PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for July 2009

DarkSkies
07-01-2009, 07:10 AM
NY fishing reports for July 2009
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

DarkSkies
07-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Williehookem you won the plug in the June random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

vpass
07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Fished same spot as yesterday. Fished from 3:45pm to 5:45pm. Caught 16 Fluke. The Fluke were bigger today. got one about 17 inches, the rest were between 12 to 14 inches. all on Gulp. I also caught a Kingfish.

DarkSkies
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
wtg on the fluke, and the kingfish! Vpass. That's a good sign that they're that far up this early, good fish to take kids out for.

I fished the Shinnecock area last night. Did a lot of scouting, not much catching. But at least I'm learning some new spots.

Started by wading out to some sedge areas during the top of the tide, fished pencils and spooks for 1/2 hour till sunset. It's tough to fish up there because so much private property blocks off access. However, I had my potential spots mapped out from Google, and hit them up one by one to see if there was a way to creatively "access" some of them. ;)

Met some people who fish up there a lot, so that was a help. Spent 15 minutes helpin a dude start his car. Dude this is your medicine for today, get that starter out of your back seat and install it, next time ya might not be so lucky!! :HappyWave:

Nothing in the sedge areas, so I kept moving. Finally ended up at a place I was at the other night, not much happening there. The abundant bunker were thinned out. Instead there were a lot of hickory shad around, but not a lot of big fish feeding on them.

In my travels, I also found a spot in the shallows where literally thousands of spearing 2-4", and some scattered peanuts, were milling around. Again, in the dark I could see their scattering and feeding movements, but the extreme volume of bait, together with the fact that there were few bigger fish feasting on them, got me worried about the night bite.

There was also a strong NE wind for most of the night, and the water got cloudy, so that might have affected things a little.
I set up with bunker heads, on the incoming.

Current wasn't that bad, but there was a huge amount of seaweed., some of it in 3' clumps. You had to check and clean your lines every few minutes.

I looked inside one shad as I chopped the head for chunking, it was full of spearing. So at least the shad are eating good!

The elusive seaweed fish

Foggy dawn

Around 4am, I had a nice runoff on one bunker head, no hookup. That's all the action I had in 5 hours of fishin, except for one slight tap as I worked the artificials at all levels of the water column. Could have been a shad on the line. Not many fish were caught overall in the area, slow night of fishin.

vpass
07-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Fished SI after work from 5 PM to 8:45pm. Caught 15 Fluke to 17 inches. Also caght 3 Cocktail blues. I used 3/4 oz Jigheads with Gulp. Blues were working Anchovies. The Anchovies were getting beached. I left them biting.

nitestrikes
07-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Fished a Moses beach before sunup today. It was great weather but few fish and a bunch of weeds. One slight strike on the chartreuse storm shad I threw, no solid hookups. There did appear to be some birds working offhsore as I was leaving, but they were far away. Lots of boats out early today.

7deadlyplugs
07-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Fished 3 hours this morning in the Long Beach area, 2 short bass on bunker chunks. The weeds were a pain. Darkskies, I wanted to thank you for the plug last month. I have been busy but appreciate it and will start using it at night when I can get out.

vpass
07-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Fished SI on the way home from work. I got 4 Fluke to 18 inches. I lost some that had good weight to them. I seen a lot of bait around I think this is going to be a real good year for Peanuts.

strikezone31
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Jones area this morning on the incoming. Threw a bunker colored shad, a little weedy. A bit of a problem until I got into a rhythm where I moved it just above the weeds. One slight hit on that, no fish brought in to the sand. :skunk:

plugginpete
07-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Got some nice fluke this afternoon after work, no keepers, biggest 18", got 5. Gulp new penny shrimp, FI area.

vpass
07-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Fished SI area. I got 2 Blues and dropped 2. all on Pink Fin S. a lot of bait around. Tide was incoming.

rockhopper
07-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Fished M this morning, south side on the sand. I got 2 small blues, and one around 8lbs, right around 1/2 hour after sunrise. Krocodiles.

nitestrikes
07-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Fished Jones area in the front 5-8am. Threw stormshad for awhile, no hits. Decided to downsize to a pink zoom with a 1/2 oz jighead and got a lot of hits from fluke and sea robins, nothing to take home, but still it was pretty constant action.

plugginpete
07-12-2009, 08:37 AM
At the last minute I jumped on a friend's boat last night to fish somewhere off the north fork. I am so glad I made it on that boat, we got bass to 25lbs using bunker and eels, left them biting. Beautiful night to be out fishing.:fishing:

stripercrazy
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I fished a north shore place early this morning, rubber on a 1/2 oz jig near where some water comes out, one microbass 22", fished between 4-6am.

pescador29
07-13-2009, 06:01 PM
SI with bunker chunks. I started at 3am and stopped at 6. 3 nice bluefish and one skatefish. There were a lot of baits, small baits, jumping when the sun came up.

vpass
07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I fished SI from 4:30pm to 7:45pm. I caught 20 Fluke from 12 inches to 15 inches. all on white gulp. Tide: outgoing to the begining of the incoming.

crosseyedbass
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Late report. I was fishing Monday in front of FI, Moses area. I was fishing for fluke, and saw about 5 huge fish jump out of the water. Does anyone know if wahoo come in this close in the summer, or is it too early for them yet? These fish were long and pretty thick, about 4 to 5 feet long.

nitestrikes
07-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Somewhere w of Jones last night, out front, incoming. 2 small bass on clams, one came close 27.8" but no cigar, still swimming. Also caught a stargazer, man they are nasty creatures!:scared: It was a great night to be out and seems the weeds cleared up a little.

BassBuddah
07-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Late report. I was fishing Monday in front of FI, Moses area. I was fishing for fluke, and saw about 5 huge fish jump out of the water. Does anyone know if wahoo come in this close in the summer, or is it too early for them yet? These fish were long and pretty thick, about 4 to 5 feet long.

CEB, you might have seen sturgeon, I think they're spawning from May to now. I remember reading something about that being spawning behavior, not sure. Did they look like this?

vpass
07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Fished SI yesterday got 5 Fluke on white Gulp. Tide was mid outgoing wind from the south. There's lots of Peanuts and spearing around.

Did anyone get spike weakies yet?

williehookem
07-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Hit a place where the water goes out this morning for fluke, Jones area. Got 2 to 17" with a bucktail and PR, pink zoom teaser. Bugs were bad, weeds were ok. I cut out of there early because of the bugs, not worth it for a few short fluke.:kooky:

"Did anyone get spike weakies yet?" Nothing for me yet. A buddy is catching them in the GSB area at night, not spikes, bigger ones to 32", ledhead and rubber. I'll have to bribe him to let me tag along one of these nights. The thing that sux is he goes out every night, and maybe 1 out of 5 nights hooks into a weakie. I think there are a lot less of them around this year.

7deadlyplugs
07-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Played hooky today and went fishing on a friend's boat to get in on some of the bunker action. There were so many pods of bunker it was unreal! Not a lot of bass, tho, at least we didn't see any. Got one bass 21# drifting bunker at 7am, hey at least we got one. A lot of the guys we talked to said it was better at 5am. There were so many boats off Fire island I thought I was at the boat show. I bet it will be a zoo tomorrow, and less fish caught bacause of the insane traffic. Still, it was fun, and a beautiful day out, a little swell, but not that bad.:fishing:

crosseyedbass
07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
7dp, I saw the flotilla as I was driving this morning. God I wish I could have taken the day off.:burn: Sometimes it really does pay to have a boat.

vpass
07-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Fished SI from 2:30pm to 8PM. The last 2 hours of the Incoming thru Mid outgoing. Many large schools of peanut bunker. I caught 1 spike Weakie about 15 inches. 10 Fluke to 19 inches. and 2 cocktail Blues, all on Gulp minnows in white. 2 Gentlemen next to me got 2 weakies 1 at 18 inches, and the other at 16.5 inches. They kept both, and they where caught on live Peanut Bunker. All my fish were released.

DarkSkies
07-18-2009, 01:14 PM
7dp, I saw the flotilla as I was driving this morning. God I wish I could have taken the day off.:burn: Sometimes it really does pay to have a boat.

Yeah I was informed of that great bite too. Thought of bringing the kayak over there, but didn't want to battle all those boats . Glad some of you guys are getting into them, save some for the fall. :D

Fished SI from 2:30pm to 8PM. The last 2 hours of the Incoming thru Mid outgoing. Many large schools of peanut bunker. I caught 1 spike Weakie about 15 inches. 10 Fluke to 19 inches. and 2 cocktail Blues, all on Gulp minnows in white. 2 Gentlemen next to me got 2 weakies 1 at 18 inches, and the other at 16.5 inches. They kept both, and they where caught on live Peanut Bunker. All my fish were released.

Happy Day! to hear about some weakies, seems the reports are starting to filter in, thanks for the news. :thumbsup:

A lot of people don't realize how abundant they used to be. They talk about "cycles" I remember going to Sandy Hook over 10 years ago, when the real Hook actually existed over by the Bug Light. It extended about another 200' out into the water. You would walk over to the point, seine yourself some fresh spearing with a small seine net you brought out there, and cast 10 feet out right into the channel.

Right around this time of year, you would find all the sharpies and old timers concentrated within 250' of that point. We all fished together and gave each other space. The only problem was when the drunk guys in the boats came too close on the weekends. Then they would get an earful from the old-timers. :argue:

It was the first place I learned to bring a contractor's apron with me to hold the spearing. :learn:

All you had to do is make a few casts out into the channel, and you would have either a fluke, weakie up to 20", sometimes bigger, and the fishin was great there. At times a short or legal bass was actually caught, middle of the day, I kid you not. :rolleyes:

That fishin is back in the dusty corners of my mind, because I haven't seen anything like it since. Good memories, though. :thumbsup:

crosseyedbass
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
All you had to do is make a few casts out into the channel, and you would have either a fluke, weakie up to 20", sometimes bigger, and the fishin was great there. At times a short or legal bass was actually caught, middle of the day, I kid you not. :rolleyes:

Wow I can't even imagine fishing like that. Stripers in the middle of the day, without a blitz?:kooky:

I fished west of Jones and E of Breezy last night, one bass 29" on bunker chunks. Also caught a few dogfish, it seems they are everywhere this year.

pescador29
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
We got 9 bluefish in SI last night, and were using bunkers. The bigger one was 28", very nice.:D

blitzhunter
07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Fished SI yesterday got 5 Fluke on white Gulp. Tide was mid outgoing wind from the south. There's lots of Peanuts and spearing around.

Did anyone get spike weakies yet?

No, but I hope they come around soon. I was fishing a beach to the east yesterday, right after the rain. I was close to an inlet, and was chunking with bunker, only redbirds and skates. I saw a commotion near the inlet and brought my gear over. We had about an hour of nice bluefish action throwing bucktails and jigs. I got 6 to 10#. :fishing:

vpass
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I fished yesterday, and today in the same area in SI after work from 4:30 to 7:00pm on the Incoming. lots of bait around. Yesterday I didn't land anything., but had a few nice size fish on, taking drag. All my fin-s coming back in on pieace.:don't know why: Today I landed 2 short weakies, and a short fluke. and lots of half eaten Plastics.:burn:
I was using pink Fin-S on jighead. I heard the talk of bigger blues on bunker amoung the locals.

vpass
07-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Fished SI mid outgoing. Peanut were being harassed. I casted everything I had without a hit. decided to snag and drop. I had one take, and I snapped the line on the hook setting.:burn:

nitestrikes
07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
The fishing gods smiled on me tonight. Fresh bunker chunks, E of Hempstead, from sunset to about an hour ago. 2 bass to 30", kept the smaller one because I caught it first. Also got a massive hit about 5 minutes after I threw my lines in, I think it was a big ray or some kind of shark, but I'm not sure because I had to cut the line. It took too much out and I couldn't get it in. I'm glad I wasn't too far from that rod.:scared:

blitzhunter
07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
wtg nitestrikes. I was out on the SS last night after the rain throwing bucktails. I couldn't buy a hit, hey that's fishing.:skunk:

nitestrikes
08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
SS this morning, one 18" fluke, 2 searobins, throwing a small diamond jig.