PDA

View Full Version : things that scare or spook the fish

crosseyedbass
07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
There is always alot of talk about surfcasters shining their lights into the water which scare the fish. What are other things that scare the fish?

bababooey
07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I think fish are very spooky, and always act as if. Granted, if you have a bunch of fish in an adult or peanut bunker feeding frenzy they will be less cautious. However, even in a boat, sounds of knocks and bangs against the gunwhale can be enough to put fish down. When a lot of boats crowd a school, you see them sound the majority of times. In inlets, assume you have a lot of baitfish, and fish feeding. Boat traffic will shut off the bite like a faucet. As far as surfcasting, my knowledge is less. I do know there are a lot of guys who will jump right out into the water to get that farthest cast. Fishing at dawn and dusk? You would be surprised how often the fish are near your feet, right in the wash. Hope that helps.

Monty
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
bababooey hit it on the head with how close fish are at times. Find some nice whitewater and chances are there will be some bass in tight (real tight).
If I am intending to wade out to reach an area, I will most often work the area close to shore first from the beach if I feel it may hold a fish or two.
I spent a lot of time fly fishing in streams for trout, they were off the charts spooky. I have carried what I learned in that fishing into surf/bay fishing. If the water is not rough (sometimes it gets like a lake), I will fish from shore as much as possible, and wade extremely careful.
And while I am wading I am always trying not to make any types of commotion.
I would like to hear what others such as finchaser and Rip-Plugger have to say about this. Their experience dwarfs mine.

finchaser
07-13-2009, 07:01 PM
IMO,on and off light spooks them. Constant light attracts bait and bass.
Perfect examples lights on bridges and docks.

A certain club in Ocean County has lights that attract bait and on certain nights creates surface blitz conditions. A good tip is when on the beach or jetty where there is constant light stand back far enough or on an angle so your body doesn't cast a shadow on the water because every time you move is like lights on and off

JakeF
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
The smell of Ed's socks after a night of fishing will ruin the fishing on an entire beach for the rest of the day. :naughty:

Frankiesurf
07-14-2009, 08:09 PM
If he didn't carry 67 pounds of plugs it might be a little better.

I have found that when fishing back bay or the L.I. Sound if I go near the water without a dozen or so casts, I will most likely spook some fish. If the water is calm then I don't go near it until I have made certain that there aren't fish up close.

I too have blitz fished at night under lights. If you find yourself in that situation, DON"T MOVE if the lights are on your back. Cast with your arms and not your body.

Another scenario is fire in the water. I will get back to you on this one since my laptop has 3 minutes of power left.

DarkSkies
07-16-2009, 08:56 AM
The smell of Ed's socks after a night of fishing will ruin the fishing on an entire beach for the rest of the day. :naughty:

Worse than a rotting tub of bunker, you say? :laugh: :upck:I don't know if I committed enough sins in life that I would have to get punished by getting close enough to smell Ed's socks. Only special sinners get to ride in that truck with him. Better you than me. ;) :ROFLMAO:

VSdreams
07-16-2009, 12:20 PM
^Who's Ed and why do his socks smell so bad? Fungus issues?:scared:

DarkSkies
07-17-2009, 02:15 PM
^Who's Ed and why do his socks smell so bad? Fungus issues?:scared:

Ed's is Stripercoast1, a helluva fisherman and probably one of the best guides in the Rhody area. If you're ever up that way and want to get into quality fish, you should contact the guy, he'll put ya on em. :thumbsup:

I have heard that the stink of his feet is legendary, that he can drop a fox from 100 yards just by airing out his shoes. Not much else I can say about that. :laugh:

JakeF
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Haha,,, I actually don't know what his socks smell like,,, but had to bust his balls a little. ;)

Frankie, you're right on with your comments. :thumbsup:
With fire in the water, slow your presentation down dramatically, and if necessary go with a lighter line/leader. Eels are a good choice when the fire is real bad.

Stripercoast1
07-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Neoprene melts within a foot from my feet!
Man you guys are brutal!
All this time I thought I was putting out a good chum slick.

On to the posted subject................

I fish lighthouses, big huge sweeping flashlights. In areas where the light is constant, it doesn't seem to bother the fish. I believe it's the sudden bright short duration lights, like million candle power spots that spook fish.
I also like to fish the areas where squid jiggers are hanging high powered light sources over the water. It attracts small bait and the Stripers will ambush along the fringe of the light. I like, when I can, to cast across the light retrieving into the shadows or along the edge. I have managed quite a few nice Bass doing this. You should see the look on the squidders faces when they see a 20 pounder slam a plug right in front of them.

Frankiesurf
07-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Ahh yes, Fire in the water. Definitely a super slow retrieve with a lighter leader and small profile plugs. No teasers and if you can get away with eliminating your barrel swivel then try that. The less drag in the water the less you will stir up the fire. Another way to get around fire is..... fish around lights. If the water is lit up from the outside then the fire is much less noticeable from below.

wish4fish
07-17-2009, 08:03 PM
and when you dudes do haveta walk in the water, don't be clumping around clump clump clump in your waders or boots. we catch fish in 2 feet of water when the bait is all schooled up. slide your feet through the water, don't splash!:beatin:

Rip-Plugger
07-19-2009, 12:05 PM
There is always alot of talk about surfcasters shining their lights into the water which scare the fish. What are other things that scare the fish?

I have seen any times a fish that hits a plug thrashes and spooks the rest of the fish near it.
I cast thats to loud[plug splash] will put fish down as well.
once I saw an eel franticly trying to find cover near shore one night,it got part way under a rock and then remained still,a bass came up and held close to where it went,I put my light right on it's head,face and body and it was not scared at all.it moved on after about 8 seconds.
the eel was still there not moving,oddest thing I ever saw.
still,I do not shine light near the water.

R-P

Stripercoast1
07-19-2009, 01:19 PM
A plug splash that spooks fish? In over 35 years of surfcasting, thats the first time I've heard that. I have fished calm nights when even the tide left no disturbance on the water in a few coves I fish. I had, on more than one occaision, hundreds of Bass finning at the surface in shallow water. I would cast to the fringe of the school, and the reaction I got was Bass attracted to the splash. An almost instantanious crushing hit ensued.
I agree with the advise of carefully wading in shallow water when it is calm, I have spooked fish in the past with the sound of Korkers grinding on rocks.
When fishing with buddies in calm conditions, I will even refrain from talking loudly to them, even if to tell them I'm into a Cow.
Remember this, current, waves and wind will mask a lot of noise, but at the same time, sound travels 10 times as fast underwater than it does above. It was part of my combat diver course, and understanding why rebreathers are a better option than scuba for special ops.

DarkSkies
07-19-2009, 03:16 PM
,I put my light right on it's head,face and body and it was not scared at all.it moved on after about 8 seconds.
the eel was still there not moving,oddest thing I ever saw.
still,I do not shine light near the water.

R-P

Like a deer in the headlights. :eek: Ever run across one of those on the way to a hunt, Stripercoast1?

Hey welcome back R-P! I don't know why you couldn't get on, but it seems things have been magically repaired. Hope all is well, look for some freaky music posts when I get a chance. :HappyWave: Hope I don't embarass you too much, because I WILL find those links. ;)

Stripercoast1
07-19-2009, 03:41 PM
One day I'll post a picture of how I have my Bow set up.
It's at the pro shop for it's annual tune up, and 2 year string replacement right now.
A 2C mag light duct tapes quite nicely to the stabilizer.
I use that rig for Legal environmental herd thinning permits.

paco33
02-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I was just reading page1 of this thread. Some funny stuff.

I would agree with the on and off of the lights. Pier, dock and bridge lights are not a problem because they are either on or off. It's the disturbance in lighting patterns I believe spooks the fish. My .02.

Pebbles
02-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Fast movements spook fish. I learned to move slow and steady when in the water.