PDA

View Full Version : Can't stand those wind knots

crosseyedbass
06-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I can't stand them. Why do I always get wind knots? Is there away to prevent them? Went fishing in LI yesterday evening. I spent more time removing the wind knots than fishing. I used
30 lb braid.

finchaser
06-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Most wind knots are user error caused by not closing bail by hand and getting braid tight against the spool before reeling.

Second cause is using braid on old Penn and other reels that were not made for braid

Fireline is more user friendly then braid for older reels and for people starting out,same benifits as braid with out the wind knots

surfwalker
06-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Like finchaser says. I never use the handle to set the bail, it's set manually. I've used braid for a long time and in the beggining I had windknots with 20lb and the above mentioned reels, yes, very frustrating. Now I use 30lb or above and different reels and haven't had windknots in the past 8 years, no matter the wind or if I'm throwing 4" Rebels or 2oz. wood. Make sure after you cast that the line doesn't loop over the spool, set the bail and just give a little pull on the line. I have seen people with bailess reels get knots, but I think it's because they over cast and bounce the rod tip back once their lure hits the water, not a fluid motion. Keep at it, you'll get it, the routine will become natural.

surfwalker
06-21-2009, 09:29 AM
One other thing. When I spool up with braid I apply pressure while reeling it on, very tight.

Frankiesurf
06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Surfwalker has it nailed. Manually flipping the bail and giving the line a tug to seat it on the spool will become second nature.

Two things ; don't overspool braid you want an 1/8" to 1/4" of the edge of the spool showing, also on your last cast of the night and sometimes earlier cast something heavy and pinch the line on the retrieve to tighten up the line. This is especially key when you are throwing lighter plugs.

jimbob
06-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I used to get wind knots when I first started fishing power-pro. I used 30 pound test. I have always used manual pickups on my reels instead of bails. When I switched to 50 pound power-pro my problem with wind knots went away.

Monty
06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Used powerpro 30 lb and am usind Suffix 30 lb and do not get wind knots. Using manual bail (roller).
Are the wind knots happening with specific plugs? What reel are you using? Othes pointed out the important details. When I put line on its under tension, up to an 1/8" of full. First cast each trip is a short one lazy one, normally with a 2-3 oz plug. The reel I use I align the roller to a position where it is close to the rod and the spool is rotated so that it is out of the housing (no line slap in housing). .