PDA

View Full Version : Who's Who

baitstealer
07-20-2009, 09:33 AM
There are some great fishing experts out there so I was wondering whom you admired. This is not limited to only the well known. You could also list a family member or friend.

Put up a good story about them and why you admire their techniques.

crosseyedbass
07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
My uncle Sal. I swear the guy can smell bass if they are around. He used to take us fishing at night by the inlets. I have a lot of good memories near those rocks. He was one of the first to talk about deciding what to target. He was really a bassman, but he would instinctively know when it was time to fish for porgies and other fish, and would help us catch them too. Great guy, he always seemed to have time for us.

surfwalker
07-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Some times within the circle of regular Surfcasters, there is one that stands out. I don’t mean with flashy gear or apparel, usually his/her gear is old, but functional and reliable, it works. I’m talking about the one individual whose mind and the instinct of the Striper is as if one. The one that knows that the fish are in close and casts parallel to the beach or stands ten feet from the edge, while others are killing their arms with overcasts to the horizon. The one who can get the correct drop of a plug in a stiff current, into the feeding water column, consistently. While all the others are throwing random junk and coming up empty. The person who just reads the water, pulls out a plug and knows it’s gonna produce. The one who looks at the water, determines its clarity and pulls out the color plug that will produce, instead of trying the rainbow of colors carried. The one who has mastered his addiction almost to perfection, and the thrill is still in his eyes, weather in a crowd or solo, just as intense as the first time his stick bent.
I’ve come across a few like this. Are they frustrating or cause for jealousy for me, no, these are the ones I admire.

bluesdude71
07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Some times within the circle of regular Surfcasters, there is one that stands out. I don’t mean with flashy gear or apparel, usually his/her gear is old, but functional and reliable, it works. I’m talking about the one individual whose mind and the instinct of the Striper is as if one. The one that knows that the fish are in close and casts parallel to the beach or stands ten feet from the edge, while others are killing their arms with overcasts to the horizon. The one who can get the correct drop of a plug in a stiff current, into the feeding water column, consistently. While all the others are throwing random junk and coming up empty. The person who just reads the water, pulls out a plug and knows it’s gonna produce. The one who looks at the water, determines its clarity and pulls out the color plug that will produce, instead of trying the rainbow of colors carried. The one who has mastered his addiction almost to perfection, and the thrill is still in his eyes, weather in a crowd or solo, just as intense as the first time his stick bent.
I’ve come across a few like this. Are they frustrating or cause for jealousy for me, no, these are the ones I admire.

I agree surfwalker. The fisherman who has paid attention to learn all he can and does not brag about what he knows. I have come to know an angler who fishes alone but gets into good conversations. He always seems to get the fish when every one else gets :skunk:.

finchaser
07-29-2009, 10:26 AM
True True that's why 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman, they are the guy's who paid there dues and learned by trial and error. They pay attention to little things like weather, winds,currents, fish patterns ,logbooks and detail to presentation . They didn't and most still don't rely on cell phones and bunker schools. They catch fish the old fashion way they earn them and learn from various situations. Bass season doen't end for allot of us when the bunker leave, most anyone can fish a fish in a blizt and score, even a blind squrrel finds an eggcorn from time to time. The True Who scores on a regular basis but not always because the learning goes on. It's been 50 years of chasing them and I'm still learning.

surfwalker
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
finchaser, the learning never gets old, just adds to the challenge and excitment for me.

finchaser
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
finchaser, the learning never gets old, just adds to the challenge and excitment for me.

Couldn't agree more

DarkSkies
07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
The True Who scores on a regular basis but not always because the learning goes on. It's been 50 years of chasing them and I'm still learning.

That's right in character for you to say that Finchaser. You're one of the most consistent fishermen I know, and also one of the most humble (cept when you're on a rant about something!);)

plugginpete
08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I admire Willy Young, that guy is a legend. I saw a pic where he got a 50 or 52" bass last year, and he's only a short guy, the bass was almost as big as him.

Frankiesurf
08-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. - Benjamin Franklin

Thank You Buckethead.

I admire this guy I only met a few times. Once at a show and at a couple of fishermans access meetings.

He fishes his butt off, learns from his mistakes and tries to capitalize on his success and the knowledge he gained in his failures. His dedication to his sport is far above most of the so called "sharpies" that people think are the bee's knees just because they wrote an article or caught a big fish. ( no offense pete)

Not to mention the crazy life he has lived and all the insight he gathered in realizing his wrongs and attempts to make them rights.

I always seem to get both a fishing lesson and a life lesson each and every time I speak with him.

It is hard not to admire a guy like that.

I am not sure people should admire those they know nothing about. Maybe an accomplishment but not the person themselves. I have spoken to guys who wrote books that couldn't answer questions about their own books. I know "experts" that I would not let my nephews speak with about fishing. A few of these guys "know it all" about fishing and almost force you to do what they say. I have debunked a few authors methods myself and I am by no means a great and studied fisherman. There is one so called "legend" who just caught his largest bass. This guy was fishing through the heydays when 50's were a dime a dozen. That is no legend in my book he is just old and been around a while.

rpsurf5
08-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I admire Willy Young, that guy is a legend. I saw a pic where he got a 50 or 52" bass last year, and he's only a short guy, the bass was almost as big as him.

Incredible , huh ! Not sure how old Willie is , he seems to have the energy of a 30 yeard old, but Willie is older then the weight of that fish! Incredible catch for him.

Not to mention all the time and energy Willie has spent for decades fighting for the rights of fisherman!!