PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Goals

Monty
07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Like just about everyone on this sight I enjoy being out on the water. I don't need to catch fish to have a great time. Not being able to go fishing whenever I want (I fish minimum 1x per week, more on holidays and vacations), I go whatever the conditions are (tide, weather, etc) whenever I can.

But I have distinct goals while fishing.
This is relatively the order of the goals:

1) Catch big Striped Bass, catch a personal best
2) Catch lots of Striped Bass
3) Catch big Blue Fish
4) Catch lots of Blue Fish

These are the main goals, what I am attempting to do. There is a mixture there, like I would rather catch short Striped Bass and Blue Fish, rather than just lots of big Blue Fish.

My common goal is fooling the fish with an artificial. I love the rush of hooking into these fish. I don't target Fluke, Weakfish or Albies (this year I will be more prepared for the Albies if they are around), its pretty much all about bass and blues. When I get on the water and start carrying out my initial plan, I then adopt to what fish are in the area, what bait is around, what the conditions are. And I fish as hard as I can to achieve these goals, concentration, judging water, paying attention to the water, moving to other locations when there are not fish present, lots of casts. I basically get lost in the pursuit of filling these goals. Wading out in rough water, heavy winds in my face with horizontal rain, completely enjoying the experience.

What are others goals when you hit the beach or jetties?
Do they change alot, are they as single minded as this or even more single minded?

storminsteve
07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
:thumbsup: I like those goals Monty. I am nowhere as dedicated as you seem to be, but I try. My goals---

1. Catch the biggest fish of my life every time I go out. Not realistic, but if you don't believe, you will never catch, that's what my grandpa always used to say.
2. Catch anything to make me feel it wasn't a wasted trip.
3. Catch at least one fish that I could being home and eat, justifying the time I spend out there. I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's a travesty to me that we catch all these short fluke and can't keep just one for dinner.:kooky:

And I love catching bluefish, big or small. :fishing:

surfwalker
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Like you, Monty, my time at the edge is never considered a waste, fish on or not. As I have posted before, I love all aspects of surfcasting-the walk, the load, the launch, the retrieve, the hit, the bend of the stick, the set, the drag screaming, the play, and the beaching through of the waves. And finally the admiration of the Striper and the release. When I first started out with this addiction, I wanted the most and biggest Bass all the time. Then I hit a few years with not one Bass at the end of my offering. It wasn’t for lack of trying, but they just weren’t around. Some sharpies would pick up a sporadic one here and there but not like years past. The productive areas were not productive, be it lack of the bunker schools, downside of the species, pollution, commercial harvest, everything was catching up. When they started to come back, I was just happy to see Stripes, any size, And I still plug that way. Sure, if big comes my way, the level of excitement will rise, but any Stripe is good for me.
“My common goal is fooling the fish with an artificial”. Exactly my feeling, but I want to catch ‘em with what I want them to hit on.
So, my primary is the Striper. Now, I do like downtown blues, but my mind is on the Striper all the time and I’ll try to get under blitzing blues or let them pass and see if I can pull a Bass that’s lazily picking up the scrapes.
Albies, what can I say about Albies. They’re here one minute, then they are over there, and then they are gone. I love these crazy fish for the fantastic runs and thrill they give me. I wish they were around more than they are, just too much fun for me.
The Fluking I do is on the walk back, only because the shoulder is pretty well shot and all I have to do is lob the cast out.
Some people's goals are to plug just for large, some for quantity, some to brag, nothing wrong with any of those, I plug just for enjoyment, my goal is personal satisfaction. I still get that exciting feeling in my stomach the night before a run down, and it's just as strong as the very first trip that I ever made. Just my personal feelings on how I enjoy surfcasting.

DarkSkies
07-23-2009, 07:35 AM
1: Catch a personal best fish. Bass are nice, but I'm constantly trying to challenge myself, so I'll take other fish too.

2: Focus on where bigger fish are likely to hang. If I know I can get some smaller fish, purposely avoiding that place, or spending only a set amount of time there, and pushing myself to go somewhere else.

3: Be willing to change my patterns, and be flexible in pursuit of these goals.

4: Try to pass on more of what I've learned.

bluesdude71
07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
My goals of being out on the water is too relax and have a good time. My job is stressful so just getting out there is completing a goal in itself. If I catch my personal best that would be a plus.

surferman
01-29-2010, 09:08 PM
My goals are to find more active spots. Some how I spend time wishing I "been at that location" instead of where I was.

finchaser
01-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Get another year in;)

vpass
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Use my fly equipment more this year the past years.
Get out more before work.
I did 60 trips last year. I want to do 80 trips this year.
I want to catch more bass this year then last, with more quality.
Try jetty fishing.

surfstix1963
01-31-2010, 08:38 AM
I have kind of given up on goals,I just want to fish again whatever I catch is a plus but for me just being out there keeps me sane.

plugginpete
02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I'd like to try to get a personal best. As much as I try mine never seem that big. No big cows in my corner.

Pebbles
02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I want to learn more about reading the water.

surfstix1963
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I just want to get back out there.:D

CharlieTuna
08-02-2010, 09:21 AM
My goals of being out on the water is too relax and have a good time. My job is stressful so just getting out there is completing a goal in itself. If I catch my personal best that would be a plus.

X2, being on the water is a goal in itself, everything else is a bonus.

rip316
08-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I want to fish with Finchaser. More than once. I promise I will put one back.

johnnysaxatilis
08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
fish new places with good friends. making trips out of cool fishing locations is a lot of fun when you have the right people there with you. sometimes the company makes or breaks a good trip. luckily all the crazy bastards i fish with deffinately always make it. :d

places I want to fish a lot AGAIN this fall. Select locations in rhodie, the ditch, the cape and outer cape, nantucket, Montauk.

places I want to fish and NEVER have include PI, Cutty, and block island. I'll hopefully be knocking two of those off the list (trips in the making)

besides that I want to increase my plug collection and feel more comfortable with some of the plugs i just end up steering away from for some reason when fishing. (doesnt everyone have a plug they just kinda go ummmmm no when you're picking one out no matter what lol)

O and my final goal is to quit my job out of some kind of manipulated circumstance where i get paid monthly and fish 6 times a week, and never work another 14 hour day the rest of my life...... reasonable right?

SurfPlug
08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I just want to be able to fish a few more years with artificals before giving it up. Goal is to have fun fishing for stripers from NJ to RI.

speedy
08-03-2010, 12:26 AM
I have kind of given up on goals,I just want to fish again whatever I catch is a plus but for me just being out there keeps me sane.
your not sane your nuts just like the rest of us :d:d:d:HappyWave::HappyWave::HappyWave:

albanyguy1
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
My goal is just to get to the NJ surf and fish. Being that I live in upstate NY, that is a big challenge. Last year, 3x. This year, my goal is 4.

SurfPlug
08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
My goal is just to get to the NJ surf and fish. Being that I live in upstate NY, that is a big challenge. Last year, 3x. This year, my goal is 4.

That is quite some distance to travel.

albanyguy1
08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
That is quite some distance to travel.

about 4.5hrs....but I just love the NJ surf. Have met some cool fellow surf fishermen as well. Got to meet up w/ Dark last year. Great guy.

surferman
03-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Get another year in;)

I just want to fish again whatever I catch is a plus but for me just being out there keeps me sane.

I just want to be able to fish a few more years with artificals before giving it up.

Gentlemen, I don't know you personally but have really been able to ramp up my game by reading some of the informative posts you have put up here.:learn:

Finchaser, it seems like you did get another year in. How is your health and will you be fishing this year? Surfstix1963, will you be able to fish as well? Surfplug I am not completely remembering your story, but I remember something about you haveing some problems too.

We live in a world where many are self-centered, and constantly complaining about small problems on many of the internet fishing sites. Yet here is a post that struck me, mostly because I only vaguely remember the problems of you 3 gentlemen. (I am sorry for that). But what I do remember is the wealth of information you gentlemen have given to us here. If I have not said thank you in the past, thank you today, and I hope you will be able to fish, like you said in your goals. It sounds like a simple request, and I hope that God grants that to you. Thank you and wishes for continued good health!:thumbsup:

rip316
03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Gentlemen, I don't know you personally but have really been able to ramp up my game by reading some of the informative posts you have put up here.:learn:

Finchaser, it seems like you did get another year in. How is your health and will you be fishing this year? Surfstix1963, will you be able to fish as well? Surfplug I am not completely remembering your story, but I remember something about you haveing some problems too.

We live in a world where many are self-centered, and constantly complaining about small problems on many of the internet fishing sites. Yet here is a post that struck me, mostly because I only vaguely remember the problems of you 3 gentlemen. (I am sorry for that). But what I do remember is the wealth of information you gentlemen have given to us here. If I have not said thank you in the past, thank you today, and I hope you will be able to fish, like you said in your goals. It sounds like a simple request, and I hope that God grants that to you. Thank you and wishes for continued good health!:thumbsup:

That was very nice of you Surferman. Great guys on this site.

finchaser
03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
thank you much appreciated,and yes I am going to fish this year god willing

gjb1969
03-12-2011, 10:48 PM
just to get out more and stop playing the wait and see game fish or no fish just get out there

skinner
04-03-2011, 02:09 PM
But I have distinct goals while fishing.
This is relatively the order of the goals:

1) Catch big Striped Bass, catch a personal best
3) Catch big Blue Fish

My common goal is fooling the fish with an artificial. I love the rush of hooking into these fish. And I fish as hard as I can to achieve these goals, concentration, judging water, paying attention to the water, moving to other locations when there are not fish present, lots of casts. I basically get lost in the pursuit of filling these goals. Wading out in rough water, heavy winds in my face with horizontal rain, completely enjoying the experience.

What are others goals when you hit the beach or jetties?
Do they change alot, are they as single minded as this or even more single minded?

I want to catch bigger bass each year, Monty, as well as a monster bluefish over 20 pounds. I think it is harder to beat the 20 lb mark with bluefish than it is to catch a huge striped bass. jmo. I liked the way you described your single minded pursuit of the goals. I think that is a good thing, for if you do not have motivation, you will probably not achieve the goal. I too want to catch more fish on artificials. There are times when it seems bait is the only thing that will work though. It's tough to get past this hurdle.

But what I do remember is the wealth of information you gentlemen have given to us here. If I have not said thank you in the past, thank you today, and I hope you will be able to fish, like you said in your goals. It sounds like a simple request, and I hope that God grants that to you. Thank you and wishes for continued good health!:thumbsup:

Well said surferman, X2.
Thanks for all the knowledge guys, and best wishes for better health.