PDA

View Full Version : cownose rays?

cowherder
06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
When do they usually show up? Any reports of them yet in North or South Jersey? Does anyone here target them for fun?:lookhappy:

buckethead
06-22-2009, 11:14 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words

http://images.suite101.com/724406_com_stingray_m.jpg (http://images.suite101.com/724405_com_stingray_m.jpg)

baitstealer
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
and what do you do if you hook one on your line? Thanks guys.

storminsteve
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Not yet but I heard they are getting them in South Jersey, cape may area.

gjb1969
06-13-2011, 09:18 PM
if its too big i cut my line not going to mess up my rod or reel

DarkSkies
05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Differences between Cow Nose and Clear Nose Rays....

Cownose
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=533&q=cownose+ray&gbv=2&oq=cowno&aq=0&aqi=g8&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.1.0.0l8.1518.2808.0.5635.5.5.0.0.0.0.137. 613.0j5.5.0.PAzRnOMh_h0

Clear nose
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1024&bih=533&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=clear+nose+ray&oq=clear+nose+ray&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_nf= (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1024&bih=533&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=clear+nose+ray&oq=clear+nose+ray&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.12...848321.871388.0.873349.7.7.0.0.0.0.1 68.925.0j7.7.0.gKqkbpv7so8)

porgy75
06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Not yet but I heard they are getting them in South Jersey, cape may area.

i know this is an older thread but was doing some searching of the forums. They are reporting them in sj. Has anyone seen or caught them in northern nj like ocean or monmouth counties yet, or is it too cold for them right now?

robmedina
06-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I have caught clear nose skates in Raritan bay in march. Not related to your question- I caught , what I swear is a stingray at the mouth of oyster creek. Everyone tells me it was a skate because stingrays does go in there, but that sucker had a long wispy tail did not look like the skates I have been catching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1sf8St7y7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1sf8St7y7I

at 2:40 you can see how big it was.

dogfish
06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Great clarity in that video what camera were you using, go pro?

robmedina
06-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Great clarity in that video what camera were you using, go pro?
YEs. This is the very first go pro wide. Horrible compared to their newer models but still works.

DarkSkies
06-12-2013, 03:15 AM
Nice video rob.

I got one the other day in moco. It was only a baby.

When there are one, there others. Guys fishing bait pay attention to your rods. I have seen some folks fishing 4 rods at a time. If you get a ray hitting your rod when you are distracted, you may regret it and lose the rod to King Neptune.....

I lecture you people, on these mistakes, because I have made many of the same ones in the past. :learn:

robmedina
06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Nice video rob.

Who you kidding, the video is boring LOL! I can take it. I used to be a professional photographer and put a lot more energy into my stuff. Now I am too lazy!

baitstealer
06-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Nice video rob.

I got one the other day in moco. It was only a baby.

When there are one, there others.

dark I was in monmouth beach last week before the storms and a guy got one on his line. He was fighting it for almost an hour. Eventually he had to cut it off as he was not making headway. The guys on the beach said it must of been over 50lbs from the way it fought and pulled line. You said yours was a baby you were lucky. If I might ask were you near monmouth beach when you caught yours? thanks

storminsteve
06-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Who you kidding, the video is boring LOL! I can take it. I used to be a professional photographer and put a lot more energy into my stuff. Now I am too lazy!

I thought it was pretty cool too rob but if you want we can bust your balls and tell you how lame it is if it will make you feel better.
We can be pretty brutal if you want us to take shots at you. Why don't you wait till you screw up really bad, post up and we will bust you about it for weeks. I'll put you on the ball busting schedule, right after that dead thing cad monty.
Now all you have to do is go out do something stupid, and post here. We'll take care of the rest. :ROFLMAODoes that work for you?:HappyWave:

fishinmission78
06-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Like steve said I liked the video. If you want criticism you might edit out the spots where there is no action so the video flows better. We don't really pick on folks unless you deserve it. There are all kinds of fishermen here and we can all learn from each other. Welcome.

fishinmission78
06-14-2013, 06:09 PM
and what do you do if you hook one on your line? Thanks guys.

Baitstealer if you have a big surf stick 10'6" to 11' (rated heavy or medium heavy) or more with a conventional reel you can winch them in. With big surf it becomes difficult as they like to make runs, take a lot of line, and then sit there with their wings fanning the bottom holding tight to it.
When I get them I try my best to winch them in. I let them make about 2 runs and then try to muscle them in and wont give it more than 15 minutes. If I have to fight them longer than that it just cuts into my fishing time and I bid them adios by cutting my line. Sucks cause you then have to respool. Start carrying an extra spook with you when these creatures are around.

DarkSkies
06-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Rob.... you don't want to invite these mooks to critique you....you should see the threads they have on here making fun of me with the swans and birds, or photoshop in my kayak......how I smell and sleep in port a pottys, and other grievous offenses against mankind.....:laugh:
I know they are just teasing and some of it is true, so I let it slide......but you have to have a thick skin if you ask them to criticize you around here...especially that gruff old basstid Finchaser.....:moon:
it's up to you,,,,just giving you some fair warning........:HappyWave:

Baitstealer.... yes I was a little south of that. :HappyWave:

robmedina
06-14-2013, 08:40 PM
nah it's cool. I am surprised no one made fun of me for cutting the line like a sissy! LOL! nah, it's all in good fun. I probably take more jabs at myself more than any one else. The video is boring. Like I said , I am too lazy in my old age to give a crap. But did you guys see the size of that sucker? 17lb fluro carbon on a light action rod. it was fun!

DarkSkies
06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
They were here as of last week...some large ones as well.....
If you are bait fishing....dead sticking.....
Please.....don't leave your rods unattended......you may end up regretting it.....:scared:

robmedina
06-11-2014, 03:21 PM
my buddy caught one last week and took it home to eat it. He said it taste like beef. He loved it.

barrys
06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
I remember years ago when we had a skate bury in the sand we would pull the line tight and strum it like a guitar string it seemed to make them come out.

storminsteve
06-11-2014, 07:53 PM
I remember years ago when we had a skate bury in the sand we would pull the line tight and strum it like a guitar string it seemed to make them come out.

Pretty cool technique. sounds like something the old salts would do. Who taught you to do that?

storminsteve
06-11-2014, 07:54 PM
my buddy caught one last week and took it home to eat it. He said it taste like beef. He loved it.

Any chance you could share the recipe and how to prepare it? I heard the same thing but have always been too chicken to try a cow nose. They look like devils!

robmedina
06-12-2014, 05:52 AM
Any chance you could share the recipe and how to prepare it? I heard the same thing but have always been too chicken to try a cow nose. They look like devils!
I will ask him next time I see him.

madcaster
06-23-2014, 10:45 AM
I saw a huge school of them in RB .....and a huge school of drums

bababooey
06-23-2014, 02:55 PM
They really are tackle busters and time wasters. You fish for fluke and lose drift time when you get hooked up to one. Wish somone would find a commercial use for them. Not too many predators for them out there. I think sharks eat them but that's about it.

surfrob
06-23-2014, 04:04 PM
saw two of those big bastages last week in the backbay, thankfully neither on the end of my line :d

fishinmission78
08-11-2014, 09:04 AM
I got one in island beach this morning. I was catching small snappers and livelining them out for fluke. Cownose ray came along and whomped my snapper. It was probably over 50 lbs. I saw it once and that was it. Ended up cutting the line. I haven't seen them before this week. Guess the water has been too cold for them. Be careful out there fellas.

hookset
07-01-2015, 09:39 AM
I haven't heard of one being caught yet. Even B&N has not reported any. Anyone else seeing them?

plugcrazy
06-20-2016, 12:26 AM
Not that I'm looking for them, but doesn't anyone think it's unusual that they haven't showed up ?

captnemo
06-20-2016, 09:10 PM
One of my friends who fishes out of Townsend's Inlet got one during the week. I agree they seem to be very late to show up this year. Thank the Lord

hookset
06-23-2016, 05:10 AM
A guy fishing bait next to me in moco lost a rod to a big ray the other day. Be careful folks.