PDA

View Full Version : homemade fishing gadgets

hookset
06-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Just wonder what kind of homemade gadgets anyone has made to make fishing easier for them.

plugcrazy
06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I wear glasses and the ocean sprays really do a number on them. So I carry a papertowel soaked in windex.

I have also made my own sand spikes out of pvc piping. I bet a lot of guys here have done that.

voyager35
06-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Though I have never done this you can make your own fishing pole:

Step 1
Cut a bamboo pole to approximately 8 feet in length with your standard hand saw. You can often find bamboo poles at your local gardening centers, "big box" home improvement stores and some home store retailers. If you have problems finding this product in your area, there are a number of dealers online that will deliver to you for a small shipping fee.

Step 2
Cut a fishing line about the same length as the bamboo pole.

Step 3
Tie the line tightly to one end of the pole. If you want, drill a hole in the bamboo pole and feed the line through it before tying it off.

Step 4
Fasten a hook on the other end of the line and attach a cork about 12 to 24 inches up from it. Make sure that the distance between the hook and cork is short enough to keep the bait from dragging on the bottom of the lake, river or creek you plan on fishing in.

Step 5
Head off to your favorite fishing hole and begin casting.

DarkSkies
06-16-2009, 07:42 AM
A few months ago I met a guy who makes rod holders for fishing from the piers or railings, pretty cool:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3869

i bd fossil
06-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Voyager::: those were the first fishing rods that I used. And I'll go you one better. I still have and use on and off a rod my father made in '47- 8' bamboo pole, cord wrap grip and several ss boat guides. Have caught many fish on this rod, great 8n'bait also a good go-to pier rod.

captnemo
06-16-2009, 06:57 PM
I still have and use on and off a rod my father made in '47- 8' bamboo pole, cord wrap grip and several ss boat guides.

Sounds like a beaut from the past, I would love to see a pic of that if you have one, IBD.:thumbsup:

porgy75
06-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Voyager::: those were the first fishing rods that I used. And I'll go you one better. I still have and use on and off a rod my father made in '47- 8' bamboo pole, cord wrap grip and several ss boat guides. Have caught many fish on this rod, great 8n'bait also a good go-to pier rod.

My dad used to have a bambo pole he sold it at a garage sale, when I was younger and stupid. I did not know or understand the value of fishing.

surferman
03-28-2010, 06:25 PM
some pics for you guys, my buddy put it up in his garage.

1. first get some pressure treated 2x4 if you are worried about termites.

2. then box the bottom together and mount it on the side wall.

3. use a smaller piece of wood for the top to stabilize it. anchor that into the wall as well.

4. use the innsulating foam that you buy in HD for copper pipes. Put all that together on the top for the rods to slide into, and cut a small slit with a knife so you can slide them in and out.

surferman
03-28-2010, 06:36 PM
These are some examples of what a friend of mine did. He made rod holders with some thisk copper pieces laying around. PVC is cheaper, but he had these laying around and wanted something that would last a long time.

He used a spike at the bottom because where he fishes there are rocks and you can't bang the plastic in too far.

surfstix1963
03-29-2010, 06:07 AM
I made this hook sharpener out of 2 chain saw files. Just keep them in line & tape togethet very tight or if you know a welder have him tack weld the ends.You can also tape off sections and make smaller ones for carrying along with you and get a couple out of one set of files for smaller hooks I use a 5/32 file and larger hooks a 7/32.If you do cut them and weld them put some kind of mark on the end so you always know what direction to go in since a file only cuts one way.I also put some kind of lubricant on the files usually WD-40 because it is fishing friendly so you get a smooth nice point.

clamchucker
08-20-2010, 11:47 AM
That's a very simple but efffective hook sharpener, surfstix. Simple is best.

A fishing buddy used to make some jetty gaffs out of an old paint roller and handle extension. He would bend the roller into a semi-hook with pliers, then sharpen the end with a grinder.
Although a real gaff is more sturdy, his held fish up to 20 lbs. Not bad when you are going out in a hurry, or want to leave it in the back of your truck and not worry about someone stealing it.

bababooey
03-09-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't know if this qualifies, but before we had GPS, marker buoys and all that fancy stuff we used to carrry empty bleach bottles on the boat, tied to a heavy weight like a window sash. My grandfather would mark some spots in the bay as to dropoffs or holes. We would fish them for a few hours, sometimes anchoring and chumming, and get loads of weakfish, bluefish and small bass, and the occasional fluke.

Weakfish? Yes we used to catch them by the dozens, I know they are like an extinct species now. Those were the days. Like clamchucker said, simple is best.

surfstix1963
03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Sash weights and bleach bottles used them to mark the wrecks so you could drop back on your anchor and get right over the spot gotta be in it to win it wreck fishing.Even with GPS it is easier to drop back visually.

storminsteve
07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Some pretty amazing videos out there on youtube. This one shows you how to make lures out of beer caps. I'm thinking with the snapper blues and albacore and bonito they might work. Anyone ever try anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN8IbO8Kp4s&feature=related

storminsteve
08-24-2013, 11:34 AM
surferman like that rod rack. Your buddy seems to have a rod for every kind of fish!
surfstix like that hook sharpener. is there anything you do to keep it from rusting in the salt? Coating with some kind of oil perhaps?

storminsteve
08-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Here is a cool homemade rod rack I saw when out there fishing.

madcaster
08-31-2013, 01:37 PM
http://youtu.be/0XVzMn2S_So Surf stick

madcaster
08-31-2013, 01:38 PM
http://youtu.be/fp5XWCFOatY fishing rod carrier plus

madcaster
08-31-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqs2lTr0SXI&feature=share&list=TLie4bjTpcQ oM

albiealert
08-31-2013, 05:41 PM
What kind of wood are you using for that madcaster and how does it hold up in the water if you used it for a few hours like an afternoon of fishing. Nice design by the way.

madcaster
08-31-2013, 06:12 PM
It made of #2 pine and these are treated with 2 coats of marine spar varnish....on all my newer products like my surf stick is coated with marine epoxy, twice ...surf stick is made to go in the water .....I kept my personal carrier plus out side for over a year ..(I don't bait fish any more) still holding up fine. I have a lot more pic's on my web sight www.matthoff4designs.com (http://www.matthoff4designs.com) .or on Facebook.

madcaster
08-31-2013, 09:02 PM
17457this was a beast ....first class bait fishing ....this thing saw a lot of action

jigfreak
05-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Bump for a cool thread.