PDA

View Full Version : Holding the rod

hookedonbass
06-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I heard that holding the rod parallel to the water is better for setting the hook and catching fish than if you were to hold the rod up. I use both methods but wonder which technique is used more often?

DarkSkies
06-05-2009, 05:03 PM
For plugging, I try to set the hook sideways, or parallel, if that's what you're referring to. I was talking to a friend last night, and he was telling me how he missed some fish with pencil poppers.

My feeling is that as you are working the pencil, you are bringing it partly out of the water. Gravity being what it is, the hooks will have the points facing away from the water and on a bad angle for a good hookset.

So when I swing to set the hook, I swing to the side. If Im plugging with something other than a pencil, I automatically have the rod angled to the side. For a good hookset, sometimes I'll swing down and towards the water.

I find that when the water is warmer, the fish are more aggressive, and will almost swallow the plug. If that's the case, it matters less. But when the water is colder, fish are less aggressive, and sometimes that angle matters. At least it seems to work for me. :thumbsup:

7deadlyplugs
06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
So when I swing to set the hook, I swing to the side. If Im plugging with something other than a pencil, I automatically have the rod angled to the side. For a good hookset, sometimes I'll swing down and towards the water.

Good advice, thanks.

katiefishes
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I was taught to hold the rod to the side. I find it difficult to set the hook that way. However, when you fish with the ones who know it all you must abide by their wishes. Our main argument.:argue:

Rip-Plugger
06-06-2009, 07:59 AM
since am a huge plug man,when I am bringing it back,I point my tip in the direction the line is and I set straight up,,,most times.

R-P