PDA

View Full Version : lastest goverment striped bass survey says...

finchaser
07-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Yearly average for big breeders tagged and released for government surveys was approx 43,000.last couple of years. The average for the past 20 years 2100. This year was 146, lets hear it for the snag and drop tackle store hero's:beatin:. There almost gone again:(.

Stripercoast1
07-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I lived the crash, saw it coming again, screamed about it for the last 6 years.
Frustrating.
Join Stripers Forever, they are doing good things.

finchaser
07-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I lived the crash, saw it coming again, screamed about it for the last 6 years.
Frustrating.
Join Stripers Forever, they are doing good things.

You and me both it's sad but it fell on deaf ears, now that the damage is done the die hards will pay for it:( I never thought I'd live through another crash. Something that took 20 years to rebuild destroyed in a few.
Been a member of SF since they started

Stripercoast1
07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Too many new guy's that don't understand what great was. things were OK to good for a few years, nothing like what it once was.
Game fish status and slots are the only way we will ever bring it back and maintain it. Too many big fish being killed right now. Almost like a bad movie being replayed the Cows are hung up at Block Island and being slaughtered in numbers that make me want to puke. 40's to 60's by the boat load. head boats 2 trips a day 50 limits each trip, fish are all breeders.
Do the math, with the current technology and success rates it will happen twice as fast as last time.

DarkSkies
07-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey Finchaser can you please post a link for that? I think it sinks in better if guys can read the stats for themselves. Thanks.

finchaser
07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey Finchaser can you please post a link for that? I think it sinks in better if guys can read the stats for themselves. Thanks.

Was no link in Ristori's conservation column in the Fisherman

vpass
07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
I belong to stripersforever. I had written to senators and represenatives and voiced my opinion. We need to do something quickly. In my opinion it not to late.

here are links to read.
http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/Stripers_Research/I011EB91F.0/TW%20FRR%20piece%20on%20SB%20July%202009.pdf

http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/Stripers_Research/I010CD677

surfwalker
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
vpass- thanks for posting those links and for writing to the reps on your views . I think everyone who is serious about the Striper and actively pursues it should be educated in all aspects of this fish, not only catching it. Learn about the young of the year index and what it means to the future of said fish. How the taking of so many breeders will eventually lead to a decline, don’t think it can’t happen, again. Sure, I’d like to see the Striper as a game fish throughout the entire Striper coast, but where money is involved (head boats, commercials, etc.) you will be fought against till the bitter end. But that doesn’t mean people can’t fight them or at least come up with a decent plan for all to benefit from. Not everyone will be happy with new regs, but it’s not for the fisher to be happy, it’s about the Striper. There are representatives that can be written to in order to oppose the lobbyists. If you stand by and do nothing, then nothing gets done. If you’re serious about game fish status throughout and size limits and amounts kept, then educate yourself. Sign petitions and listen to those sites that advise on the proper channels to follow. I don’t have all the answers and I think people should be able to keep a catch, but within reason. The Striper wasn’t always classified as a game fish in Jersey and a few other states, so, changes can be made.

rpsurf5
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
It seems alot of people are taking stripers with no discretion whatsover. Not to single out the party or charter boats, but these guys are going out every night, catching and keeping 2 keepers per fare. Good sized fish also, 20lber, 30lbers, 40 lbers, there isnt an endless supply of these fish. They are not hard to catch and on top of this these guys are experts. I hate seeing pictures of 6 guys on a boat with the bow loaded up with 12 good sized fish.

dogfish
11-03-2009, 01:36 PM
It seems alot of people are taking stripers with no discretion whatsover. Not to single out the party or charter boats, but these guys are going out every night, catching and keeping 2 keepers per fare. Good sized fish also, 20lber, 30lbers, 40 lbers, there isnt an endless supply of these fish. They are not hard to catch and on top of this these guys are experts. I hate seeing pictures of 6 guys on a boat with the bow loaded up with 12 good sized fish.

I agree, only one minor disagreement, the head boats get their share of skunks also. The new Chesapeake figures coming out show all these posts to be true. The numbers are down. Black and white, pure logic.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm Post subject: Press Release: Stripers Forever: YoY dissapointing again

October 21, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The annual young-of-the-year striped bass survey recently released by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (MD DNR) reflects reports received by Stripers Forever during the 2009 season of a deteriorating recreational striper fishery from Maine to North Carolina.

Stripers Forever is an internet-based conservation organization which advocates managing the striped bass as a game fish by eliminating all commercial harvest of wild stripers.

“The graphic released with the MD DNR report depicts the numbers of striped bass spawned in the Chesapeake Bay,” says Brad Burns, president of Stripers Forever. “Since most stripers that migrate north and south along the coast are born in the Chesapeake Bay, the MD DNR graphic indicates how future runs of stripers along the Atlantic Coast will measure up. [B]The outlook for the species is not an optimistic one.”

http://www.flyfishinginmaine.com/assets/sf.gif

David Ross PhD -- a scientist, Stripers Forever board member, and longtime striped bass angler -- adds the following comments on the MD DNR report:

“The MD DNR has been doing this young-of-the-year survey for over 50 years and the resulting numbers are thought to be a good indication of spawning success. However, the trend of the recent data (from 2001 to 2009) seems to be more of a measure of spawning failure.

“Scientists, including fishery biologists and oceanographers like me, will often come up with reasons or hypotheses to explain unexpected changes or anomalies in their data. But for fishermen, these reasons have little importance – the fish are either there or not.

“I suspect that some fishery managers will see reasons to be optimistic about the recent data. Others, especially those not involved with the MD DNR, should see reasons for concern. If you look at the index from 2001, it has to be evident to even the most optimistic observer that the trend of the index is heading south – quickly.

“It really does not matter what the reasons are- -- the recent spawning numbers are not good. Look again at the graph: the highs (50.75 to 7.9 – an 84 percent drop) and lows (4.73 to 3.2 – a 32 percent drop) are clearly declining.

How can this be good for the future of the striped bass?” --- David Ross PhD.

For further information, contact Brad Burns by e-mail at stripers@whatifnet.com (stripers@whatifnet.com).

clamchucker
11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
“I suspect that some fishery managers will see reasons to be optimistic about the recent data. Others, especially those not involved with the MD DNR, should see reasons for concern. If you look at the index from 2001, it has to be evident to even the most optimistic observer that the trend of the index is heading south – quickly.

“It really does not matter what the reasons are- -- the recent spawning numbers are not good. Look again at the graph: the highs (50.75 to 7.9 – an 84 percent drop) and lows (4.73 to 3.2 – a 32 percent drop) are clearly declining.

How can this be good for the future of the striped bass?” --- David Ross PhD.

I'm not surprised. The last fantastic fishing I remember were the years around 1997-2000. Things have been going downhill ever since. At least now that is reflected in the YoY figures.

jimbob
11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
vpass- thanks for posting those links and for writing to the reps on your views . I think everyone who is serious about the Striper and actively pursues it should be educated in all aspects of this fish, not only catching it. Learn about the young of the year index and what it means to the future of said fish. How the taking of so many breeders will eventually lead to a decline, don’t think it can’t happen, again. Sure, I’d like to see the Striper as a game fish throughout the entire Striper coast, but where money is involved (head boats, commercials, etc.) you will be fought against till the bitter end. But that doesn’t mean people can’t fight them or at least come up with a decent plan for all to benefit from. Not everyone will be happy with new regs, but it’s not for the fisher to be happy, it’s about the Striper. There are representatives that can be written to in order to oppose the lobbyists. If you stand by and do nothing, then nothing gets done. If you’re serious about game fish status throughout and size limits and amounts kept, then educate yourself. Sign petitions and listen to those sites that advise on the proper channels to follow. I don’t have all the answers and I think people should be able to keep a catch, but within reason. The Striper wasn’t always classified as a game fish in Jersey and a few other states, so, changes can be made.

Surfwalker hit the nail on the head. Manage the fisheries for the fish, not the users.

ledhead36
02-03-2010, 05:39 PM
People just want to close their eyes to the fact that the bass are dwindling down. They are more interested in getting their quota the conserving for the future.