PDA

View Full Version : Spring Results?

surfwalker
06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, how was the Spring Bassing for you? Contented/disappointed for the amount of times you were out? Did you get more keepers to shorts? Were the Bass clean? Doesn't matter what ya got 'em on- bait, plugs, snagged, boat or surf. Doesn't matter where your from. Just wondering(curious all the time). No spot naming.

jimbob
06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Spring was just ok. I did not get out as much as I would have liked, but I did not get any sustained bite. The most Stripers that I caught on one trip was 6. Usually I have quite a few days that I catch 10 to 20 on a trip, but not so far. The weather could have something to do with it. The water temperatures are about 66 degrees in the back bays and about 60 degrees in the ocean. maybe there are not as many bass around. I have some spots that I have not caught any Bass at all yet this year.

cowherder
06-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I only started fishing for them last year, so I would think my experience is not like you guys because I don't have years of catches to look back on. I try to chat as much as I can with the sharpies out there when fishing. I find that a few like to brag but if you get into an in-depth conversation with the guys who really know what they are doing, many have told me that their overall surf catches are off. Again, I don't know why, some say that's the way it is, some say the water is colder and we have had more rain. But they have said some of them are catching less, for what it's worth.

buckethead
06-22-2009, 11:05 PM
My spring was not that great. From what I gather the run seemed to be a little low in count. I know people who caught more than their fair share but not me. I was wondering if some are not spoiled by catching the cows. I am happy with any size.

surfstix1963
06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Spring was great until I got hurt tons of blooofish had 4 keeper bass in four consectutive mornings nothing giant all 35"-38" all on white ss poppers,can't fish now so I guess I will just keep tabs on whats going on with my buddies so if and when I am ready to hit it again I will be one step ahead.Just recently read The art of fishing with lures probably one of the best fishing books I have read hands down retrained my brain to think about all the simple things you put on the side which could increase your catch.Good learner for the newbies.

surfwalker
06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
jimbob- Like you, my trips were curtailed a little this year and I missed some decent days. I was pleased to see that my keeper ratio(all released) on plugs was a little better than previous years. Almost all the Bass caught looked strong, healthy and solid, always glad to see that. I was not crazy about all the E, ESE, SE winds this spring. I must commend you on your pictorial posts, they keep me in the loop on my missed trips, thanks again for them.

cowherder- I'm sure your doing OK. Observe and experiment, sometimes you are your own best teacher. As far as my catches, well, yes they have been off a little. But the areas that I mainly plug have been altered through mother nature- structure and currents have noticeably changed.

buckethead- I'm like you, happy to see any stripes.

surfstix1963- Hope you're healling quickly. Poppers, I can't get enough of 'em.

Monty
06-24-2009, 06:50 AM
My spring has been my best. Have not caught in quantity, but have gotten mostly one or two bass per outing (including my PB). The Bluefish count this year is way down. Have not fished in any crowds, have liiked the weather and have had a great time on the water.