PDA

View Full Version : New NJ DFW enforcement officers

clamchucker
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
State decommissions its team of unpaid deputy conservation officers
Sunday, February 22, 2009 BY BRIAN T. MURRAY

Star-Ledger Staff

For more than a century, they served as vital backup for New Jersey's small force of wildlife police officers.
Unpaid deputy conservation officers, armed and extensively trained, helped their full-time counterparts track down poachers illegally shooting deer, and black marketers trying to sell the fur, bones or body parts of bears or beaver.

http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.nj.com/xml/story/star_ledger/nn/nnj/35238092/StoryAd/NJONLINE/HelpHands01_NJ_RoS_Rect/041375.html/30613035303230323439333630656130?_RM_EMPTY_&
They investigated dumping in state forests and reports of people tearing up ecologically sensitive trails with all-terrain vehicles.
Rick Chiusolo, 47, a 20-year deputy from Glassboro, often sacrificed his vacations to help New Jersey's 55 full-time conservation officers protect the environment and enforce hunting and fishing regulations.

"I'd do at least 120 hours in a year, and some years when I was younger, easily more than 200 hours," he said.
Not any more. Chiusolo and other deputies are mothballing their uniforms, badges and sidearms. Initiated by state law in 1896, the state's deputy program has been decommissioned, a victim of budget shortfalls and concerns about insurance liability.
"It's been a difficult decision," said Tim Cussens, chief of the Bureau of Law Enforcement with the state Division of Fish and Wildlife. "I relied a great deal on my deputies when I was a field officer. This is not a popular decision."

The last patrol involving a deputy took place Jan. 31. A week ago, Cussens broke the news to the state Fish and Game Council.
The decision, he said, followed meetings by a 15-member panel of training officers, former officers, deputies, union representatives, state lawyers and division administrators.
The panel concluded that while the state spends more than $30,000 annually recruiting and training deputies, it would have to spend far more over the next five years to increase insurance coverage and training to protect the deputies and the state from potential lawsuits in the future.

"Unfortunately, the cost of doing it is just under $1 million," Cussens said.

The deputy program had been a starting point for many of the state's full-time officers. Dave Chanda, director of the state Division of Fish and Game, worked as a deputy years ago. But while the state boasted more than 100 deputies in the early 1990s, it had only 29 deputies on patrol last month.
http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.nj.com/xml/story/star_ledger/nn/nnj/845894723/StoryAd/NJONLINE/Debt01_NJ_RoS_Rect/g3973.html/30613035303230323439333630656130?_RM_EMPTY_&
The pressures of constant, annual training to address insurance concerns left only the most dedicated, who had spent as much as $2,000 of their own money during their volunteer careers to purchase uniforms, gear and guns to meet increasing standards.
"It was long in coming, a decision that took several years to make ... and we thought it was just necessary to do," said the division's deputy director, Lawrence Herrighty.
Liability concerns came to a head, authorities said, after the 2006 fatal shooting of a member of the Ramapough Lenape Indian Nation by a state park police officer during a violent confrontation in the forested hills of Bergen County. The shooting unfolded after several park officers pursued people they said were illegally riding all-terrain vehicles.

One park officer was indicted last year on a charge of reckless manslaughter, and a tribe member was indicted on a charge of beating a female park officer with her own baton. The criminal cases, as well as lawsuits, are pending.

"This probably wouldn't be an issue if not for the incident on Ramapo Mountain," Cussens told the Fish and Game Council.
Though no conservation officers or deputies were involved, the state concluded it could not properly protect the deputies from the possibility of litigation if an arrest turned violent.
Chiusolo disagreed with the conclusion, saying he believed deputies were immune from liability under the federal Volunteer Protection Act, which safeguards volunteers with nonprofit organizations from civil claims. State authorities, however, contend it does not cover "nontraditional" law enforcement officers like the deputies.
For now, New Jersey's 55 full-time conservation officers will patrol alone, and that's already posing complications. Bureau operating procedures, for instance, require that two officers be assigned to some tasks, such as night patrols. Deputies often helped fill out those two-man teams.

"Now, they're going to have to pay two full-time officers to patrol together," said Harley Simons, 51, a Pemberton resident who worked as a deputy for 17 years. "I don't know how they'll do it without deputies."

When he was out on patrol, Simons often brought along his dog, a field spaniel trained to track and to sniff out weapons and ammunition. The dog came in handy when people tried to hide guns in the woods, he said.

Chiusolo said the full-time force is already spread too thin as it tries to cover the entire state.
"Dumping will increase," he said. "And how can we acquire more Green Acres land when we don't have enough manpower to patrol what we already have?"
He said he worried, too, about the safety of officers on patrol alone. While the job is different than it was a century ago, when two New Jersey "game wardens" were murdered by poachers, officers still deal at times with armed and uncooperative people. In such situations, Chiusolo said, officers "need a second pair of eyes."
Beyond the safety issue, the deputies say they will miss doing a job they have come to love, one that allowed them to work in the outdoors, even if it left them less time to enjoy the kinds of activities -- hunting and fishing, for example -- that drew them to the job in the first place.

"What makes someone want to do it? That's hard to say," Simons said. "What makes a volunteer fireman do what he does? That can be dangerous work, too. I'm really going to miss it. I don't think it's fully sunk in. I'm having a real hard time letting go."

http://starledger.com

fishinmission78
02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
So for the lack of a million for better training, they're canning the program? The state has its priorities all screwed up. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

gjb1969
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
it is what it is :(:(

DarkSkies
06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I know this guy has been on the job for a while, but for the second time I was given info about him, and wanted to share with the fishing community that there is hope out there at stopping poachers.

Mayn guys complain to me privately that "What's the use?" when they see poachers, or "They (DFW) never do anything when I call", or "The people getting the tickets will never show up in court anyway".

I'm sorry people feel that way. Some of those above comments may be valid at times. I have also felt that way when I call to report something and it doesn't seem like it gets handled.

With the budget cuts in NJ, CO's are understaffed, and calls are given a priority based upon rules I (or you) aren't aware of. So sometimes it might seem useless. However, always thinking this is bad because it lets people doing the poaching also think that no one cares enough top even make the call, that it's no big deal.

Attitudes like that will get us nowhere.

The newer guy's name is Tracy. Some of you have heard about him elsewhere. I'm not putting up more info until I have permission. Maybe I can get him to come on here and talk a little about himself, his job, and his experiences. In the meantime, please know that there are a lot of dedicated CO's out there. Theyre trying to do their job the best they can.

In times of budget cuts, they need ourt help more than ever. We cant demand, and shouldn't expect, instant results each time we make a call. However, not calling hurts us all when people think they have a license to do it, that no one will have the balls to call it in.

I'm glad to hear Tracy is on the job, and diligently writing tickets every time he runs across a violator. :thumbsup:

Once again, the poaching hotline #s listed on this site:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=45

When you see a violation guys, document it as much as you can, specific details and descriptions, pictures if you can get away with it without personal risk, make the call. Otherwise, internet complaining is useless. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's some links to the NJDFW site and violations penalties:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/violation_info.htm

Violations:
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/svbs_9-04/9-04_index.htm

storminsteve
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
:thumbsup:Good deal Dark, thanks for putting up the links, I copied the numbers to my cell phone.

ledhead36
06-12-2009, 04:45 PM
It's always good to have those numbers on hand. Thanks Dark. I'll follow storminsteve's lead and put them in my cell.

DarkSkies
06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Had a great conversation with a DFW officer yesterday. Monday they were out in the Monmouth County area, 2 guys wrote up $1500 in violations, short fluke, porgies, blackfish, seabass, and one for littering!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

This is the protocol for calling, feel free to copy this post and put in your wallet or truck:

Daytime NJ poaching violations. Business hours 8-5pm:
(609) 748-2050

After Hours:
1-877-WARN-DEP
1-877-927-6337

If you make the call after hours, don't feel it's a waste. The call will be automatically routed to whoever is on duty at the moment. These guys work different shifts, so there is a good chance they can do something.

If NOT, document as carefully as you can, license plate, description and time of violation, and how these people entered and exited the fishing area. Physical description, as much detail as possible.

Remember you are asking these guys to come in after the fact, with information that may be hours old, and bust some people who may or may not be there by the time they arrive.

Let's give them as much help as we can guys.

Some of the NJ enforcement officers and their territories:

Tracy Jones & Brian Scott:
Pullman Ave N to Sandy Hook

Tom Swift:
Pullman Ave S to IBSP

Clinton Dravis:
IBSP and Ocean County areas

I have the personal cell #s of all these guys. Though I have seen them posted elsewhere, the officer I spoke with asked me not to post directly on the internet. They said anyone who is serious about providing good, descriptive intel, solid leads that will pan out with them writing citations, may call them on the private lines.

Anyone who is serious about helping can PM me, and I'll give ya the cell #s. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
06-17-2009, 10:13 AM