PDA

View Full Version : Choice of methods of catching

surfwalker
06-27-2009, 05:40 PM
We all enjoy catching Bass, but if there is one specific way that you really enjoy hooking up with the Bass more than another, what would you prefer-

-Clams/Bunker chunks/worms, etc.
-Live lining Bunker/eels, etc.
-Poppers pencils/polaris
-Other plugs
-Flys
-Don't care, just let me catch
-Hand grenade-just pick up what floats to the top

For me it's a toss up between live lining and poppers(sweaty palms and smiles).
If I left out any of your favorite ways of hooking up, please add.

Monty
06-27-2009, 07:10 PM
My favorite would be on a metal lip swimmer. Tricking a bass into slamming wood gives me a rush. Second would be the pencil popper. Seeing the explosion on wood equals instant adrenalin rush.

Rip-Plugger
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll take a plug any night on top or under.
nothing like getting slammed on wood!

R-P

finchaser
06-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Plugs or jig head with rip tide mullet tail

DarkSkies
06-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I like artificial presentations as a first choice.

To me there's nothing more addictive than catching a fish on a piece of wood, plastic or rubber, or teaser that youre working to mimic a wounded or swimming baitfish. I'll use bait when that's the only way.

Sometimes I'm a bit stubborn about this, wait for the guys fishin bait to catch and stubbornly plug or jig till that happens, then switch over. I'm so addicted to that strike on the artificial that I would rather make it work that way, and will work all levels of the water column before I decide to use bait.

On the other hand, there's no elitism about bait, some of the biggest fish are caught with gobs of meat, live bunker, or eel on the bottom. That's just the way it is. If you want a fish that size, ya better be prepared to lob out the livie. :thumbsup:

surfwalker
06-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Dark, I agree about the live bait and bigger sizes. I'm not sure but I think in Nov. of '82 a fella got a 69lb Bass on a plug, biggest one I heard of on an artificial. I'm sure there are others unmentioned, but far and few between in that category on arty's.

JakeF
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
... biggest one I heard of on an artificial....

The world record was taken on a plug. :thumbsup:

Metal lipped swimmers would be my top choice, fished slow on the surface. If there is a good surface bite and I need extra casting distance, a Polaris style popper is hard to beat. Swift current calls for darters & jigs.

I'd much rather hunt for my fish with artificials than throw a chuck of meat and hope one swims by, and can be a bit stubborn in that regard (as DS can attest to). :HappyWave:

surfwalker
06-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Forgot all about that one

Stripercoast1
06-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Without a pretentious holier than though attitude portrayed;

I use only plugs. 95% my own making. The large requires meat thought is not even close to true. 80 to 90% of all the fish over 40 lbs I have seen were on plugs. All but 5 of my fish over 50 were on plugs, of those 5, 4 were on Eels, 1 on live bunker. All my personal best fish were on Metal lips.

Wood is good.

jimbob
07-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Poppers and pencils, I love the explosive strikes.

surferman
02-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Poppers and pencils, I love the explosive strikes.

I love poppers above other artificials. Seeing the fish explode on top is something I never get tired of. i found this video of John Skinner catching barracuda this way. It is full of excitement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHl3kB9uIg&list=UU7dW0u-2HauRLHd8y1zUMUQ&index=1

nitestrikes
02-09-2013, 04:09 PM
All my personal best fish were on Metal lips.

Wood is good.

Mine too. Something about those big pieces of wood in the dead of night calls big fish to them.

Monty
02-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Seeing the fish explode on top is something I never get tired of.
Me too.
I get an adrenalin rush.