. I avoid the bellly meat on each fish. that is where it is most concentrated.

ledhead36
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
My question to you is- Does this effect your take home catch for consumption at all? Will your consumption of these species be less? Or does it even matter to you?

I fish the Raritan bay a lot. Beyond the pcbs they say the raritan is contaminated with heavy metals. I heard the same thing about the Hudson and Passaic Rivers. I agree with what the capt said. I never eat the belly meat. Too much risk. I eat fish about once a week when they are around. Never had a problem yet in 30 years. Does pay to be safe though