PDA

View Full Version : Tica rod review

Sherman
04-17-2008, 02:31 AM
I had a nice 10' Tica, the eyes broke and then the blank broke twice surf fishing.
Others say the same thing:(
Daiwa eliminator i had many years ago was indestructible, as well as the 9' m-h ugly stick.

ledhead36
04-17-2008, 05:42 AM
I agree about the tica, your review is right on. Think they are a decent rod for the $$ if you're just playing around with schoolie bass and some small bluefish. The second you start getting into fish with shoulders, you run the risk of snapping them. http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

As for uglystik, they're not always indestructible. If you match an ugly stik with braid, toss in a couple 15-20lb bluefish, you could break that rod. Great replacement policy, tho. :thumbsup:

voyager35
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I have had a Tica Dolphin 9footer for 2 years now. I think it's a great value for a lower end rod. It says 1-3 oz, but the most I usually throw with it is 2 oz. Gets my vote.:thumbsup: I have heard some complaints from some others about the guides, though.

storminsteve
11-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I have a tica dolphin ueha I think? It seems to be a good all around rod. I don't beat the crap out of it, but for the most part it holds up. Biggest bluefish I ever caught on it was 15lbs, biggest bass close to that size, takes a licking and still keeps on ticking.:D

vpass
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I have 2 tica rods 9 ft. I think they are great for the money. I'm replacing my guides on my first rod and it about 4 yrs old. it seen alot of big bass to the mid 20 pound range and held up fine. I picked both rods up for around 80 dollars.

surfstix1963
12-12-2008, 03:57 AM
Can't speak for Tica but I have had 5 ugly stik custom rods and all have snapped it would be a great rod if it didn't break all the time.:eek:They keep sending new ones but I think if something happens to the last one they just sent me I'm done.I will go get a 10 ft. lami or St. Croix my 11' lami never broke I guess you get what you pay for.:don't know why:

nitestrikes
12-12-2008, 06:30 PM
surfstix, I agree with you, it's not too hard to break an ugly stik. They have a great promo and people believing in the hype however. ;)

fatboy dan - notice they don't show repeated dunkings in salt water, and what the moisture will to the the 2 piece :rolleyes:
qWtxlSsr6RI

Love this one, you're NOT going fishing today!!!!! :ROFLMAO:
hT1l7J9X5XA

surfstix1963
12-15-2008, 04:30 AM
The new custom surf is the one that keeps breaking I do have an old ugly stik that is problem free but that one is probably 15 yrs. old but after all the problems I am done with them.Don't care what the big guy says.

7deadlyplugs
12-15-2008, 10:46 AM
fatboy dan - notice they don't show repeated dunkings in salt water, and what the moisture will to the the 2 piece :rolleyes:
qWtxlSsr6RI

That's why people believe the hype, I don't think uglystik thought about daily surf use and wetting it over and over.

I like the tica. Mine's an 8', great schoolie rod.

jigisup
12-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Snapped two 8 ft tica surf rods this year. Did it right as the cast was at my shoulder coming over. Mid rod both times using ava 27s. Have a 10 footer that I'm very happy with. If the tica breaks again I'm going ugly stik.

Rip-Plugger
12-18-2008, 06:26 PM
damn,the words about these rods makes me wince.
I just ordered one in winch style rating is 2-6 but it feels more like it may be more like 1.5-4.
well,I guess I'll have to see.
I'll give it a chance and if it throws a rod,I'm going to buy another shimano scimitar in Xtra-heavy @ 1-3.
I throw 4 oz wood with them and lay into it too.

thanks folks
R-P

gjb1969
01-01-2009, 11:49 PM
if u guys want a rod at a good price and holds up try d blue i have three i have the classic rods they have other rod lines that cost more when i got the first rod i was sure it would break i was wrong i like it so much i got rid of my tsunami i have two 10 ft and a 9 the lady who u will deal with is very nice she will try to help if there is problem give it a look tite lines and good fishin:fishing: