PDA

View Full Version : "Intel" and phone contact rules and thoughts

DarkSkies
06-25-2009, 09:00 AM
This is one of those 800 lb gorilla in the room things.

Monty
06-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Easy for me (basically none). I don't carry a phone while fishing. If I hear (before going out) that there are fish in a certain area, I will consider fishing the area, but only if it is an area that does not draw a crowd. I pass general fishing information to an extremely limited amount of friends (can count on less than one hand).
I kinda look down on cell phone use while fishing in terms of notifying others. I figure if I am out there and into fish and someone else in the area starts getting into fish and calls others, he is basically screwing me.:burn:

stripermania
06-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Here is the secret of intel and phones:

If more than one person knows it is not a secret!

You might be telling one or two friends but he might have one or two "best buddies" as well. So of course the chain starts and the next thing you know your spot loaded with fish is now loaded with "best buddy" anglers.

Not me - I don't participate in intel.

DarkSkies
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Here is the secret of intel and phones:

If more than one person knows it is not a secret!

You might be telling one or two friends but he might have one or two "best buddies" as well. So of course the chain starts and the next thing you know your spot loaded with fish is now loaded with "best buddy" anglers.

Not me - I don't participate in intel.

Great point. Monty and Stripermania, I started this thread because a friend and I were talking about how he helped this guy. The guy hadn't caught a fish in 2 weeks. my friend knew that, and called him into some fish he was working one day. Soon as the guy gets ther and sees the fish, he picks up his cell and calls another friend.

My friend said "Put the damn phone down! I didn't call you here to get swarmed by guys and get crowded out, I was trying to help you break the skunk!" :beatin:

Joe and I developed some sources over the years, many of whom never use the internet, or post reports. They don't have time to be tackle shop heroes, they just wanna fish, and be left alone.

I couldn't understand why this guy wouldn't understand basic etiquette, so I thought I'd throw down some of the guidelines I follow.

To me, seems like common sense, why would you even need to post them up, so stupid. :don't know why:

But apparently there people out there who were not taught these basic things of respect and appreciation in the houses they grew up in. That's the only explanation I can think of.

DarkSkies
06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Some things Ive learned about sharing intel over the years. Feel free to post up some of yours:

*If a friend calls you down and he's into fish, respect the fact that he called ya. Don't blow it by picking up a phone. :beatin:If you call me and at the end of the conversation I bark at ya to not call anyone on your way down, don't take it personal, just respect it.

*If you're into fish and the spot is small, you're the only one there, feel free to call the world down there, if that's what ya want. But if there are a few other guys who were there at the same time you were, have some respect for THOSE guys before you call people down. Maybe ask yourself if other people get there, will it be a nightmare to fish? I carry a phone for family emergencies, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the one to crowd up a jetty.

* Develop your own intel.
As I said, I share intel with a trusted group of friends, and they trust me. But if I want something, on the way down to fishin I will hit a few spots, or maybe 10, or 15. :laugh: I want to see for myself what's happening, and where I can come back to if things don't work out with Plan A.

*Bring something to the table.
I don't mind helping a new guy, especially if I see he's tryin his best, and it just ain't workin for him. Every time I make a phone call I try to have a piece of the puzzle that the person I'm talking to can use. I did my homework, drove the miles, and want to provide something of value for any intel I might receive. Makes the people you're talking to understand that you're not a selfish user.

I have a rule of thumb with helping a new guy. I try my best, but help them to develop their skills so they know what to look for. As they call me, I ask them what they noticed about the area they are in. If they call me 3 times, looking for intel only, and can't bring something back in return, sometimes I get a little "busy" when the next call from them comes in. ;)

So - if this has happened to anyone out there, or anyone who recognizes themselves on either side of these intel transactions, let's hear your opinion.

It's hard to believe, but there are some guys out there that need to see and read this stuff. :D

jonthepain
06-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I never volunteer intel.

When asked for intel, I lie.

That's how the oldtimers taught me, back before cell phones and the internet. If they were right then, (and they were,) they are stil right but squared.

finchaser
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Intel use to be fine but in this day of the cell phone and all the tackle store hero's and there ego's no way

Years ago people respected a persons information or spot and would never tell or bring a friend to a spot with out asking . In todays era you go back the next night and can't fish there.

I'm still willing to help anyone anytime,within limits until trust is earned.

storminsteve
06-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Intel use to be fine but in this day of the cell phone and all the tackle store hero's and there ego's no way

Years ago people respected a persons information or spot and would never tell or bring a friend to a spot with out asking . In todays era you go back the next night and can't fish there.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:You guys are right. If a "friend" pulled this with me, he wouldn't be a friend anymore, and he might have some fish guts mysteriously appear in the back of his truck in a hidden spot one morning.:D

mick2360
06-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I live 2.5 hours from the salt, so I may get down once a week, sometimes twice if i am lucky. I have maybe two friends that I would put onto information and one of them is usually with me...sometimes catching the fish while I watch. :embarassed:

Foe me this is a matter of courtesy and common sense. If another man has taken the time and put in the effort to develop solid intel, I am honored to be included into a phone call. If it is a "Get your *** down here!!!!" call, I will be sure to return it.

Last year I was in Montauk for four days. Nothing was happening except a lot of parties in the parking lot and around the 4 wheelers. I split for the sand beach and got into an all day blitz. It was the kind of fishing we all dream about on a huge flat beach. Eventually, the place filled up. I know I didn't make any calls but it is a cautionary tale; if a huge place like that can crowd up, I'd have to think twice about starting the phone chain.

Like I said, there are two people I will call, both regulars here. And neither of them would ever pass it on. Food for thought. :HappyWave: