PDA

View Full Version : is it the method?

hookset
06-25-2009, 12:05 AM
I spent last weekend fishing with a good buddy of mine. We went to moco. He caught a few stripers and I got :skunk:. Could it be a case where he was just in the right "spot" even though we were next to each other? He claims that is why he had success. I claim it is the difference between how we jig.

The fish go anywhere. The vibration and sound in the water make them bite.

Monty
06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I think it could be either. Technique is extremely important, finding fish (fishing in the area where fish are) just as important.
That said, I have fished beaches where bass are spread out and only a couple people were catching fish, solely based on the method of fishing they were using. Being in the correct water level is extremely important.

surfstix1963
06-25-2009, 10:25 AM
You need to have total faith in what you are throwing even if it is the same exact lure as your buddy he may have been fishing a different part of the water column he may have been reeling and pausing just a different retrieve than you,or possibly you were getting caught up in watching him catch and not paying attention to your lure you need to try different retrieves but pay 100% to your lure not his if your watching him you are not watching yours,plugging requires a strict attention of what is going on.Sometimes a rule of how to fish a particular plug doesn't work sometimes you need to think out of the box nothing is set in stone with fishing.

Pebbles
06-25-2009, 10:29 AM
My theory is if you are only a few feet away from the other guy it is not going to matter. It is all in the technique. I'm good at blues but my striper technique seems to suck!:don't know why:

surfstix1963
06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Stripers like a slower retrieve and they will follow that plug right up to your feet before they realize a meal is getting away then whack it if you see the fish come up behind the plug (v-wake) continue your retrieve if he goes to whack it and misses try stopping the plug for a second or 2 they are trying to whack it to get it stunned and take it from the head thats why the front trebel is usually in the mouth and the rear hook is in its side.

albiealert
06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
You need to have total faith in what you are throwing even if it is the same exact lure as your buddy .

So true surfstix, I think it is also the technique, as you mentioned. I was fishing bucktail and pork rind in the spring in a river. Next to me was an old timer using the same thing I was, same weight, roughly the same pork rind. He outfished me 6 to 1, and the fish he caught were bigger than mine too! :embarassed:

Monty
06-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Surfstix you nailed it, you have to have "Confidence"

You need to have total faith in what you are throwing even if it is the same exact lure as your buddy he may have been fishing a different part of the water column he may have been reeling and pausing just a different retrieve than you,or possibly you were getting caught up in watching him catch and not paying attention to your lure you need to try different retrieves but pay 100% to your lure not his if your watching him you are not watching yours,plugging requires a strict attention of what is going on.Sometimes a rule of how to fish a particular plug doesn't work sometimes you need to think out of the box nothing is set in stone with fishing.

jonthepain
06-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Surfstix you nailed it, you have to have "Confidence"

That's one reason why I usually only bring one plug with me when walking the beach.

finchaser
06-25-2009, 11:01 PM
I spent last weekend fishing with a good buddy of mine. We went to moco. He caught a few stripers and I got :skunk:. Could it be a case where he was just in the right "spot" even though we were next to each other? He claims that is why he had success. I claim it is the difference between how we jig.

The fish go anywhere. The vibration and sound in the water make them bite.

Pay attention it's the little things most over looked that enable 90% of the fish to be caught by 10% of the fisherman day in and day out. Been at this for 50 years and still observe and change as necessary when I'm being outfished.

clamchucker
02-23-2010, 08:14 PM
My theory is if you are only a few feet away from the other guy it is not going to matter. It is all in the technique. I'm good at blues but my striper technique seems to suck!:don't know why:

Pebbles you need to spend more fishing time with Dark, maybe?