PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for July 1-15, 2009

DarkSkies
07-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Chas 57, you won the free plug for the May random drawing! PM or e-mail me and let me know where you want it sent.

DarkSkies
07-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Mike O you won the plug in the June random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

chas527
07-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Chas 57, you won the free plug for the May random drawing! PM or e-mail me and let me know where you want it sent.

Hi:

This is Chas527. Just checking to make sure that there is a Chas57 Thanks.

surfwalker
07-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Been down a few times-nothing significant to report-lousy winds.
Today- 3am-9:30am. Winds-W/WSW/WNW-5-7mph. Water- still a little off color with small breakers at your feet, calm beyond, warm like used toilet water. Dark-not a tap with anything and everything thrown. First light brought the Dolphins, in very close. Two rises on pencil. Sunup-1 small blue on pencil. Various teasers produced nothing. Fluke were not even around for the walk back. Osprey came by like clockwork, he's still looking as I walked off. No Stripes.

chas527
07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
fished s.h. this morning 2 blues on bunker and a couple of sea robbons on clam. looks like the stripers are gone.

chas527
07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi:

This is Chas527. Just checking to make sure that there is a Chas57 Thanks.

thanks

Monty
07-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Bay side this morning from 4:30 to 9:30. Lots of Blues between 25" and 35" on plugs. Great time.
Unreal the inconsiderate boaters, worst that I have ever seen. Was great that the blues had me forget about the boats untill they would come into the area I was fishing. They would leave quickly without hooking up. I hate boaters, the majority are inconsiderate, I have never seen so many boats so close to shore motoring to go to a fishing site with absolutly no concern for people fishing from shore (I was the only one) (between 5:00 am and 6:30 am). Are they that stupid that they just do not think that people fish fro shore and that they are screwing up the fishing by being 200 feet from the shore??? Oh well, still had a great time.

DarkSkies
07-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I have never seen so many boats so close to shore motoring to go to a fishing site with absolutly no concern for people fishing from shore (I was the only one) (between 5:00 am and 6:30 am). Are they that stupid that they just do not think that people fish fro shore and that they are screwing up the fishing by being 200 feet from the shore??? Oh well, still had a great time.

That's one of the thngs that seems to get worse as the summer passes, Monty. Some people don't get their boats wet until July 4, and then it seems to build progressively until Labor Day.

I don't mind sharing water with boats, but some people don't know what it is to share. :don't know why: Just because there is no wake zone doesn't meet it's cool to hit the inshore channels at 50mph when there are 10 people fishing the sand 150 feet away from you.

I'm still debating on when and where I might fish this weekend. Seems like anywhere you go there will be some company, even at 4am. Might just decide to fish some of the inland tidal rivers where there is not a lot of boat or shore access.

wtg on the bluefish, a 35' bluefish is a worthy opponent, great fight! :clapping:

LennyD
07-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Lots of Blues between 25" and 35" on plugs. Great time.

Thanx for the report Monty!
I have not been in the bay since early may, but its good to know the blues are still around.
Good job!

storminsteve
07-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Nice job on the bluefish Monty! I fished Sandy Hook between 5-6 this morning, 2 small bluefish on a diamond jig with green tail. I got out of there quick as I didn't want to put up with the extra people. It was a quiet surf, not much signs of activity. Hey it was good to at least have something hit the line, bluefish are exciting. :wheeeee:

clamchucker
07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I fished Ibsp this morning with a 1/2 oz bucktail and a gulp shad as a teaser. 4 short fluke in the first hour, and 2 sea robins. The fluke are hungry, folks, though not many of them are keepers. Monty it's nice to see that you are getting into some bigger bluefish. We had a nice window around memorial day, and haven't had many since. I would be happy to have consistent action with bluefish for the summer. I think they were spawning offshore last week, and in the next few weeks we might see some more action as they finish up, or at best some end of day action. Happy 4th of July to Dark and all the anglers here who make it worthwhile to check in. I wish you and your families a safe holiday.

cowherder
07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I went to Sandy Hook yesterday, got a 29" bluefish on a crocodile spoon right before dark. It was a nice fight. A few other hits on the spoon but no hookups.

captnemo
07-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Seabass were the agenda yesterday. We started out drifting for fluke, managed 2 keepers out of 34 fish using bucktails and gulp shrimp, and squid strips/killies with gulp teasers. We continued out to some inshore wrecks, and nailed 18 keepers out of about 40 caught. Nice and plump, and the seas were beautiful. except for in the end when the wind went against us.

chas527
07-07-2009, 02:03 PM
fished s. h this morning sea robbins and small fluke. but flys were mean could not get them to stop biteing.

amboyangler
07-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Went jigging out back last night to see what I could come across. Tried out these Bass Assassin Plastics in White With a Pink Tail..... Got 3 Micro Fluke right away... I then switched up to Gulp Pogy in Nuclear Chicken Color... (Basically a chartreuse belly with a red back)... I'm working it with a 3/8 oz jig head... Not bouncing the bottom but swimming it in deeper water... Nothing hits but all of a sudden when I stop moving it something comes and pulverizes it. I'm fighting it for a little bit and then it just spits out the hook. Not sure what it was but I felt a couple of nasty head shakes... Not like a fluke though.... I must admit, jigging at night in the summer with light tackle is pretty darn fun. I think this will be what I will stick to until the Fall Run comes by.

vpass
07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Amboy, It addicting. I can't wait for the weakies to move in, I hope. Let keep our fingers crossed.

c4charlie
07-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Fished a bunch of spots on the outside mainly off the rockpiles from 10pm-5am with not one fish to show. Used clams and calicos for the majority of the night. Plenty of skates and dog fish, could not get a striper. It was a really nice night.

Interesting change in winds, lighting storms to the north and little to zero cloud coverage on the full moon which I don't like.

I have been doing a heck of a lot of freshwater fishing lately. Little guys have been having a good time at RV. Catching a ton of fish each time out. Been going like 3 times or so a week. I really enjoy watching them fight 12" sunfish, smb, lmb that like to dance on the water, and rock bass. Not too many rainbows yet. Bought a second trolling motor battery this weekend so that is going to open me up to a bunch of the trolling motor only lakes. Hopefully will get out to Merrill Creek this weekend where I can explore brand new water. If you have any MC tips, let me know.

DarkSkies
07-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Amboy, It addicting. I can't wait for the weakies to move in, I hope. Let keep our fingers crossed.

must......resist.....not....ready.....to....fluke. ...yet :scared:

Just kiddin guys, the mark of a good fisherman is the ability to adapt to change. You guys have done that, I resist it sometimes. Your path is the better, and saner, one. I'll come around, one of these days....;)

DarkSkies
07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Spent last night like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football again, believing that a remote hint of a decent bass was possible, or even probable, but it was not to be.

I know some of my friends are hooking up, eff ya's all :2flip:, God Bless that you're able to hook up with some of the few remaining bass, and thanks for the intel. I know where I can get one almost any night if I want to fish vertically, but haven't done it yet.

Started out at a place with current. Last night was a Googan's nightmare. All the Googan mistakes one could make, I made. First forgot my googan bucket. :beatin:Don't really need it but my tackle bag is falling apart and haven't decided which new one I can buy and beat up for the next few years. So when I add bait fishin to the mix, gotta bring the googan bucket.

But I did make it to the water on time, 15 minutes before sunset. Worked artificials, water was too calm for my liking, no results.

Set up with 2 clam rods. After 20 minutes of the tide going out, got a half-hearted hit on the pole I wasn't holding. No hookups, decided to move in search of better water.

Because of the full moon, I noticed the tide started moving 15 minutes into the slack, pretty cool. Wind started NE but died to a dead calm, not good for where I was.

Hit some more spots, then eventually met up with a friend. I think we each had a half-dozen spots visited before we met up, no real results except for one tap on a top water swimmer in another place I visited.

Had some line trouble, more googanism! Because of the full moon, I brilliantly :rolleyes: decided to downsize to a lighter leader, teaser rig, about 15# test. As I was throwin that out, lost one of my prized Rip plugger metal lip swimmers.:burn:

Retied, had some more trouble, and got a little mad at myself.

As I was looking down to the ground, muttering like a demented old man:argue: I saw the mother lode of small crabs.

Seems where I was, hundreds (literally, never seen so many at one place before ) of Japanese shore crabs and calicos had gathered in the moonlight to have a party and social meeting. It was pretty awesome.;)

After savoring the moment for 1.76 secs, I proceeded to gather up some of the bigger ones, ripping off the pincers in the process. Got about a dozen and left to meet a friend. Sadly, none were shedders. One was close, shell sorta soft, but not quite.

So I went to meet the 2 handed clam fisherman :laugh::HappyWave: and gave the dude my prized crab baits so at least one of us could catch a damn fish!

I continued to plug and work artificials till almost dawn, not one tap.

Nothing on the calicos or some fresh clams either. When you can't even catch ONE bass on clams or crabs at night, you know it's time to go back to striper school!:laugh:

It was kinda frustrating to put all that effort to catching the needle in the haystack bass that we believed to be there, but as I rehashed the night's events in my mind, I remembered some cool things I was grateful for:

1. One of the places I fish has been devoid of fishermen because of the bugs. :eek: Keeps people away. Last night the bait I was looking for didn't show up until I was ready to leave that spot, and only very sparsely. So you could say the lack of consistent fishin success keeps people away from that spot, it's nothing like it was last year when many good nights were had. However, the walk is beautiful in its solitude. All creatures of nature were about and moving around in the mating dances, frogs, rabbits, a snake or 2, all cool stuff to see when you ain't catchin. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

2. Another majestic sight we got to see was the offshore storm. I initially assumed it was fireworks from a NY borough, but it kept moving through the night. Reminded me of the modern movie version of War of the Worlds, as you could only see the lightning hidden behind some offshore cloud cover. It was a truly impressive display of nature's power. Anyone else get a chance to see it?

3. Not a lot of other people out last night, even the freaks and drunks who don't fish but you run into here and there decided to stay home, so it was a cool night where you really felt at peace.

And I needed that, for a good while, and drank it all in. You couldn't have asked for nicer weather, or a better swell in the ocean, last night. Only no one told the bass.

Might be time for a road trip to Rhody or Mass. ;)

clamchucker
07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
IBSP before it got hot today. 2 short fluke on bucktail, squid strip, with gulp teaser. One sea robin. There were a lot of people there when I left though I didn't see much catching.

cowherder
07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
SH after work yesterday. I saw what looked like schools of bunker about 1000 feet off the beach. There were occasional splashes like they were being harassed by some bigger fish, not an all-out blitz of anything like that. I watched them for a long time but they never came closer, no boats were fishing them either. Caught one short fluke on green gulp shad.

amboyangler
07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Rich, that's why I stopped chasing the striped ones. I was losing my sanity. :kooky:

wish4fish
07-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Rich, that's why I stopped chasing the striped ones. I was losing my sanity. :kooky:

dude why is it so important to have sanity, lol? i been fishing for 2 weeks now without a striped one in sight, it ain't over till it's over!:D my report----been skunked for the past 2 weeks except for a few throwback fluke.

amboyangler
07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
dude why is it so important to have sanity, lol? i been fishing for 2 weeks now without a striped one in sight, it ain't over till it's over!:D my report----been skunked for the past 2 weeks except for a few throwback fluke.

you think thats bad? I haven't caught a striped one since late may..... went through all of june with short fluke and 1 skate.... and have only caught fluke this month so far...

I was spending too much money and time on chasing these stripers..... My month was May and in June I was always at the right spot but at the wrong time....... I'm gonna stick to jigging at night and see what happens.... hopefully a striped one will pass by and eat the jig :naughty:

fishinmission78
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Island beach until dark, incoming. 4 fluke to 18 1/2", one keeper, on gulp dragged behind a 36" leader with 1/2 oz egg sinker.

fishinmission78
07-09-2009, 10:37 PM
dude why is it so important to have sanity, lol?

Sanity is over-rated.:rolleyes:

gjb1969
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
no matter what anyone says we are all insane:dribble::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

fishinmission78
07-09-2009, 10:47 PM
no matter what anyone says we are all insane:dribble::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
True dat!:thumbsup: Who else would spend hours and days out there looking for the next big fish, when you could just go down to the fish market and buy fish anytime you want one, and it would be a lot cheaper too.

chas527
07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
thanks rick. got plug yesterday it looks great.

GeoffT
07-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Forget NJ, I'll be somewhere north of RI Monday thru Tuesday for some large. :thumbsup:

clamchucker
07-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Fishing seemed a little off today. One short fluke this afternoon. OC

paco33
07-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Hit the Hook for part of the incoming this morning. 7 fluke on gulp, no keepers.

storminsteve
07-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Forget NJ, I'll be somewhere north of RI Monday thru Tuesday for some large. :thumbsup:

Will you be fishing from land or a boat? Yeah well if you catch any large, you better bring back some pics with you. Make sure you send them to me first, with the "approximate location" labeled, so I can verify them for you.;)

I fished today from a buddy's boat in the RB area. Started before 5am drifting off Sandy Hook and a few other channels. Used spearing and squid, and gulp shrimp. Lots of sea robins, and short fluke, about 30 of each. Managed 2 keepers to 19 1/2 ", dinner tonight.

surfwalker
07-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Shoulda stayed home and tied up the tomato plants. Out front-3am-9am. Winds-WSW/SW- breeze. Water-warm. Nice constant rollers. Few bugs biting in the dark(only bites I got today). Dark-not a tap on the variety thrown. First light/sunup - not a rise. Switched to Fluking on the walk back-picked up 3 on chartruse Gulp teaser-shorts. Saw no bait at all. Still enjoyed the edge anyway. Bait guys, I saw nothing from them at all. Left at 9 for the journey back to the castle. GeoffT has the plan.

Happy Trails

LennyD
07-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Hit RB this am, landed few short fluke and only one keeper (19")

cowherder
07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Looks like there are some nice fluke around. I went to some moco spots. I scouted last week at low tide like you guys said to, and got 5 throwbacks, one keeper 18" this morning on bucktail dragged on the bottom with gulp teaser. Thanks for the tips guys!:fishing:

fishinmission78
07-12-2009, 07:54 AM
. GeoffT has the plan.

Maybe for bass, but there are some nice sharks. I gave up on bass for now. Set up with a bunch of fresh bloody bunker chunks last night in the IBSP area. I also threw about 20 chopped up mackerels in the water as chum. 2 brown sharks to 44", 4 dogfish to 48", 2 small skates, and I probably had a cow nosed ray on, couldn't see it, but I was fighting it for 10 minutes and couldn't bring it in. All still swimming. Ended up breaking the line, I was fishing with mono on the one pole. Careful with your poles lads, I almost lost that one in the water.:eek:

Picture of one of the doggies

Monty
07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Fished a little bay side and then a little ocean side between 3:00 and 7:00 this morning. Ended up with the old skunkaroo (throwen plugs). Storm skrewed up plans bigtime.

voyager35
07-12-2009, 08:59 PM
River fishing in the heart of Ocean county today. It was a little crowded but we still managed 2 keeper fluke to 21", bucktail and squid.

GeoffT
07-12-2009, 11:24 PM
GeoffT has the plan.

Indeed I do...hunting large stripers with eels - on some of the roughest surf in the NE. I can't wait!

Took the wife and daughter out on a rented boat in RB for some afternoon fluking. I was expecting the usual shorts and sea robins but we were pleasantly surprised. I got my PB at 6.5 lbs plus a 5 lber. My wife got her PB that went 5 lbs. My daughter had a 2.5 lber. Great fights on light tackle. We also had a few shorts and tiny sea robins. All keepers released because we forgot our cooler. :beatin:

All were caught on a 4" chartruese Gulp! mullet as a teaser and 1 oz Spro bucktail tipped with a 3" penny Gulp! shrimp. The big ones all hit the bucktail/shrimp combo. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Indeed I do...hunting large stripers with eels - on some of the roughest surf in the NE. I can't wait!

Don't tell me you're finally break down and use something other than artificials, G, say it ain't so!! :wow: :eek: :don't know why: :moon: :lookhappy: :scared: :ROFLMAO:

:thumbsup:

wtg on the great day fluking with your family Geoff. Fish, sun, and times spent with family, doesn't get any better than that. :clapping::thumbsup:

Great idea on the Rhody to Mass trip. There was something written by Ted Williams which said about 50% of the bass biomass spends the summer off waters in the Mass area. I'm itching to make that drive myself. Might be doing it within the next week or so, gotta go up and harass my Rhodie contacts. :HappyWave:With the slim pickings locally, all of a sudden those long hours driving and $ spent on gas don't look so bad. :dribble:

Looks like you're doing your research and following in the footsteps of Pete Vican and Dave Hochman. Pete Vican caught his record 75.4 bass eeling on 7-18-08, I believe. It's time for another one in those waters.

bababooey
07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Had a great morning fluking on the incoming. A friend and I got about 25 fluke on the incoming in the western part of Raritan bay, near the river. 5 keepers, up to 23", we were using bucktail and porkrind topped by gulp shrimp on one, and bucktail and spearing topped by gulp minnow on the other. Saw some dolphins very early, it was a nice sight for a few minutes. Beautiful sunrise and day on the water.

fishinmission78
07-13-2009, 05:54 PM
:skunk: that is all, lads. :fishing:

Nice fish here though, I wish I lived up that way :drool:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7325&thumb=1&d=1247505454 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7325&d=1247505454)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7324&thumb=1&d=1247505454 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7324&d=1247505454)

finchaser
07-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Took the wife and daughter out on a rented boat in RB for some afternoon fluking. I was expecting the usual shorts and sea robins but we were pleasantly surprised. I got my PB at 6.5 lbs plus a 5 lber. My wife got her PB that went 5 lbs. My daughter had a 2.5 lber. Great fights on light tackle. We also had a few shorts and tiny sea robins. All keepers released because we forgot our cooler. :beatin:

All were caught on a 4" chartruese Gulp! mullet as a teaser and 1 oz Spro bucktail tipped with a 3" penny Gulp! shrimp. The big ones all hit the bucktail/shrimp combo. :thumbsup:

Way to go still a great family outing.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

wish4fish
07-13-2009, 07:31 PM
fished an inlet last night, caught some pretty fine grass, stupid weeds:burn: nice fluke geoff dude!:thumbsup:

wish4fish
07-14-2009, 09:46 AM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7324&thumb=1&d=1247505454 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7324&d=1247505454)

have to get me a bass like that before i get old!:heart:
bluefish are around dudes im fishin the back again, got a mess of em to 10#last nite, high tide to outgoing, bunkah!:wheeeee:

captnemo
07-14-2009, 02:59 PM
A decent pick of fluke down the beach off Moco today. We had a nice drift, great sun, and a few keeper fluke in deeper water. Most of the bigger ones were caught in 40' of water on out. Bucktail and peruvian spearing, pink gulp mullet for the teaser. 5 keepers to 27", 28 shorts.

bababooey
07-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Someone asked where the bluefish are. Well they are inshore anywhere from 1/4 mile out all the way to the Shrewsbury Rocks. Yesterday after a slow day of fluking, only 1 keeper 20", many shorts, we hit the mother lode of angry blues. They were chopping up bunker beginning at Sandy Hook all the way through Moco. Caught enough to 10#on pencil poppers that my arms are sore today. All C&R, didn't feel like cleaning them, but it was great action for almost 2 hours, we moved with the different schools. I hope you surf guys get a chance to get into them today, it was fun.:wheeeee:

GeoffT
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
wtg on the great day fluking with your family Geoff. Fish, sun, and times spent with family, doesn't get any better than that. :clapping::thumbsup:

Great idea on the Rhody to Mass trip. There was something written by Ted Williams which said about 50% of the bass biomass spends the summer off waters in the Mass area. I'm itching to make that drive myself. Might be doing it within the next week or so, gotta go up and harass my Rhodie contacts. :HappyWave:With the slim pickings locally, all of a sudden those long hours driving and $ spent on gas don't look so bad. :dribble:

Looks like you're doing your research and following in the footsteps of Pete Vican and Dave Hochman. Pete Vican caught his record 75.4 bass eeling on 7-18-08, I believe. It's time for another one in those waters.

Thanks on the fluking trip - it was certainly the highlight of the year so far because it involved family members. :thumbsup:

Just got back from NE. Quantity was there but unfortunately lacking in quality. We had fish to 23 lbs with my biggest going probably about 15 lbs or so. We bought eels but weren't able to use them because of the strong SW in our faces. We got 'em on weighted sluggos/hogies (caught most of my fish on them), SS darters, 6" shads, loaded redfins. Got a big hit on a Hab's needle otherwise I didn't hook anything on needles despite the constant bumps and taps.

DS, of course I would use eels and bunker chunks if it would give me an opportunity to catch a big'un. :plastered:

I'm tired from lack of sleep and sore as hell from wetsuiting and dealing with rocks big and small (no sissy sandy beach!) but the trip was worth it despite the lack of big fish. It wasn't my first time but it's been awhile and I'm reminded again what a magical place it is for striped bass. I can see why guys (and gals) who truly love to fish for bass go there.

finchaser
07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Did the boat thing 16 miles from Manasquan inlet. We made 1 four hour drift and caught 8 to 12# blues none stop on jigs. they were on sand eels in the 8 to 10" size. School was spread out over a 3 mile area we must have released over 75 fish between 4 of us. also passed huge bunker schools from 8 to 10 miles off nothing in them.