PDA

View Full Version : Lesson in unselfishness

albiealert
07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I know this is just a parable, but if true, don't know if I could do that. Would you make that sacrifice for someone you love? How far would you go to help your wife or loved one (child, etc) have a better life?

There was
a blind girl who hated herself because she was blind. She
hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He was always
there for her. She told her boyfriend, 'If I could only see
the world, I will marry you.'

One day,
someone donated a pair of eyes to her. When the bandages
came off, she was able to see everything, including her
boyfriend.

He asked
her,'Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?' The
girl looked at her boyfriend and saw that he was blind. The
sight of his closed eyelid s shocked her. She hadn't expected
that. The thought of looking at them the rest of her life
led her to refuse to marry him.

Her
boyfriend left in tears and days later wrote a note to her
saying: 'Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before
they were yours, they were mine.'

This is
how the human brain often works when our status changes.
Only a very few remember what life was like before, and who
was always by their side in the most painful situations.

Life Is a
Gift

Today
before you say an unkind word - Think of someone who can't
speak.

Before
you complain about the taste of your food - Think of someone
who has nothing to eat.

Before
you complain about your husband or wife - Think of someone
who's crying out to GOD for a companion.

Today
before you complain about life - Think of someone who went
too early to heaven.

Before
whining about the distance you drive Think of someone who
walks the same distance with their feet.

And when
you are tired and complain about your job - Think of the
unemployed, the disabled, and those who wish they had your
job.

And when
depressing thoughts seem to get you down - Put a smile on
your face and think: you're alive and still
around.

plugcrazy
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
What a lesson in irony. Good post.

surfwalker
07-15-2009, 03:02 PM
And when
depressing thoughts seem to get you down - Put a smile on
your face and think: you're alive and still
around.

The Deerslayer has been acting up lately-the brake lights shorted out and one the blinkers has stopped. I get to work on Monday morning early and start checking out wires and the routine. While doing this I'm getting quite the attitude, thinking about all the lousy situations I've been in and stuff, complaining to myself. Out of the corner of my eye I see a van pull into a handicap area and a fellow in a wheelchair, paralized, but still a funtional,working person. What an a** I was. I've had it pretty good all my life compared to some. I'm not that young anymore, but some people realize things early and some people get it later. I'm sorry to say it took something like that to knock me back to reality.
So, yes for my family, anything that would help them, anything.

williehookem
07-17-2009, 07:42 PM
While doing this I'm getting quite the attitude, thinking about all the lousy situations I've been in and stuff, complaining to myself. Out of the corner of my eye I see a van pull into a handicap area and a fellow in a wheelchair, paralized, but still a funtional,working person. What an a** I was. I've had it pretty good all my life compared to some. I'm not that young anymore, but some people realize things early and some people get it later. I'm sorry to say it took something like that to knock me back to reality.

Hey surf read the story below story the other day, and it seems similar to what you saw, only this couple realized it was the end of their lives and didn't want to put their family through the burden....

http://www.southernledger.com/ap/294668/Conductor_Downes_wife_die_in_Swiss_suicide_clinic
Conductor Downes, wife die in Swiss suicide clinic

http://www.southernledger.com/images_ap/0024feb4-7965-4d17-ae52-a135c505fc28-0024feb4-7965-4d17-ae52-a135c505fc28.jpg
This undated handout photo made available Tuesday July 14, 2009 shows renowned British conductor Edward Downes. British conductor Edward Downes and his wife have died at an assisted suicide clinic in Switzerland, their family said Tuesday July 14, 2009. The family said Downes, 85, and his 74-year-old wife Joan died Friday "peacefully and under circumstances of their own choosing" at a Zurich clinic run by the group Dignitas. "After 54 happy years together, they decided to end their own lives rather than continue to struggle with serious health problems," the statement said. (AP Photo/Bill Cooper/PA Wire)

ShareThis (javascript:void(0))

By Bill Cooper (AP)
Published: 2009-07-14 08:20:03
British conductor Edward Downes, a longtime stalwart at the Royal Opera and maestro of the first-ever performance at Sydney's iconic Opera House, has died with his wife at an assisted suicide clinic in Switzerland. He was 85.
The couple's children said Tuesday that Downes and his 74-year-old wife, Joan, died "peacefully and under circumstances of their own choosing" on Friday at a Zurich clinic run by the group Dignitas.
"After 54 happy years together, they decided to end their own lives rather than continue to struggle with serious health problems," said a statement from the couple's son and daughter, Caractacus and Boudicca.
The statement said Downes, who became Sir Edward when he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1991, had become almost blind and increasingly deaf. His wife, a former dancer, choreographer and television producer, had devoted years to working as his assistant. British newspapers reported that she had been diagnosed with cancer.
Dignitas founder Ludwig A. Minelli said he could not confirm the deaths due to confidentiality rules.
Downes' manager, Jonathan Groves, said he was shocked by the couple's deaths, but called their decision "typically brave and courageous."
The deaths are the latest in a series of high-profile cases that have spurred calls for a legal change in Britain, where assisted suicide and euthanasia are banned.
Despite the law, British courts have been reluctant in recent years to convict people who help loved ones travel to clinics abroad to end their lives.
London's Metropolitan Police force said it had been notified of the deaths, and was investigating.
Born in 1924 in Birmingham, central England, Edward Downes studied at Birmingham University, the Royal College of Music and under German conductor Hermann Scherchen.
In 1952 he joined London's Royal Opera House as a junior staffer _ his first job was prompting soprano Maria Callas. He made his debut as a conductor with the company the following year and went on to become associate music director. Throughout his life he retained close ties to the Royal Opera, conducting 49 different operas there over more than 50 years.
He also had a decades-long association with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, where he became principal conductor and later conductor emeritus.
Downes was known for his support for British composers and his passion for Prokofiev and Verdi, on whom he was considered an expert.
In the 1970s he became music director of the Australian Opera, conducting the first performance at the Sydney Opera House in 1973. He also worked with the Netherlands Radio Orchestra and ensembles around the world.
The couple is survived by their children, who said their parents "both lived life to the full and considered themselves to be extremely lucky to have lived such rewarding lives, both professionally and personally."
The family said there would be no funeral.

surfwalker
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
williehookem-thanks for sharing that. I guess personalities and determination play a tremendous part in what path an individual takes. This couple and the person I saw are extreme opposites.

wish4fish
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I know this is just a parable, but if true, don't know if I could do that. Would you make that sacrifice for someone you love? How far would you go to help your wife or loved one (child, etc) have a better life?

There was
a blind girl who hated herself because she was blind. She
hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He was always
there for her. She told her boyfriend, 'If I could only see
the world, I will marry you.'

One day,
someone donated a pair of eyes to her. When the bandages
came off, she was able to see everything, including her
boyfriend.

He asked
her,'Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?' The
girl looked at her boyfriend and saw that he was blind. The
sight of his closed eyelid s shocked her. She hadn't expected
that. The thought of looking at them the rest of her life
led her to refuse to marry him.

Her
boyfriend left in tears and days later wrote a note to her
saying: 'Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before
they were yours, they were mine.'

i think the boyfriend was a p-whipped piece of blubber for even doing that in the first place! the more you give to a b**** the more she wants. give her less and shes happy that's what i say:fishing:

7deadlyplugs
07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
i think the boyfriend was a p-whipped piece of blubber for even doing that in the first place! the more you give to a b**** the more she wants. give her less and shes happy that's what i say:fishing:

So why don't you tell us how your really feel? Have you been married and badly divorced to be making statements like that?:huh:

wish4fish
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
So why don't you tell us how your really feel? Have you been married and badly divorced to be making statements like that?:huh:

dude, u dont know me so dont think you know the deal. i know women, the more of a ruffneck i am the more they can't get enough of my stuff. when i try to get into a chick too much she don't wanna be bothered, their like cats, never know what they want, so deal with it:cool:

stripermania
07-20-2009, 01:31 AM
There are circumstances in everyone's life where they feel as if their problems are greater than everyone elses. We all need to learn the lesson that one is not more important than the other. A small problem to one could be a bigger problem to another.

As for selfishness as far as I am concerned we are all selfish in one way or another. From not sharing the last ice pop when we were kids to cutting someone off in driving just to get one car ahead, to complaining about others as if we are perfect, to not spending time with the family to failing to help the little old lady cross the street.

We should all work on being less selfish.