PDA

View Full Version : How would you fish this? Discussion series

DarkSkies
07-07-2009, 09:12 AM
1. Freshwater rip...

This is a series of discussions where I hope we might learn some things. Jump in and post up what you would do given the conditions here. I'lll try to give as much clues as possible without giving the place away. :beatin: Let's try to be as general as we can about these places, guys. The objective is to learn something, not see how good we are at recognizing landmarks, if there are any.

This is a freshwater rip in a big river. You're fishin for striped bass, and the conditions present themselves well for fishin bait, so that's the best clue I can give ya's. ;)

If you were to fish artificials here, what would you fish, and how would you present them? Another clue is that the bottom is rocky, like Montauk, so ya gotta be careful with your gear.

Water temp in this fresh water rip ranges from mid-50's to mid 60's when the striped bass are most active.

I don't think there are right and wrong answers here, I set these up as a way for guys here to develop their reading the water skills better. So give it a shot and tell me how ya would fish it. :D

Here's some pics:

The structure in the foreground is a set of rocks. The water comes down the river, and washes around this set of rocks, which juts out. You can see the partial distortion of the water in the first pic. Massive gallons of current swirling arornd this point.

surfstix1963
07-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Bucktail with a grub teaser wt of the bucktail would vary with how fast the current is moving of course, would be my first choice. I might want to try a rapala x-rap subwalk maybe a darter depending on water depth.The first thing I would want to know is what the food sources are in the water and that would give me a better idea of what I would choose thats why I chose the bucktail first that can imitate just about anything and be trimmed down for a thinner profile.

DarkSkies
07-07-2009, 09:39 AM
OK, I was gonna wait till later to post my response, but surfstix gave a good answer, and I realized maybe a llittle more info was needed.

The primary food/bait source is herring/shad here. That's what works for the most part. As the water warms, plugs and artificials work as well. And surfstix gave a great analysis right out of the box. :thumbsup:

Here's what I would do:

Bucktail with white or chartreuse grub, given the condition of the water, worked downriver into and with the current on the outgoing.

Rubber shad bright or white colors, heavy enough to get down but not drag the rocks.

Top water choice would be top water swimmers, worked quickly in the rips in the day, slower at night., following the current. A few casts thrown in working across the current as well.

I would also work some swimmers that went down 3-5 feet, some cheap plastic swimmers would be ideal for this situation IMO.

There is spawning activity here, another clue, so you can work stuff at a more rapid pace when the fish are active.

Great start, let's hear em guys. :thumbsup:

jonthepain
07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
first i'd try a red/white bucktail w/squid strip, bounced

next a plastic paddletail, "matching the hatch", just off the bottom and around structure.

finally a bomber or yozuri in mackeral or red/white with a rubber or epoxy teaser in rainfish or maybe even eel, with a one second per revolution retrieve or slower if I can get good action in the rip.

Rip-Plugger
07-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I would try several things I'll start with a rebel in standard black/silver or in mackeral color.in 6 inch sinking.
sling it out and allow it to sink on a semi tight line.then crank it back at diff speeds.

then I'd try a 6 inch rubber shad in blue/pearl and black/pearl.
slow roll it down deep and try various depths

next would be a chrome or gold spoon[krocodile,thinner one,].
sling it out and allow it to flutter down then crank it up and flutter down.

then the old smiling bill in white with a 6 inch curlytail/chartreuse bill with white 6 inch curlytail.
sling it out and bump bottom a bit then keep it up above the rocks!

try some wood slung out and allow it to drift waay out then roll it slowly back to me on top or just under the top!

thats my plan on how to fish this place,,,before first light and at dark!

R-P

ledhead36
07-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I would fish a ledhead (what else!) with a white curly grub, or a "double tail" white grub. Size would depend on the current and tide. I would then go to a middle of the water plastic plug, and try to work that. No dice on them... I would be fishing the shad or herring, match the hatch.

storminsteve
07-11-2009, 01:16 PM
No dice on them... I would be fishing the shad or herring, match the hatch.

Yeah dude, if that's what they are eating, I might try to throw some herring or shad chunks first. I'm not the greatest plugger in the world, but if I see someone catching fish, I know enough to mimic what they are doing or using.:D If the bait didn't work, I would throw the swimmers like you guys, and work them slowly.

jonthepain
07-11-2009, 10:54 PM
sometimes if there's a big "hatch," something completely different will get hits.

mick2360
07-12-2009, 08:46 AM
A situation tailor made for a mid level rapala. My second go to would be a bucktail with a pork rind teaser (why do you guys like grubs when PR has been king for 100 years?).

Just doing what i can to start a flame war. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
07-12-2009, 10:54 AM
... (why do you guys like grubs when PR has been king for 100 years?)

Who woulda thunk that Mick would be the one to start the trouble around here! Didn't you once tell me that someone in your family owned a pork rind factory?:rolleyes: :laugh: I always carry pork rind with me, my surf bag has holes so it's gotta stay in the GOOGAN bucket for now. :bucktooth: That's why I didn't have it at Montauk when you asked. I so tried to stay away from carrying that bucket, but it seems like the googan curse follows me everywhere. ;)

BassBuddah
02-08-2010, 05:48 PM
A situation tailor made for a mid level rapala. My second go to would be a bucktail with a pork rind teaser (why do you guys like grubs when PR has been king for 100 years?).

Excellent choices, that's what I would do as well.

jigfreak
12-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Keep it simple, keep it real
What mick said, bucktail with pork is a universal fish catcher. You can change up the size of the rind based on the size of the forage. Also a ledhead with a small grub or minnow profile rubber as water is colder in the spring or fall. That's all you need. Bring a bunch because that place looks sticky with rocks.

SurfPlug
12-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Hard to tell by the picture to be honest. I would fish it with rodnreel.

gjb1969
12-28-2010, 04:40 PM
mid level smimers bucktails small swim baits and small jigs and small popers:HappyWave:thats my kind of spot

DarkSkies
12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Hard to tell by the picture to be honest. I would fish it with rodnreel.

:clapping: Thanks for that one Surfplug....I was gonna ask ya if ya would consider using a hand line instead...:rolleyes:
or an old cane pole....
or a kite rig...

but you definitely cleared that up for me. :laugh:

How ya been bro? :HappyWave:
You working this week or have off till New Year? I heard the commute to the city was terrible yesterday.