PDA

View Full Version : how to approach, snag, or cast net a bunker school

clamchucker
06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
I see there is a lot of hostility here towards guys in boats who may be inconsiderate. I have always been around boats and fishermen, and can't see a life without either one. In the past few years, specifically the last two, I have seen an influx of people who have no clue, buying boats. It seems I get stuck next to the new boater so much that I wonder if God is punishing me. I don't want to get into how many times I have seen someone crack or damage the gelcoat because they didn't have a handle on navigation, tides, or wind speed. Or the times someone has "accidentally" fished through our chum slick.

My point here is that I also fish the surf, and many times have seen inconsiderate surf guys ruin the fishing for someone who was there before them. I have seen guys mug a bait fisherman who was the only one into the big fish, the plug guys come and crowd him out. So it disturbs me to see so much negativity towards boaters in some of these threads lately. I have felt welcome here from you guys, and don't want to question whether I now feel unwelcome. Bottom line, I think all of us could be a little more considerate of each other.

Here are some guidelines from the latest NJAngler regarding bunker schools. If any of you other guys have any further guidelines, please talk about them. You can't reach the selfish people. I feel irritated being grouped with them, just as you surfcasters feel embarassed being grouped with the people who destroy and tresspass on property to get to the bunker blitzes. To me, these are common sense, I don't need to read or learn them. But apparently, some do. The guidelines......
["Courtesy goes a long way" - Let's start with one of the most important netting tools, the boat. The most common mistake, and the one that will get anglers in trouble with their fellow netters, is driving the boat into a school of popping bunker. Most anglers know not to drive into a school of gamefish breaking on top. The same is true of bunker, and courtesy goes a long way. Shutting off the engine and drifting into the school is better for all. ]

clamchucker
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I would add some more advice for the new boater in that while the sound of one engine may not deter feeding bass, the sound of hundreds of them can certainly put the bass deeper in the water. There are times when they are feeding on bunker from the bottom. You would not know they are there without your electronics. So please be careful, try to practice stealth, almost as if you are hunting an animal.

surfwalker
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
clamchucker, don't feel unwelcome, your posts are looked forward to and I consider you an unseen friend for the short time I have been a member here. You know the right way of doing things, either by boat or at the wetline, some people will learn this in time and some will just belong to the "I don't care attitude". You've hit it on the head when writing of Common Sense, which the inconsiderates lack. I don't consider you as part of the latter. We'll have to come up with a name for the inconsiderates (land or on the water) instead of classifying them as just boaters or surfcasters.

captnemo
06-16-2009, 07:12 PM
CC, what SW said, don't feel unwelcome. I have seen the same idiocy with new boaters. I realize people have to learn, but some of these new guys are new money. They have a few 100k lying around and decide they're bored and need a boat to go with the beach or lagoon house. A boat is like buying a new pair of shoes for them. It's not the money aspect that gets to me, it's their arrogance. More than once I have helpfully tried to give a new guy in a boat fishing advice or some helpful hints. 90% of the time it is appreciated. I have made a few new friends this way.

What gets me is the 10% of boat owners who you can't tell them anything. And sadly, some of them are bullies behind the wheel. I have seen some guys wake a kayak because the kayak guy was into fish first, they mugged him, and words were exchanged. I called that one in to the CG, just as I would call an incident with a surfcaster in. Anytime I see one person or group try to endanger anyone else, I call it in.

I prefer not to get involved personally, just offer advice when I can. But the arrogance level is rising every year. I don't see any chance of it getting any better.

To add to this thread, I would suggest to any boater out there to realize the sound of your boat and the commotion on top sometimes drives the bass down. If you can, cut your throttle way down as soon as you see active pods. You should know the current direction, and if it's outgoing or incoming, and which way the drift is. Keeping all that in mind, try to position yourself so you will not only intercept the school, but can drift and catch fish alongside of them, laterally. Obviously, you want to keep the shore and any rocks or hazards foremose in your mind as you do this.

It's really not that hard to work a school of feeding bass effectively, but it takes a few practice tries. The more effort you put into it, the more appreciation you will get from your fellow boaters AND surfcasters.

voyager35
06-16-2009, 07:18 PM
It's not good form to cast net an active pod that others are working, whether the others are on another boat or on shore. Get your livewell bait from a pod that is by itself, and then come and fish the pod where others are.

blitzhunter
06-16-2009, 08:35 PM
There are all kinds of arrogant, inconsiderate fisherman out there. Whether you are fighing in a boat, a kayak, on the surf or jetty, it all the same. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!