PDA

View Full Version : stripers

hookedonbass
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Whenever I read magazines on Saltwater fishing stripers seem to be the number one fish they talk about. Of course they but up a great fight and you can get some cows. I always find a great fight with blues as well. So my question is what about the other fish out there or have many saltwater anglers pushed them aside for the stripers?

Stripercoast1
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
In the North East, Stripers are and always have been the top of the heap when it comes to Salt Water fishing. They are accessable to virtually anyone that wets a line, require no truely specialized equipment (don't tell my wife, she thinks I need the Zee) and can be found when fishing from shore or small boat. Although blues outfight a same sized Striper, Bass get bigger, way bigger, and taste a heck of a lot better as well.

BassBuddah
06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Stripercoast nailed it. If sunfish, pike, or even bluefish reached 70 pounds in size, things might be different. I also think it has a lot to do with our fishing culture and history. Montauk and the famous New England hotspots might have something to do with it as well. Striped bass have been the fish of legend since fishing line and poles first came to be used by surfcasters. There is a rich legacy of fishing for the striped ones that doesn't exist for other categories of fish. Out of all the saltwater gamefish, IMO only cod comes close for popularity, accessibility, availibility, and rich history of fishing stories and legends.

jimbob
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
The Striped Bass is a majestic animal. Think back to the first time you caught a Striped Bass. I can remember seeing the silvery shape in the waves and the big broad tail comming out of the water, finally seeing the stripes.
You never know, that next bass may be the 78lb-9oz fish of everyones dreams.
There is a good book that describes catching that first Striper and what it does to people. It is called The Shining Tides by Win Brooks.

basshunter
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
The taste of stripers definitely, surpasses the taste of blues by a landslide. I fish mainly for the battle between man and beast. So anything that gives a great fight is ok with me!

surfwalker
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
The first time I saw a Striped bass was in 1958, only a kid then. A guy was walking off a jetty(now invisible due to beach replenishment), little past dusk, and had an old conventional set up and plugs, and was carrying a nice Bass (later to be tagged at 38lbs). My father being a Fluker, never giving me the chance to be exposed to a Bass. I ran over to this fella and asked him nine million questions about his catch, he took the time and answered them all. I recall that night over and over in my head and made up my mind that this is the fish I will seek. It has given me much enjoyment over the years and many a smile. It has been a lifelong addiction, I wouldn't have it any other way.