PDA

View Full Version : Help with Recon

Stripercoast1
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Or getting more info on the places you already fish. In the last month I have found structure in places I already have many years of experiance fishing and it's helped me change things up a bit.
Type in your desired location, zoom in, then hit the "birds eye" button. Incredible resolution! It blows away google earth.
Bing Maps (http://www.bing.com/maps/)
Be advised, you will find yourself spending hours checking out new spots.

DarkSkies
07-07-2009, 09:18 AM
And of course ya know the first place I'll be zoomin in on is Rhody.:drool: I already use this, but you now gave me an excuse to find another escape, searchin the Rhody coastline, adding a new addiction to my life. Thanks a lot! :kooky::rolleyes:

finchaser
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Pretty neat except, I just checked out where I live ,the truck in my drive way I sold 2 years ago.

basshunter
07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Great site. I search for an hour already. Thanks!

vpass
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
great site, Me too searching over an hour. Thanks for the site.

DarkSkies
07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Or getting more info on the places you already fish. In the last month I have found structure in places I already have many years of experiance fishing and it's helped me change things up a bit.
Type in your desired location, zoom in, then hit the "birds eye" button. Incredible resolution! It blows away google earth.
Bing Maps (http://www.bing.com/maps/)
Be advised, you will find yourself spending hours checking out new spots.

No matter how much we think we know or have learned, there is always another lesson at the end of the day to learm if you're open minded and want to improve. Here's a guy who's spent almost 50 years fishin. Why would he need to study maps??? :don't know why:

Because sometimes conditions change, and the good fisherman is the one who wants to see and learn that. I spent 2 hours last night lost in the maps.live world. I couldn't put the cursor down until I fell asleep in the chair.

The point: sometimes lookin at a map or topographic representation will give you a better perspective, or reinforce why you should try a little harder at a place you already know to be good, but just haven't hooked up at lately.

Summer logic tells us that there are not many bass around, but a guy I know pulled a fish close to 60 out of the suds on a bunker chunk less than 2 weeks ago. :clapping::clapping: Last year, R from SH pulled a 50 out of the water there, 3am, right around this time, on a plug, fishing structure.

Anomaly, you say? Maybe you're right. Hope springs eternal in the mind of an obsessed fisherman. If there is no bait around, you probably won't get the fish you're looking for. Learning your spots, and taking the initiative to learn new ones by tireless scouting, will make you a better fisherman in the end.

Here's a pic of a place I know, but decided to take another look at. Note the deeper water to the right that is reachable as it looks like a swirl that extends just beyond a set of rocks (black specks on the left). I wouldn't have learned that if I wasn't willing re-visit it. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

I don't see the downside here, other than lost sleep, and obsessive compulsive behavior. ;)

clamchucker
07-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Because sometimes conditions change, and the good fisherman is the one who wants to see and learn that.

Conditions change all the time, Dark. Storms, seasonal wind patterns, and the natural progesssion of the seasons all have an affect on beach structure. Kudos for doing your homework.

Stripercoast1
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
The thing about the birds eye view that has already changed my ways of fishing more than one place I am approaching the millionth cast, are the near shore deep water reefs I now know about. You don't always see the water disruption on the surface from structure, but tidal flow is interupted and channeled by this type of structure. I print out these locations, and orient myself at the location to identify my new knowledge. A few of my new found bottom chunks have actually explained to me why a location produces when I couldn't really explain it in the past.
Beaches change daily, big chunks take eons to move.

scone
08-05-2009, 08:37 AM
you already read the water like nobody i know so now you're just downright dangerous,right?
i dont need a map,just a good pair of field glasses to keep your jeep in view!

Stripercoast1
08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Sconie, Glad to see you here!
You don't need field glasses, just take a seat on the passengers side Brutha!
By the way, I am luvin those Darters.

scone
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
been doin a major overhaul of the shop. insulation and sheetrock,we'll have heat this winter, and a tool upgrade as well so we'll have darters too!
to stay on topic- found myself out your way last nite, house looked dark, so i figure you were either doin some recon work, or recovery from the daytime skishin excursion with Deb.
hope to see you this weekend!

Jackbass
08-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Pretty neat except, I just checked out where I live ,the truck in my drive way I sold 2 years ago.

That will hurt you if you are looking for structure in Erosion prone areas. Sandy Shorelines Cape Cod. But for Rocky Structure the bing is the thing brother!

Scone, Gunny< howdie

nitestrikes
02-18-2010, 08:55 PM
the bing is the thing brother!

Yes it is, great tip. I'm already looking at some new spots I want to check out.

DarkSkies
09-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks to Just Ed for starting this...:HappyWave:....a good time to revisit during full and new moons.....

Her'e something I posted earlier today.....

Still, I have to be out there during the full moon.
No mater how much experience you gain, there is always more to learn.

Full moon scouting at night.....It gives me a chance to see what has changed and poke and prod looking for different kinds of forage.

buckethead
09-27-2012, 03:10 PM
X2, structure is always changing. Even the jetties and the inlets. Good to stay on top of it.