PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's luck, stories and observations

DarkSkies
07-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Congratulations are first in order to the person who inspired this thread. She works for someone I know. I was there a few weeks ago, and she had the fishin bug. She said she was out a few times, saw some people catch some fish, but didn't really know how they were doing it, and she wanted to learn.

So I asked her where she was, to describe the conditions there, and set her up with some lures and rubber that might work there. She got her 1st pole 2 weeks ago, I set it up for her that day.

The next night, she, her husband, and his brother went where I told them to go, and she got a keeper bass on her first cast, chartreuse 5' storm shad. :clapping: First frikkin cast! :rolleyes:

About an hour later she caught a big bluefish. I'm kinda glad that she had to wait an hour to catch the blue, otherwise she would think fishin is so easy, and it ain't. :D

But I'm happy for her, and kinda proud she got it together with some of the advice I gave her. She was motivated, paid attention, and was willing to listen (though she did break her rod by not playing the fish right, oh well) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So let's hear some stories, obervations, and tales of beginner's luck.....

storminsteve
07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
We took my friend's wife with us on a party boat one day last year on a summer fluke trip. It was her first time fishing, ever, and she won the pool with a 10lb doormat! We were glad she won the $$, but cmon 1st time ever and you catch a monster fluke? That's fishing for you.:kooky::fishing:

clamchucker
07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I like to take the grandchildren fishing when they are off from school. Sometimes the youngest will get the nicest fish of the day. It always puts a smile on my face when that happens.

fishinmission78
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I was fishing Island Beach when a run of big fish came through. There were about 10 of us in this one cut throwing pencils. A kid next to me got a bass around 50 or 51#, 3rd cast. He fought that fish like a champ, though I could see he was nervous. I and his Dad helped him once he got it into the wash. Later on he said it was his first time surf fishing. He was so excited all I could do was congratulate him and his Dad. One thing I didn't tell him...some guys fish all their lives for a fish like that. You catch a fish like that on your first day out....it's all downhill from there....:D

Frankiesurf
07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I got a story like that except my first Striper was about 12". I just happened to be on the beach that day after digging out an old rod I never used and a 007 and seeing my first blitz about 300 yards off the beach. My second three days later was 36" though.

stripermania
07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
My brother caught his first keeper after three casts. I don't think I ever got over it.:D

DarkSkies
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM

The next night, she, her husband, and his brother went where I told them to go, and she got a keeper bass on her first cast, chartreuse 5' storm shad. :clapping: First frikkin cast! :rolleyes:

About an hour later she caught a big bluefish. I'm kinda glad that she had to wait an hour to catch the blue, otherwise she would think fishin is so easy, and it ain't. :D

But I'm happy for her, and kinda proud she got it together with some of the advice I gave her. .....

Follow up on that story. Even though she broke her rod, she's not giving up, despite the fact that about 80% of the guys that used to fish the bunker blitzes have, and are sitting around waiting for those magic fall fsih to show up. :kooky: ;)

She went out and got a new rod, and was fishin again Mon night with her husband and brother. I saw her today, and she told me her brother had the hot hand, and they got blanked. Her brother got 7 bluefish to 8# using a storm shad. I gave her some pointers to present better to the fish, maybe she'll be the one to catch next time.

Hey, at least she's tryin, gotta give her credit for that. :clapping: :thumbsup:

Stripercoast1
07-22-2009, 05:39 PM
A few years ago, I was involved with young Marine enlisted pegged for the MECEP program, where they make officers out of enlisted guys that show the neccessary talent. I would allow them to stay at my house on weekends and holidays, and share the outdoors with them. Many of them were hundreds of miles from home, and the program is very difficult for even the best of the best. The time away from the base and books would help them clear their heads.
There was this one young Sgt. that loved to hunt and fish, but never got the chance at salt water. I set him up with one of my rods and headed for the south coast breechways.
Justin and I went to the end of this one particular breechway, and stood at the end of the seawall. The tide was slack and I went over the process of fishing this unique situation. i told him where to cast his eel and to count to 10 until he flipped the bail. Then let it drift across the current until the line goes slack. At that point the eel will be behind the outer reef where Bass are usually hanging out.
The tide turns and the rip starts to form. I tell him, OK go ahead and cast. He does everything I told him to do exactly as I had told him. He starts to retrieve and BANG!, he's on. He sets the hook and line starts to peel from the reel. He fights on, with me right at his side until we land a 46 pound Striper.
I then tell him that he is now spoiled for life, as guys with years of fishing are still looking for a Bass that size.
He ended up at the Naval academy 6 weeks later and last I heard did 3 tours in Iraq, and Afganistan, first as a platoon Commander, then a Company Commander and finally as a Battalion XO.
He's a light colonel now, at the first Mar Div. in charge of the School of Infantry.
He was the only one from his MECEP platoon to get a last minute appointment to the academy, and the rest of his class was restricted to Capt. due to Mustang restrictions.

Frankiesurf
07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Great story Gunny. I really gotta get up there this fall.

BassBuddah
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
There was this one young Sgt. that loved to hunt and fish, but never got the chance at salt water. I set him up with one of my rods and headed for the south coast breechways.
Justin and I went to the end of this one particular breechway, and stood at the end of the seawall. The tide was slack and I went over the process of fishing this unique situation. i told him where to cast his eel and to count to 10 until he flipped the bail. Then let it drift across the current until the line goes slack. At that point the eel will be behind the outer reef where Bass are usually hanging out.
The tide turns and the rip starts to form. I tell him, OK go ahead and cast. He does everything I told him to do exactly as I had told him. He starts to retrieve and BANG!, he's on. He sets the hook and line starts to peel from the reel. He fights on, with me right at his side until we land a 46 pound Striper.
I then tell him that he is now spoiled for life, as guys with years of fishing are still looking for a Bass that size.
He ended up at the Naval academy 6 weeks later and last I heard did 3 tours in Iraq, and Afganistan, first as a platoon Commander, then a Company Commander and finally as a Battalion XO.
He's a light colonel now, at the first Mar Div. in charge of the School of Infantry.
He was the only one from his MECEP platoon to get a last minute appointment to the academy, and the rest of his class was restricted to Capt. due to Mustang restrictions.

:thumbsup: Great story. Thank you for your effort on helping that soldier. It sounds like you really made a differerence.